Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Vent Placement
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigbeartr57
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/29/2014 :  22:06:10  Show Profile
I noticed a little condensation the other day and a friend recommended one of the round Nico vents (non-solar). I think I'm going to go ahead and get one but am having trouble picking the best place to install it. Any recommendations? I've seen that some people put them on the forward hatch over the v-berth and I've seen some on placed just forward of that. Any Pros and Cons on those placements? I'm kinda thinking that it might fit nicely just after the mast under the boom, between the mast and sliding companionway hatch. Has anyone tried this?

Edited by - on

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 12/29/2014 :  22:23:42  Show Profile
My '79 came with one of these vents on the cabin top right where you want to put yours. It bugged me so much having that obstruction in my path that I removed it and filled in the hole. I control moisture during the winter with chemical or electric air dryers, during the sailing season I don't have any condensation. I would never cut a hole like that in my '90 boat, you might want to consider how big your moisture problem is before cutting one in yours. They are hard to get rid of.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2014 :  04:22:38  Show Profile
on craigs same thought pattern, that is why many put it in the hatch: so that piece can be simple replaced if it doesn't work out. Of course the obvious answer is the hatch IS a venting device.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2014 :  09:54:36  Show Profile

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SJ
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2014 :  10:34:38  Show Profile
We have ours in the middle of the forward hatch. You will need a cover to replace the unit when sailing, as the jib sheets will launch the vent. From experience!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2014 :  11:27:44  Show Profile
My non-working vent (or should I say passive vent?) is smack dab in the middle of the hatch. You're right - the jib lines catch on it at the worst possible times and now that it no longer works, its something I wish I had never installed.
Instead, I've been thinking about mounting my O2Cool 12V fan loosely on my crib boards. I've got a spare solar panel to power it. The top crib board includes louvers to allow the fan to suck air through the boat. Of course, that setup would only work while the sun shines, and not when you need it most - overnight when the relative humidity is typically at its highest.
Net-net: unless you're wiling to replace the Nicro Vent every few years if it fails, don't.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigbeartr57
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2014 :  17:11:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ct95949

My '79 came with one of these vents on the cabin top right where you want to put yours. It bugged me so much having that obstruction in my path that I removed it and filled in the hole. I control moisture during the winter with chemical or electric air dryers, during the sailing season I don't have any condensation. I would never cut a hole like that in my '90 boat, you might want to consider how big your moisture problem is before cutting one in yours. They are hard to get rid of.

How did it bug you? I kinda think thats about the most out of the way spot on deck, where I would be lest likely to walk since the boom would overhang it. What kind of chemical dryer do you use? I went to the boat this afternoon and all the windows were covered in condensation. It's not gonna rain for the next couple days so I opened a window. I was going to leave the fwd hatch open too, but the marina isn't entirely secure and I didn't feel like that would be the safest option.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2014 :  20:59:02  Show Profile
Our vent is solar and located above the head, as shown on LeeKey, we've had the unit 7 years and works great.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2015 :  17:36:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bigbeartr57

quote:
Originally posted by ct95949

How did it bug you? I kinda think thats about the most out of the way spot on deck, where I would be lest likely to walk since the boom would overhang it. What kind of chemical dryer do you use? I went to the boat this afternoon and all the windows were covered in condensation. It's not gonna rain for the next couple days so I opened a window. I was going to leave the fwd hatch open too, but the marina isn't entirely secure and I didn't feel like that would be the safest option.

You're right, under the boom shouldn't be in the way. Mine was just forward and starboard of the mast. I use Dry Z Air http://www.drizair.com/ granules in the container, surprising how much water they collect. I have heard that leaving a light on in the cabin can help, but then you would probably need your charger plugged in.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 01/04/2015 :  17:28:41  Show Profile
I had two, installed by a P.O., one mounted over the main cabin just aft of the bulkhead, and one mounted over the v-berth forward of the dead-light. I replaced the forward one with a Nicro Day-Night Plus solar powered unit and was very happy with it. I didn't replace the one over the main cabin because it was under a cover when we were not sailing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2015 :  04:19:49  Show Profile
I have power available at my slip so I made a new top hatch board and placed a computer fan in it. (There is a photo in the photo gallery) Others have done this as well. Seems to work. I also have hung the water collection bags in the head area. when we are on the boat for an over night without power. From what I have read about the newer solar vents they have a short life span. I guess you could use a 12v computer fan and a solar panel and run off the house battery(s).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2015 :  10:06:58  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
This is similar to Ray's install. My photos are old. I have since replaced the vent that stopped working with an updated Nicro vent. The new ones have a button to shut down the vent versus pulling out the battery.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2015 :  10:46:55  Show Profile
<< I've been thinking about mounting my O2Cool 12V fan loosely on my crib boards. I've got a spare solar panel to power it. The top crib board includes louvers to allow the fan to suck air through the boat. Of course, that setup would only work while the sun shines, and not when you need it most - overnight when the relative humidity is typically at its highest. >>

Why not use a very low power fan and connect to your house batteries?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2015 :  13:11:44  Show Profile
Ray
That might be possible. I'll look around for a smaller fan

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigbeartr57
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2015 :  13:39:58  Show Profile
I kinda like that idea. I think I have a few old computer fans that might fit the bill for a project like that.

I'm also in the middle of building new companionway hatch boards. Might be a good opportunity to build that in

Edited by - bigbeartr57 on 01/05/2015 13:42:58
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2015 :  04:33:02  Show Profile
I've been thinking about a design for some time and I figured this winter would be a good time to make it. Connecting a 12 volt computer fan to the house batteries, or a separate battery. The computer fan makers have fans that they say make no noise. So my questions are what's the lowest watt fan I can find at 12 volts and how much would it draw down the battery after several nights?

Do I hafta put in any kind of amp limiter on the incoming line?? Can I make the fan run a little slower and use less power?

Would an extra battery next to the fan be a better design, so that it could not draw down the main battery?

What size solar panel and where to put it? I'm thinking just aft of the mast.

I've got an extra micro vent housing to work with.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2015 :  05:21:38  Show Profile
Here is a 12v ball bearing fan

http://www.amazon.com/18dBA-1700RPM-Silent-Cooling-Computer/dp/B00NQ2SNV2/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1420546688&sr=1-14&keywords=12v+computer+fan

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2015 :  05:38:12  Show Profile
Redeye, I remember you saying you got inspiration from my design. You can always find it here, halfway down the page...
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28193&whichpage=5

I went with an AC fan so that I could remove the batteries if need be and keep it going on shorepower. The fan I purchased came with a speed dial on it.

Here was a rough sketch I did for it. Only difference is that I used the original hatchboard instead of cutting a ply board with a vent on it..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2015 :  06:15:55  Show Profile
That's a nice design. Thank You.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2015 :  07:59:31  Show Profile
Rob,
That's a nice design. It would probably work fine since 1. You don't need that much wind, just a constant exchange of air and 2. All the air is being vented through the louvers - high efficiency. And the classic felt pen on a napkin sketch is genius!

When I thought about Ray's suggestion, I thought of three DC boxer fans mounted side by side that would more or less span my current crib board louvers and I could wire then in series - 4VDC apiece. That would make them run at a lower power draw. I'd make a wooden or plastic frame that could snap on the inside of the hatch and fully cover the louvers. Could use some foam tape weatherstripping to seal the edges

I just need to check power consumption and maybe add a small resistor in series to the fan motors.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2015 :  09:58:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

When I thought about Ray's suggestion, I thought of three DC boxer fans mounted side by side that would more or less span my current crib board louvers and I could wire then in series - 4VDC apiece.

I easily max out the air changes possible in the boat with the single fan on about 1/2 to 3/4 speed. Couldn't move any more air without more exhaust points other than the 3" in the bow. Have considered opening an area to the dumpster from the quarter berth then putting a louver somewhere like in the fuel locker, that would help in there. Also, I like the single fan because if it ever dies, its a simple singular replacement.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2015 :  09:32:58  Show Profile
My non solar is right over the head area. I have on my project list replacing it with the solar version. The trick it appears is to have it in a place where it will move significant air, or at least air where you need it moved vs getting stuck with a lousy deck/hatch placement that results in making moving about on deck a royal PIA

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2015 :  06:43:36  Show Profile
If anyone was still looking at venting, randomly ran across this. Might work nicely. Believe it is 12v with an inverter on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Components-VSHFSWHT-Hiflo-System/dp/B000P6UJVO/ref=sr_1_216?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1429623534&sr=1-216

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page