Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Raising and lowering the mast with a gin pole
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sweetcraft
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/18/2014 :  21:13:32  Show Profile
Finally got the pictures to transfer so here's the report. I have used the gin pole system for many years with a bridle to keep it and the mast centered. A new owner of a 25 asked for a little help to lower the mast as the first time raising it was an ordeal:

I have everything aboard and use the spinaker pole as the gin pole. The mast crutch is a military tent pole that is pinned. My system was used so the new owner could see and copy for his boat. The lines all fit in a small bag and the main sheet is the power. I have helped others also and used the boom as the gin pole and bridle lines to center the pole. A second set of lines hold the mast in the center.

The steel rings are the points of attachment and snap shackles to the braces on the lifeline stansions

Edited by - on

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2014 :  11:31:07  Show Profile

Where are you attaching the block ad tackle? To the stem head?, trailer winch?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2014 :  19:39:38  Show Profile
The use of a ring(about 2) 1/2") attaches the pole to the lines and the main sheet block. The other mainsheet block is attached to the bow stem where it doesn't interfer with attachment of the forestay.
The mainsheet can be run to a winch for a second person to control the raising or lowering of the mast. I don't use the trailer winch because the boat is usually in the water and I can do the whole raising and lowering by myself. Another person is better as a line almost always gets snagged and it is safer.
I have done this now for 35 seasons and have helped many trailer sailers. I do the set up while in the water as it is not as far to fall and can use a ramp or sling to launch.
Better pictures next season will help too.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2014 :  06:35:48  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Jim,
how about uploading those pics to your Association Members Account?

The plus side is that they won't go away with your shutterfly account and will remain onboard 4E4.

(and you could upload a pic to use as your signature image, the current one is broken )

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2014 :  07:02:36  Show Profile
yes, wondered about the picture signature. Not sure yet how to upload the other pictures. Thanks for help.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2014 :  08:21:29  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Jim,
login to the Members area (link it on the top left of every page)

Click on Manage My Images

Click on Upload Image

Fill out the form selecting which image to upload (please include a title and caption as it makes it easier for folks to find relevant pics later)

Click on the upload button and wait a few seconds.

If you use the upload multiple images, then limit them to about 4 big pics per upload (smaller pics then upload more) to avoid your browser timing out during the upload.

Once uploaded, you can get the code to include in a post for any pic you have uploaded, just click on the Icon and it's pretty obvious from there.

BTW, as a member, when you login you can also search for images uploaded by any member and get the code to include them in posts.

When you upload images to your member account, the system makes 3 copies: Full Size, Album Size and Thumbnail Size.

And... for your sig you could use the thumbnail images

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2014 :  15:59:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sweetcraft

The use of a ring(about 2) 1/2") attaches the pole to the lines and the main sheet block. The other mainsheet block is attached to the bow stem where it doesn't interfer with attachment of the forestay.
The mainsheet can be run to a winch for a second person to control the raising or lowering of the mast. I don't use the trailer winch because the boat is usually in the water and I can do the whole raising and lowering by myself. Another person is better as a line almost always gets snagged and it is safer.
I have done this now for 35 seasons and have helped many trailer sailers. I do the set up while in the water as it is not as far to fall and can use a ramp or sling to launch.
Better pictures next season will help too.

The reason I ask; when I was designing my gin pole, I asked a sailing friend (who has a PhD in mathematics from Carnegie Mellon, used to design nuclear power plants for nuclear submarines and is currently building a 28' sailboat) about minimizing the "wobble" of a gin pole. We did a miniature mock-up on his workbench. Briefly, if you draw a straight line from the top of the mast to the attachment point at say, the stem head, the line should not go below the pivot point at the mast step. Once you go below that point, the gin pole becomes very unstable.

Edited by - OJ on 10/23/2014 16:11:15
Go to Top of Page

alfreddiaz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2014 :  14:26:40  Show Profile
I made the gin pole that you will find at the lower portion of this page.

http://home.comcast.net/~catalina22fleet20/news/rpts/200603/200603.htm

I used it to lift the mast on my Cat 25 TR. It worked good. But I still had to have another hand to stead the pole and help with shroud lines.

I am going to rebuild the one I made with a heavy-duty model. Raising the pole with just a 2x4 seemed kind of flimsy. But it worked. And I have to keep in mind that the gin pole redirects the pressure straight down the pole toward the mast. All that being said, I am going to make one that has has an L shaped base so the foot is larger at the bottom. And it will be thicker than one 2x4.

Al

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

rsdavis
Deckhand

Members Avatar

7 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2014 :  18:07:28  Show Profile
Hey Sweetcraft, for the line that runs from the ring to the mast, where does it attach to the mast? Also, do you have a line attached from the ring to the end of the gin pole? Where did you get the rings from? I am asking because I will be doing this with my Catalina 25 next weekend, thanks!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Reality
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2014 :  04:50:36  Show Profile
Has anyone tried lowering the mast to the bow? I don't have quick access to my boat to do a lot of measuring and building at home and then back again for test fitting and such to build a gin pole. I simply ran a line from mast to jib car on each side and another from boom to jib car to steady the mast. I loosened the forward lowers and uppers, disconnected the backstay and aft lowers and used the mainsheet to lower the mast. All said and done the mast was on the dock in 20 minutes. When I go back up with it I'll take pictures and video if anyone would like to see how it goes.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 11/04/2014 :  19:05:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Reality

Has anyone tried lowering the mast to the bow?

There's been a couple-three people here that have discussed this, even a video . . . certainly not the norm. Might be bit more challenging with a tall rig which has a 2' longer mast and thicker extrusion.

Edited by - OJ on 11/04/2014 19:06:19
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2014 :  06:04:54  Show Profile
Sorry not getting back sooner but... The ring is used as a meeting place of the forestay, gin pole and the main sheet block system. The steading lines from the bridle also attach there. The use of a safety line is a good idea too which I use the spinaker halyard before releaseing the forestay to attach to the ring. I do release the lower forward stays completly and back off the uppers before lowering. Some people don't release the uppers but there is a strain on them as the mast gains length at the first move from vertical on the square base of the mast step. We used the whisker pole attachment on the mast for the gin pole, spinaker pole in the picture.
Hope this helps and using a partner for safety is best. Having someone looking over your shoulder and standing by when a line snags.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2014 :  07:05:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sweetcraft

. . . using a partner for safety is best. Having someone looking over your shoulder and standing by when a line snags.

With our tall rig we use three people; one in the cockpit to "start" the mast raising and untangle shrouds, a second on the cabin top to keep the mast from swinging to port or starboard and a third working the block and tackle.

We have vendor at our lake that raises and lowers masts - singlehanded - even tall rigs.

Edited by - OJ on 11/20/2014 07:07:11
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2014 :  21:46:49  Show Profile
The process of raising and lowering should be as stress free as possible and using aids and help should make that happen. I found that cruising to other location it is hard to find knowledgable help at the moment you are lifting. The lift does put the stays and shrouds at risk so using aids slows down the process and gives the time to straighten out hardware that is being bent. I've learned the hard way so always looking for the better way which is safer too. I share what I have learned to help a lot of sailors plus I get to sail with others more.
Seeing a stern pulpit with a big dip and an outboard with the engine cover gone I took as better to be safe and not drop the mast.
Here's to sailing and doing it safe.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page