Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Outboard Shaft Lenght
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanS48
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/12/2015 :  23:15:48  Show Profile
Greetings All
Boat: 82 FK Std rig.
Can I use an outboard with a 20 in shaft length? I see that many for sailboats are a 25 in length but told by others that a 20 is fine.
Comments please.

Edited by - on

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2015 :  07:25:09  Show Profile
A 25"(extra long) is best but a long(20") will work. If you are buying a motor I would target a xlong shaft engine. If the boat came with a perfectly good Lshaft then use it. I have a 20" Honda that came with my boat and although the prop will pop out of the water in rougher conditions it's not that big of a deal to live with. I put the mount fully down to stop this from happening and in 5yrs never had the engine come close to getting swamped. If you stay with the Lshaft then the mount can be fine tuned by removing it from the transom and moving it up to the last bolt holes in the mount. This will raise the engine some (1" or2") when in the fully down position thus positioning the engine at a better height. All this said, A 25" is still the best if you have a choice.

Edited by - islander on 01/13/2015 07:59:15
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2015 :  08:22:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

...If you stay with the Lshaft then the mount can be fine tuned by removing it from the transom and moving it up to the last bolt holes in the mount. This will raise the engine some (1" or2")...
I suspect he means to move it down to the highest bolt holes, which will lower it...

The importance of a longer shaft increases with the length of the boat, since the issue is fore-and-aft pitching causing the prop to ventilate, momentarily over-revving, and losing power and cooling water. 20" is generally adequate on a boat up to 20-22'... But as Islander suggests, if you're buying new and are on anything larger than a small lake, most of us here will recommend dropping another "boat unit" or so for the 25-incher (as does Catalina Yachts in the owner's manual).

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/13/2015 08:26:31
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2015 :  08:42:11  Show Profile
quote:
I suspect he means to move it down to the highest bolt holes, which will lower it.

No Dave I mean raise the mount. With a 20" shaft motor using the second to lowest setting on the mount works only in totally smooth conditions so when things get a little rougher with wakes or waves you have to drop the motor to the lowest setting. Although this puts the prop low enough it's actually too low so to get it a little higher you have to move the mount up. The perfect setting for a 20" shaft would be about half way between the second to lowest and the lowest setting.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2015 :  10:26:51  Show Profile
Sorry... Of course! That was obvious!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2015 :  11:58:11  Show Profile
Has anyone ever added a third notch between the lowest and the next position?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2015 :  12:13:36  Show Profile
That's a thought but taking this photo from CD it doesn't appear to be enough room between the other two to do it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2015 :  12:46:34  Show Profile
So Jan, as you can surmise from above, placement and vertical travel of the bracket plays a large part in getting the prop low enough to maintain adequate bite in various conditions.

I achieved some additional depth by cutting off part of the lower starboard corner of my bracket. My cavitation plate sits about 1" below the water when the boat is at rest.

Someday, when I have nothing to do I will explore an extension kit for my Yamaha 9.9 4-stroke.

Edited by - OJ on 01/13/2015 12:59:40
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2015 :  20:29:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OJ

...Someday, when I have nothing to do I will explore an extension kit for my Yamaha 9.9 4-stroke.
FWIW, I looked into that for a Honda once... The evidence (and the dealer) suggested it would be cheaper to sell the old L motor and buy a new XL. The extension process involves a new drive shaft, a new shift shaft, a new exhaust pipe, the housing extension, and (in my case) the labor... and I would have ended up with an 8-9 year old motor. Instead I ended up with a much nicer model with electric start, automatic choke, high thrust, and maybe 20 more lbs.--all for a net cost of something line $800.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Law
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
159 Posts

Response Posted - 01/16/2015 :  18:47:30  Show Profile
I had a long shaft 8hp Honda on "About Time" I can't recall ever having the prop come out of the water . Any body looking for a 8 HP Honda pull start?

Frank Law

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page