Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Best way to clean snapshackles on jib sail?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Landshark
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/11/2014 :  17:49:26  Show Profile
Hello all, I'm brand new to this forum and very new to mono-hull sailbaots (got a 1978 Catalina 25' shared with my family right now, amazing fun and clean boat!). Actually, I haven't sailed in about 15 years, so this is all new to me again. I'm loving it!

Anyway, We've got a 100% jib which has snapshackles like these: http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/384_121/snapshackle-for-jib-tack-c-22-cp-22-c-25-c-250.cfm

They are a bit difficult to use right now though, probably from lack of cleaning prior to our ownership. Is there a good and safe (for the sail) way to clean them?

I've read that WD-40 would help. Is there a more permanent way to get them to work a little easier? I also was thinking about putting some white grease on them, but am afraid that might damage the sail. Would something like CLR (Calcium, Lime, and Rust remover) work? CLR -> http://www.amazon.com/Calcium-Rust-and-Lime-Remover/dp/B00009EFEX/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8& qid=1413074822& sr=8-2& keywords=clr

Any other ideas?

Thank you!

Edited by - Landshark on 10/11/2014 21:08:53

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2014 :  19:25:04  Show Profile
Congrats on the boat. I am a freshwater sailor and have never seen snapshackles frozen up so I don't know what to suggest. Are you in saltwater?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

capelyddol
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
62 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2014 :  20:35:50  Show Profile  Visit capelyddol's Homepage
Hi Landshark.
Like you I've just returned to sailing, and after a darned sight longer than fifteen years. I sailed in another country so much of the jargon and gear is different here in the US to that of my home country, Britain.

I would guess anything that will help free off the snapshackle is worth a try. I doubt it will do the sail any harm provided you clean off whatever gunk you use before hanking the sail to it. Once you free it off, a drop or two of light machine oil should help to keep it workable.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Landshark
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2014 :  21:10:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pastmember

Congrats on the boat. I am a freshwater sailor and have never seen snapshackles frozen up so I don't know what to suggest. Are you in saltwater?

Yes, it's in salt-water (Puget Sound waters, western Washington State, USA). :) I should have mentioned that.

Edited by - Landshark on 10/11/2014 21:11:01
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2014 :  21:21:49  Show Profile
Soaking in CLR might help, but I douby it. I would spray WD40 into the pin and work it a lot while holding it so it drains and repeat a few times. I would follow that with a good cleaning and a dry lube spray like SailKote.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2014 :  22:25:12  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
You might try soaking it in vinegar, that'll help break up any corrosion that's going on. If that doesn't work, CLR might do it as well. I had a climbing carabiner that was used last time we went crabbing, then forgotten until I found it earlier this year. I soaked it for several days, then switched over to PB Blaster for about a week. It operates now, but it's still sticky. I'm probably going to run it through my ultrasound cleaner next to see whether I can get it working properly (I'm not particularly hopeful, but figure there's little to lose now).

Where do you keep your boat? I noticed there's a new C-25 in my marina (Jim Clark in West Seattle/Harbor Island), is that yours by chance?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Landshark
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Response Posted - 10/12/2014 :  19:29:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by delliottg

You might try soaking it in vinegar, that'll help break up any corrosion that's going on. If that doesn't work, CLR might do it as well. I had a climbing carabiner that was used last time we went crabbing, then forgotten until I found it earlier this year. I soaked it for several days, then switched over to PB Blaster for about a week. It operates now, but it's still sticky. I'm probably going to run it through my ultrasound cleaner next to see whether I can get it working properly (I'm not particularly hopeful, but figure there's little to lose now).

Where do you keep your boat? I noticed there's a new C-25 in my marina (Jim Clark in West Seattle/Harbor Island), is that yours by chance?

I'm going to try vinegar and and WD-40 first, if that doesn't do the trick then I'll give CLR a try. It's the same issue on my 135% Genoa, but I haven't even taken that out of the sail bag yet, so I'll test it on that one first.

As for the boat, we just moved it down Des Moines Marina from Port Hadlock. I feel really bad moving it from Port Hadlock, it's such a beautiful area with a wonderfully taken care of marina. Des Moines is a LOT closer to where we (my family) all live, and so the boat will get a lot more use being down here.

I do plan on sailing this winter. I'm cleaning up an old Mustang Float Coat that came with the boat and digging into storage for my old hobie cat racing gear (use to race back in my teens) that should help deal with the colder and possibly wetter weather when sailing the fall/winter seasons.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 10/12/2014 :  19:31:10  Show Profile
The 135 is a great primary sail for a C 25.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page