Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 1 7/8 sanitation hose
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Captain Max
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
87 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/08/2014 :  13:32:27  Show Profile
Can someone tell me where I can find 1 7/8 (48mm) sanitation hose? Replacing the hoses to my head and holding tank. I can't find the 1 7/8 anywhere! Help!

Edited by - on

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 10/08/2014 :  16:06:57  Show Profile
Hose is measured on the inside diameter. 1.5" is extremely common, are you sure that isn't the size of hose that you need?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2014 :  04:02:56  Show Profile
I could not find the right size hose for the fitting on the tank. I added an adapter ( a "rubber" plumbing adapter over the tank fitting and hose end ) to the hose size that would fit the new head. I anticipate having to add a new tank eventually, expecting the adapter to be the weak point.

Edited by - redeye on 10/09/2014 07:22:12
Go to Top of Page

Captain Max
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
87 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2014 :  06:20:05  Show Profile
This is the inside fitting. Hoses are marked that way.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Captain Max
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
87 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2014 :  07:27:43  Show Profile
Adapting to a 1 1/2 maybe what I need to do.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Captain Max
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
87 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2014 :  07:43:47  Show Profile
Where did you get your fitting?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2014 :  09:49:26  Show Profile
I found a place that sells 1-7/8 by the foot or 50ft roll. Not easy to find by the foot but here is one.http://www.downwindmarine.com/Marine-Sanitation-Water-Hose-Headhunter-Great-White-Super-Premium-p-90891026.html

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2014 :  09:50:54  Show Profile
Plumbers Supply house near me but they are now out of business..

A Flexible Fitting.

I felt I had to use this as a sort of temporary fix .. the new head I installed and the hose it used was another size from the fitting coming off the old holding tank...

It is on my todo list to get another tank with the correct fitting.. I've been using the old tank and this fitting for about 4 years now without any problems or smells. The fittings are considered permanent in plumbing, but the boat moves around so much I can't imagine the rubber fitting not developing cracks and also such an old tank.

I'm guessing if it failed it would be rather unpleasant.

Edited by - redeye on 10/09/2014 10:04:40
Go to Top of Page

Captain Max
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
87 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2014 :  12:05:39  Show Profile
Thanks so much for the info. My head hose is fine (1 1/2 "), it's the hose from the holding tank to the deck that is the 1 7/8. Share concerns about long term, but an easy fix.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Captain Max
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
87 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2014 :  14:35:04  Show Profile
Update. Got the same fixtures in your picture from loew's. I am going to add sealant before I tighten everything up. I think this will work and has the advantage of being replaced easily if needed.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

RAG Sailor
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
144 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2014 :  12:06:34  Show Profile
Ahoy Capt Max,
I had a similar situation last year. My PO changed out the head and I had to cap off the thru hull valve. The od of the valve matches up to the id of the hose you are speaking about. I finally bought hose from Downwind myself. It turns out the hose I used is actually fuel hose (those come in assorted sizes that are not common (as you have found out). The diameter hose I used was real close and then I used a stainless steel compression strap (Home Depot). It worked just fine. Go to this webpage: http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27409 it's my post from last year showing my project and how I ended up fixing it. I attached a small piece of hose to an end cap.

Edited by - RAG Sailor on 10/15/2014 16:46:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page