Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Lensatic Compass
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/01/2015 :  14:47:43  Show Profile
Was cleaning out a closet this week when I happened on a beaut of a Lensatic Compass I've had since my teens. We were all big into hiking, camping and outdoor activities, and I've used this compass to traverse the White Mountains of New Hampshire, do a bunch of rock scrambles in NYS and hit the Appalachian Trail in CT - Bear Mtn and in MA - Mt Greylock.

I've done a lot of land navigation using resection to find my position. Same as using a hand-bearing compass on the water to determine your lines of position to get a fix on a nautical chart.
While electronics have obviated much of the practical need for compasses and charts, you never know.

They are exceedingly accurate since you can use the small magnifying glass to see the exact degree reading on the card, and you can very accurately get a bearing using the slot on the lens-piece and the wire in the cap. They are also quite rugged, since they have only one critical moving part - usually a jeweled or hardened steel point to allow the card to rotate smoothly.

Who has used a lensatic compass in the past either for land or marine navigation?

Here's a typical one from the Sports Authority catalog.

Lensatic Compass

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2015 :  21:38:23  Show Profile
Many miles in my younger days. We called orienteering, but that now implies a race. A lensatic compass, map and the natural world was plenty, and not something to race through. Still isn't for me. The accuracy was awesome on land, far better than what you can manage on a rocky boat

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2015 :  22:40:28  Show Profile
When I first bought Utopia I thought one of the coolest things about it was the bulkhead compass. When I learned to sail a compass was an invaluable piece of equipment. Now, with GPS available, it is more of an antique than anything. I can foresee times when it would be useful (lost power, etc.) but it largely serves as an emergency backup to my GPS.

Joe Wergers
Utopia
Fleet 7/Oceanside, CA
78 C25 FK/SR #381

Edited by - Sloop Smitten on 02/01/2015 22:41:00
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2015 :  10:19:05  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I've got a Brunton knock-off that's highly respected in the geology world, can't think of the manufacturer off hand. I carried it with my surveying gear, but only took it out when I needed critical accuracy, otherwise I used a Silva (much-much less expensive, and nearly as accurate). The Silva dangled from a piece of para-cord from my safety vest so I wouldn't lose it, the "Brunton" was in a hard leather pouch for protection.

I also collect old compasses & navigation gear, I think I have six sextants, three theodolites, a couple of levels, wooden drafting equipment, etc.

I've made a quadrant out of wood from plans in Latitude Hooks and Azimuth Rings. There are a number of other navigation tools in there I'd like to have time to make.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page