Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Which Cat 25 version??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jaydon
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/10/2015 :  15:29:07  Show Profile
Well, just bought a Catalina 25. I was wondering if there is a way to tell which version I have. It is a 1987. It's a fin keel; but I don't know if it's a tall rig or not. Is there a way to tell from the Hull #? The number starts CTYK...
Any help would be great.
I know i'll have a ton of questions; but for the rig will be OK.
We just spent the day cleaning it out. Filled the truck with ???
Going to need some new cushions, carpet and try to figure the wireing.
Just FYI, the boat (and us) are in RI.
Jay

Edited by - on

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2015 :  15:49:56  Show Profile
Welcome to the forum! You're joining at a good time. In the winter, most of us can't sail, so the next alternative is to talk about sailing.

Probably the easiest way to know if it's a tall rig or standard rig is to measure the mast length. The tall rig should be 30' long.

You can get lots of good basic info from the parts catalogue, at this hyperlink: http://catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/partscat.asp

Edited by - Steve Milby on 01/10/2015 15:53:27
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2015 :  15:51:40  Show Profile
Jay,
Welcome to Catalina Boats and welcome to the forum!
Which part of RI (yes its a small state but its big enough).
To determine your rig, take a look at the specs in the Manuals and Brochures section to the left and judge the height of the mast. You may be able to use the halyard to make an estimate of height.
What interior do you have? fold-down table with starboard and port side settee benches, or a dinette style, with the diner booth setup?
Also, check your hull number which should be readible using your hull ID number. CTYK, its the dot-dot-dot that makes the difference.
Then go into the section marked Boat Search at the left. There are two lists - the new list that had been added a few years back where folks went in and added their boats and the old list - from the days that dinosaurs ruled the earth, waters and skies. You might actually find your hull number in there someplace if you're lucky.
Whatever you find, add it to your signature and if you feel inspired, add a small photo there too.
Cushions on the inside? Carpet can be a bit tricky - form fitting it to the crazy curves inside the cabin.
Wiring is listed in the technical section - how its supposed to be wired - but depending on previous owners, you may have a rat's nest of crimp connectors and wirenuts or a very beautiful thing!
#10 wire should be a minimum for any run, and it gets thicker from there. Always put a fuse (never a breaker) on any cables coming from the battery or alternator. And the rest is covered in Don Casey's "Sailboat Electrics Simplified" or "Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance". The former specifies only electrical items, the latter contains Casey's electrical book as a chapter and lot more.
Welcome and good luck! You're likely to get a lot of help and answers here.

Edited by - Voyager on 01/10/2015 15:56:02
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2015 :  17:27:06  Show Profile
Hi all,
1st: I'm in south county but the boat will be in Allens Harbor on the west side of the bay.
2nd: It's CTYK5645C787.
3rd: The more I think about it, i'll probably keep the carpet. The way it's cut in two pieces and bound, it may be the original carpet.
4th: The boat has the traditional interior. Short settee to port. The port cushion is missing. I plan on having one made; but forgot to make a template before I got it covered. Can I assume that the length is the same as the back and the width the same as the stbd settee?
I'll check the boat search for mine.
Later
Jay

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2015 :  17:32:17  Show Profile
Went to register my boat; what's the hull number? Where can I find it. I know my lightning has it engraved on the CB trunk. How about the Cat 25? Is it part of the hull ID number?
Jay

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2015 :  07:11:39  Show Profile
The most reliable way to figure out if you have the tall rig is to run a tape measure up the mast and measure it's approximate length. The tall rig mast is 30', regular is 28'. You won't get the tape measure all the way to the top, so expect to measure around 27.5' or 29.5'.

The tall rig mast is also larger, you can find some circumference measurements if you search the archives.

From the factory the tall rig uses the outer holes on the chainplates and the standard rig uses the inner holes, but that is easy to switch and unreliable as an indicator.

I wouldn't make any assumptions about cushion sizes.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2015 :  09:16:00  Show Profile
Another welcome! Your hull number is the four digits after CTYK (5645). What follows (C787) indicates the hull was "certified" (came out of the mold, I think) in July of 1987. All of that is etched into the gelcoat on the starboard side of the transom, just below the rub-rail. There should also be a tag somewhere in the interior, but the location seems to have varied over the years.

In case you aren't aware, I'll put in a plug for the third-party vendor of many replacement parts and excellent upgrades for the C-25: [url="http://catalinadirect.com/"]Catalina Direct[/url] in California. I found their C-25 Handbook to be the best $10 I spent on the boat--it's essentially their catalog in a ring binder, but includes many useful recommendations for maintenance and upgrades. They send out free updates each year. They're also helpful on the phone--they do know these boats.

As suggested above, once you've determined your rig, you should put some basic information in your "signature" (besides "Jay") so it automatically appears with each question you post. You can see that on most of our participants' posts. Many answers are dependent on year/rig/keel.

What's your sailing background? Plans, aspirations,...? The Narragansett is a great venue, with wonderful destinations within reach!

Welcome to one of the best sailing communities on the web!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

wanderer13
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2015 :  18:37:41  Show Profile
Hi Jay - Tie a messenger line to one of your halyards and run it up. Mark off at the bottom of the mast and haul it back down. If it's about 28' it's a standard rig and if it's 30' then it's a tall rig.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2015 :  18:56:03  Show Profile
Jay, Allen's Harbor is a great spot to access the Narragansett Bay, especially coming in from South County. Was just up in Wickford this September and the location on the Bay's west side gives you a great number of destinations: Prudence Island, Jamestown, Newport and up into Warwick and Providence if you're so inclined. Block and the Islands too.
Best of luck fitting her out come spring.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2015 :  07:47:33  Show Profile
Welcome Jay! Yes, good to have a newbie join the ranks in the off season - keeping us occupied dispensing free and expert advice. Many, many years of experience, helpful ideas and photos reside here

As for determining which rigging you have, if you are lazy like me, you could look for a "T" stenciled on your main or foresail bags

Edited by - OJ on 01/20/2015 09:10:14
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2015 :  09:20:13  Show Profile
By the way, as you may have already found, when an agency asks for a hull number (as in registering or insuring a boat), they almost always want the entire "Hull Information Number" (HIN), which is the 12 characters and digits discussed above.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2015 :  10:09:32  Show Profile
Hi all,
Just to thank all those who have recently replied.
I think I would need the 'original' sail bags to look for the T.
How about the luff measurement of the main? I tried looking for it, no luck. Mine is at the loft for service; but anyone know where I can find the dimensions.
Yeah, Allens Harbor is nice. Very protected. I've heard the channel in can be tricky.
I ordered the manual from Cat Direct. Not theirs (yet), the original Catalina one. That may answer a lot of my questions.
I try to make it to the boat (~35 miles away) once a week if the weather is OK. Have to get the rest of the cushions off. Maybe new ones?
Trace down electrics will be a big job.
Find out everything I can about the head (head itself, holding tank, hoses, pumpout, etc)
Water system.
And, of course, running and standing rigging. The boat is stored mast up and not a lot of room to get it down. Be great if it was down so I could go through the lines and electric; but...:(
Have a great day, all.
Jay

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2015 :  10:43:25  Show Profile
Jay, The luff of a standard rig mainsail is 24.66
The luff of a tall rig is 27.66. Much of the original parts, sizes, electrical etc. can be found in the 'Manuals and Brochures' section on the left side of the forum page.

Edited by - islander on 01/20/2015 10:43:58
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2015 :  10:56:00  Show Profile
Good info on the Catalina Handbook, Dave, but the price is up to nearly $20 now. I still ordered it....

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2015 :  16:44:10  Show Profile
Again welcome and congratulations on your C25 ... great boat. As always with a new-to-you boat, you will want to tackle countless projects as time, season and funds (or the Admiral) allow. As some of the experienced members of this forum have noted in past discussions, focus your initial efforts on ensuring the safety of yourself, your crew and your boat. Do a thorough inspection and inventory of the standing rigging (when was it last changed?, running rigging, steering system, VHF, lights (if you plan on evening/night sailing), personal gear, etc. and then prioritize your attention. The electrical systems on these boats are notorious so yes verify that yours is safe but, if so, you might want to focus your efforts elsewhere at first. Once your boat is safe, gain some experience with it and then prioritize the countless projects you'll dream about all winter long. Of course not far behind safety is the enjoyment and comfort of the Admiral and your family. As such, a clean boat with a few amenities, such as a functional head, freshwater system, music, ... should be considered while the weathered teak, rough bottom paint... may just have to wait another season. This forum is rich in ideas and fortunately you live in an area where the weather may allow an early start on the sailing season compared to many of us, so get out as soon as you can and enjoy.

Edited by - glivs on 01/20/2015 16:46:26
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2015 :  17:37:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jaydon

. . . I think would need the 'original' sail bags to look for the T . . .

That may well depend on the sail loft. We are on our third mainsail and bags #2 and #3 (by Ullman) have the "T".

Sounds like you have all the measurements you need now.

Good luck and don't forget to post your rigging and keel configuration in your signature!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 01/21/2015 :  10:08:27  Show Profile
Good morning
Well, Not too much going with this cold; however, got the sails back and before I left the loft we measured the main. So, I have a std rig.
On the plus side, the sails required no work other than cleaning.
Didn't roll out the jib; but, the main looked almost new.
Jay

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 01/21/2015 :  16:04:44  Show Profile
Evening
Just reading thru the manual (on the left) and saw that all the thru hulls are gate valves. How tough are they to replace with good ones?
Jay

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/21/2015 :  19:21:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jaydon

On the plus side, the sails required no work...

Not that a standard rig is "on the minus side"... Unless you plan to race, the SR will perform nicely in your venue, and the boom rides a whole foot higher over the cockpit, rather than at ear level! (Nicer for a bimini, too.)

My '85 (older than yours) had ball valves on the through-hulls. You may be looking at a manual for older models, which also were built with improper through-hulls that were re-named "to-hulls" on this forum. "On the plus side," you don't have those, either.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/22/2015 :  08:57:39  Show Profile
As Dave said your 87 (Same as mine) doesn't have gate valves. You have 1/4 turn Ball valves although they are plastic. Catalina improved the boat as the years progressed fixing some of the problems of the earlier boats. This was a major reason I only looked at mid 80's and later vintage Cat 25's when I was looking for one.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 01/22/2015 :  09:40:41  Show Profile
Thanks for the info on the hull valves. That takes a load off.
By the way; my "plus side" comment was on the sails; not on finding I have the STD rig.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 01/22/2015 :  20:55:41  Show Profile
Welcome Jay
I'm also a newbie here. My name is Jan, from Newport RI, have a mooring right in the inner part of Brentons cove by Ft Adams / Sail Newport. Mine is an 82 C25 with a few needs but nothing I can't handle. We should do lunch sometime. I'll be at the Providence boatshow tomorrow evening [1/23] - look for a tall guy with suspenders if you happen to be attending.
C25 STD FK
Don't have a name just yet but leaning towards 'Pixie' my favorite cat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

wanderer13
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2015 :  10:52:56  Show Profile
Hi Jan,

Jim here. I'm also a Cat 25 owner in Newport and would love to talk to other Catalina owners in the area. Reach out if you're interested.

quote:
Originally posted by JanS48

Welcome Jay
I'm also a newbie here. My name is Jan, from Newport RI, have a mooring right in the inner part of Brentons cove by Ft Adams / Sail Newport. Mine is an 82 C25 with a few needs but nothing I can't handle. We should do lunch sometime. I'll be at the Providence boatshow tomorrow evening [1/23] - look for a tall guy with suspenders if you happen to be attending.
C25 STD FK
Don't have a name just yet but leaning towards 'Pixie' my favorite cat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2015 :  14:44:55  Show Profile
Wow, nice to see so many C-25 owners around me. I am not heading to the Prv Boat show. Not enough there anymore for me. Plus, you know us Rhode Islanders; Ashaway to Prov means a hotel.
I just rev'd the Manual from Cat Direct. Lots of info to pour through. It gives me a good starting point with the electrics and plumbing.
My big items now are to get the OB off and serviced. Love to get a new 4 stk; but that may have to wait. New cushions, head rebuild, running rigging & wood refinishing are high on the list right now.
I am set up for PMs for anyone who wants get a hold of me.
Maybe us locals can get together to talk about our boats & projects this winter.
Jay

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page