Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 one seacock.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dasreboot
Admiral

Member Avatar

803 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/10/2014 :  11:14:40  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
any reason I cannot use one seacock for both the head intake and sink drain? thinking about retiring the forward seacock.

Edited by - on

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2014 :  11:33:17  Show Profile
The head intake needs to be close to the head, otherwise it becomes difficult to prime.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2014 :  16:15:36  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
well that's a good reason.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2014 :  20:06:57  Show Profile
The head intake and sink drain did share a single through hull on my Catalina 25 (1984 model). That's how the boat was rigged from the factory, you can see it in the parts manual.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2014 :  20:43:15  Show Profile
The solution with one through-hull is to plug the sink drain when you're not using it. Then the head should draw.

But if you're in salt water, I'll suggest considering plumbing the head to your fresh water supply. Along with an enzyme treatment, it virtually eliminates the sulfurous odors.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2014 :  04:37:14  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
was planning to use fresh water. was thinking of plumbing a backup just in case. but of course if things get that dire, I could just fill the head with a bucket.

I think I'll just close up the forward thru hull.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2014 :  20:39:55  Show Profile
I've never used my fresh water tank for drinking water but if you do I wouldn't plumb it to the head. That would definitely qualify as a cross connection. My '79 had a shared line with the sink drain and worked well by closing an in-line hose valve below the sink before pumping the head. Sometimes I would prime the line by pumping fresh water into the sink with the valve open. In that case you would have an air gap, the best protection against a cross connection. I like having a dedicated head intake on my '90.

Edited by - ct95949 on 12/11/2014 20:48:58
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page