Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 On The Hard
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JPS109
Deckhand

Member Avatar

20 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/20/2014 :  06:02:11  Show Profile
Now that I have a new keel winch and cable, I'd like to know how best to leave the keel for the winter. Leave some slack and rest the keel on a stand, or keep it up and tight?

Edited by - on

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2014 :  06:48:15  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
leave some slack snd support. weight off the cable as much as possible.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2014 :  11:38:19  Show Profile
Not sure how/where your boat is stored, but for our second winter, the keel was full up and the yard must have set the boat down too hard before putting in the jack stands, resulting in a pin-hole puncture in the storage cavity right above where the cable connects to the keel, which was noticable only once launched in the spring. We were taking on about 1.5 gallons per day...had to pull the boat and have the repair done...the yard of course took no responsibility...now we store the boat w/ the keel about 12" below the hull...allows for inspection, cable replacement and keeps the yard from bouncing the boat when setting it down...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2014 :  12:53:26  Show Profile
I don't think I have ever seen any make sailboat with a swinger in my yard without the keel lowered onto some blocks and with zero tension on the cable.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2014 :  13:43:23  Show Profile
If I had a swinger and was having her lifted out, I would make sure to admonish the yard NOT TO SET HER DOWN ON THE KEEL! Once the hull is blocked, I'd lower the keel onto a block, to take maybe 1000 lbs. off the contact points on the hull, depending on the angle of the keel. (It weighs around 200 lbs. more in air than in water.)

My fin keel C-25 was mostly supported by the keel itself--the stands were essentially just to keep her upright, so there was little pressure from them.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/21/2014 13:48:21
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2014 :  05:47:37  Show Profile
Set the boat on jack stands tall enough to lower the keel onto a support block. Let the block support the keel weight. Then take up any slack just slightly in the cable. Make sure the wraps on the keel winch are straight. As stated above, NEVER let the yard lower the boat onto the swing keel.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JPS109
Deckhand

Members Avatar

20 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2014 :  06:15:08  Show Profile
Thanks to all for your advice. In years past, the boat rested on stands, with a block supporting the keel which was in the full up and locked position. I will be sure to lower it this year and take some tension of the winch and cable.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2014 :  07:53:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JPS109

...In years past, the boat rested on stands, with a block supporting the keel which was in the full up and locked position.
The problem with that is it implies the boat is being at least partially supported by the keel, which can damage the keel trunk. A swinger should be supported only by the hull, and the keel should support only itself.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 11/01/2014 :  18:23:55  Show Profile
Good to hear Dave. I have a fin keel and I was not sure what the ratios of support between the keel and stands should be. For trailer or haul out. Sounds like keel can provide a little more support than I thought.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

capelyddol
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
62 Posts

Response Posted - 11/01/2014 :  19:42:38  Show Profile  Visit capelyddol's Homepage
My boat sits on its fin keel when on the trailer. The rollers only prevent it tipping over, though they do add some support to the hull. I don't have a cradle. I would say common sense dictates that a swing keel should not be supporting the boat, or hanging on its cable, when out of the water. As Dave noted, the weight of the keel will be substantially more when the boat's on the hard. I wouldn't trust any yard to do the job right unless I knew the staff well, and was sure they were experienced in handling my type of boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page