Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Pressure water supply
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hewebb
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/03/2014 :  05:27:42  Show Profile
I just replaced the fill and vent hoses on the water tank. Before I change the supply hoses to the faucets an idea came to me. Installing an on-demand 12v pressure pump and new faucets for the water system. Maybe even add a hose in the cockpit with a spray nozzle. I think there are some small pumps for RV's that should work well.
Have any of you done this.

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2014 :  06:14:35  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Our C250 has 43 gallons of fresh water on board. I installed a power wash pump and outlet that connects to a hose with spray wand. We use that for showers (brief). We use a surprisingly heavy amount of water for washups etc, hence the additional water tank on top of the standard 17gal tank.

I would think that having pressure water at the faucet would dramatically increase water consumption.

So I vote for pressure spray in the cockpit, nah for pressure faucets.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2014 :  06:36:20  Show Profile
Sure have and is very easy to do. One pump is all that is needed. You will have to change out the flipper faucets to standard faucets also. I also added an aft shower to rinse off the salt water I'm in after a swim. I used a Par Max 1.9gal Automatic pump placed in the water line that comes out of the aft end of the tank. Wire it to one of the fused switches on the switch panel. I used a kitchen sprayer for the galley sink for more versitality. The sink by the head got a standard cold water faucet. I cut the 1/2" water line that runs to the galley sink and using a tee ran a line to the back of the boat (through the dumster) for the aft shower. You will need to make some covers for the rather large hole left from removing the flipper faucets. I used a plastic cutting board for the material.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2014 :  08:10:12  Show Profile
I have one connected to a sink and the throne. (Fresh water dramatically cuts the stink.) I don't use a lot of water, and don't mind having to re-fill occasionally, to keep things fresher. Also, it works nicely for emptying the system to winterize, although it splatters violently when it starts sucking air. O/T: I'm planning a line to above my windshield--the wipers create a salt smear when I'm going through big chop.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 12/03/2014 08:12:05
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2014 :  09:30:54  Show Profile
Looks nice Scott.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

capelyddol
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
62 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2014 :  13:28:46  Show Profile  Visit capelyddol's Homepage
Nice job, Scott. Do you get a smooth water flow with that pump? Most systems I've used require an accumulator tank in the line to smooth out pump pulsations.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2014 :  15:37:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by capelyddol

...Do you get a smooth water flow with that pump? Most systems I've used require an accumulator tank in the line to smooth out pump pulsations.
Mine is fairly small--maybe 3GPM--and stops pulsing (turning off and on) when a faucet is completely open. Otherwise, the pulses don't bother me unless the pump is sucking air.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2014 :  16:49:13  Show Profile
quote:
Most systems I've used require an accumulator tank in the line to smooth out pump pulsations.
Boy thats old school, I don't get any pulsing, The newer pumps now have solved that. The 1.9gal pump supplies more than enough water/pressure for the 3 faucet system. You probably could go smaller like a 1 to a 1.5 if there is such a pump. Like on any boat you conserve water. I can usually go 3-4 weekends without filling the tank. Thats with 2 people using the aft shower and normal faucet use. The side benefit is that the water in the tank never goes bad or smells because of the turnover unlike those that fill the tank once a season and then wonder why they have moldy tanks and smelly water.

Edited by - islander on 12/03/2014 16:55:23
Go to Top of Page

Martin Nelick
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2014 :  17:57:38  Show Profile
My C25 carries about 60 gal water since I live aboard full time. Since I was needing to save some money, I bought three of these bad boys. If you just want the pump for your existing system, you can buy them just about anywhere for next to nothing.

12v, on-demand, good pressure, waterproof. I also have one in the cockpit locker as a washdown/shower tank. Use them daily. Obviously you would want to toss the sprayer attachment and get another nozzle of your choice.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/147750/Fimco-Standard-12-volt-15-Gallon-Spot-Sprayer

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2014 :  20:46:30  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Likewise, no pulsing; just an audible buzzing when the water is flowing (stops as soon as the flow stops). I put in a Flojet 4406 (7 amp motor, pump rated 3.2 GPM). No accumulator tank needed. Comes with fittings for threaded or barbed hose connects. Have had nothing but happiness from it in the past two years. Price now at PPL RV Superstore is $68.95:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/flojet-pumps.htm

If you're going to spend considerable time onboard (other than actually sailing) this is a luxury that you may come to wonder how you ever lived without it before.

Looking forward to the day I get to spring for the on-demand hot shower! (in a 25 footer???? YES!)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

capelyddol
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
62 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2014 :  21:04:27  Show Profile  Visit capelyddol's Homepage
I say, Mister Bristle, is that 'islander' chappie having a go at us? Old school, indeed! When I lived on my 55' narrowboat back in Blighty I had one of these in my water system:

Gave a jolly smooth water flow, and in emergency could be utilized as a mooring buoy, or even a fishing float for great white sharks (though, I have to admit we didn't get many of them on the old Grand Union canal). These youngsters think they know it all!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2014 :  21:31:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by capelyddol

I say, Mister Bristle, is that 'islander' chappie having a go at us? Old school, indeed!... These youngsters think they know it all!
...sorta like a $+!nkp*+ forum.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2014 :  05:12:38  Show Profile
Thanks all for the input.

Nice job Scott.

I ordered a small RV demand pump and am still looking at faucets.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2014 :  05:52:14  Show Profile
Every time I read a good thread like this I immediately start planning! I want to put all new lines and fitting on my entire fresh water system before I trust using it for anything other than flushing. This will definitely be something nice to consider when I do that.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2014 :  11:05:25  Show Profile
This thread makes me want to live aboard in the Bahamas...and be 24 again...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

andbarger
Deckhand

Members Avatar

24 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2014 :  14:48:03  Show Profile
I just did this to my boat last season! Nothing beats being able to wash your hands without making a mess.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2014 :  18:48:06  Show Profile
What I find funny is that Catalina put the flipper faucets here and there. Some in the middle, Some to the left and some to the right. I guess it depended on who was installing them that day.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2014 :  04:49:49  Show Profile
Scott

The faucet that you have in the head area sink. Where did you find it? I have not been able to find one that will fit under the bulkhead in the galley.

Howard

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2014 :  08:33:08  Show Profile
Howard, I did this 4yrs ago and got all the bits and pieces over the winter to install it in the spring. I got the faucet and the aft shower from E-Bay, The pump from the cheapest guy on the web, The galley sprayer and hose connections/barbs/tee's from HD. The aft shower was the biggest score at $11. Try looking at "Bar Faucets" They are usually smaller. I really like the versitality of the sprayer for the galley. You can rinse tall items in the sink and you aren't limited to just what you can fit under a faucet. Also it can be pulled out to spray/wash the cockpit floor if someone spills a drink or give yourself a squirt on a hot day. It works very well and they are inexpensive.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2014 :  09:25:30  Show Profile
Scott

Must have had some senior moments while looking. I never thought to try a marine supply. Went to Defender and found what I was looking for.
Got them ordered. I like your idea. May add a sprayer to the galley as well as the cockpit.

Thanks

Howard

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2014 :  10:38:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hewebb

Must have had some senior moments while looking. I never thought to try a marine supply. Went to Defender and found what I was looking for...
...and now you're getting "marine quality"!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2014 :  06:13:16  Show Profile

Galley Faucet
No water in tank to test yet.

Since photo added water and tested all work OK.
Cockpit sprayer not yet installed.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2015 :  18:21:03  Show Profile
Hi there
Lots of pumps out there. How does this look as far as psi and gpm?

Diaphragm Pump

Specifications:

#9734;Voltage: 12V DC

#9734;Flow capacity: 1.2 Gallons per minute (4.2 Liters per minute)

#9734;Water pressure: 35 PSI

#9734;Hose Outlets: Fixed 3/8" (10mm) diam. hose tails

#9734;Current Draw: 1.7 Amps (max. 2.7 Amps)

#9734;Dimensions: 6.69"L x 3.94"W x 2.64"H/170mmL x100mmW x 67mmH

#9734;Twin core wire

Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2015 :  07:16:30  Show Profile
I used a 1.9GPM and it is more than enough so a 1.2GPM would probably be OK. The connectors say 3/8inch fixed. The hoses in the boat are 1/2 inch. You would need some adapters to make the connections. It doesn't say anything about being an Automatic pump or not. Automatic means that the pump turns on and off when you open and close a faucet. Do you have a make or model # ?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2015 :  07:57:14  Show Profile
Hi there
Yes, it is an automatic pump.
Here's the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Marine-Boat-12V-1-2GPM-35PSI-Water-Pressure-Diaphragm-Self-Priming-Pump-/171155971382?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item27d9b0dd36&vxp=mtr

Should I look for a slightly larger pump with 1/2" fittings?
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2015 :  08:06:51  Show Profile
Looked again and found this one.
My big question is - is there a max psi for the system? I've see some at 60 psi; which sounds a little high.
Jay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTOMATIC-DIAPHRAGM-WATER-PREASSURE-PUMP-12V-3-5-GPM-BOAT-RV-AGRICULTURE-/271484729579?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item3f35c038eb&vxp=mtr

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page