Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Raising & lowering mast
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tweeet65
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/26/2014 :  09:26:09  Show Profile
Two questions sailors:

I am concerned over the weight (mast) and size of block used with the a-frame. I sure don't want to drop the mast if the block fails.

Does anyone transport their boat with the mast lowered and supported but still attached at the step? Sure would make trailering easier at both ends.

Edited by - on

alfreddiaz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2014 :  10:57:42  Show Profile
Could you elaborate? I don't think you can transport with the mast lowered and attached at the step. It sticks out a good 15 to 20 feet. And if you hit a bump and it started to oscillate, that could lead to major damage. Is that what you are intending?
Also, could you send a picture of your A frame? I use a gin pole. Am curious about A frames for the same purpose.

Thanks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2014 :  11:27:10  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Perhaps you intend to keep the boat on the hard at the Marina and not take it on the road?

Have you measured the height of the mast head from the roadway when it is down but attached to the mast base plate?

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2014 :  16:07:05  Show Profile
Just about half of the mast will be sticking out past the transom, If you do this could you take a video of it going down the highway and put it on U-Tube? This I would like to see.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

tweeet65
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2014 :  18:05:48  Show Profile
The a-frame I built was from YouTube video "how to raise and lower Cat 25 mast". Check it out and if u still want pictures I will take some. My idea is to keep tension on the a-frame and support the mast with yoke that attaches to the rudder guntles. And yes, to then take'r on the road. I haven't measured the height of the mast top from the road...hoping someone else is transporting thus.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2014 :  18:49:36  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
I would not do it!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2014 :  19:40:46  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by tweeet65

The a-frame I built was from YouTube video "how to raise and lower Cat 25 mast". Check it out and if u still want pictures I will take some. My idea is to keep tension on the a-frame and support the mast with yoke that attaches to the rudder guntles. And yes, to then take'r on the road. I haven't measured the height of the mast top from the road...hoping someone else is transporting thus.

I think you'll find that no one else is, or ever has, done this. You'll not only be putting yourself and your boat at risk, but others on the road. De-stepping the mast after it's down only takes minutes, and another few to strap it down and brace it for towing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2014 :  19:45:39  Show Profile
It's not good. The bouncing would sure overload the step. The driver would not see the action and loose cables would wear what ever they could touch. The mast crutch would be overloaded

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2014 :  21:13:44  Show Profile
I'd say that will put stresses on the mast step for which it was not designed, create a large swing arc when you turn, and risk going through the windshield of a truck. Otherwise...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2014 :  21:39:49  Show Profile
Speechless.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

worane
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
36 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2014 :  05:09:54  Show Profile
This has to be April the first!
One only has to roll this around the brain for five seconds to work it out

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2014 :  05:53:23  Show Profile
Someone on this forum asked me why I just didn't leave the mast down while at my dock. Instead of lowering it and then raising it back up again. Simply put, too much of the mast is sticking out past the transom. I wouldn't leave my boat parked like that much less drive down the road.

It only takes a couple more steps to bring the mast forward on the boat after it's down.......

As to your concern about the block. I used a Ronstan Block, not sure of which one. But it was a block probably designed for 1/2" line. Ten years of use and probably over 1000 lowers and then raise back up again, no problems.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2014 :  06:15:50  Show Profile
For the A-frames I built, one using 2x4's and one a la DavyJ (much better and lighter), I used a 3" swivel block for 3/8" line. I have 2 available for sale if you are interested. I think one has a becket.
The reason I built the second one is that our big flood in 2010 carried off the first one which I had left in the storage area under the club house.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2014 :  06:18:47  Show Profile
OK Let's not pile on the OP, they asked a question. This forum has a well-earned reputation for GENERALLY being courteous and helpful...perhaps those that doe trailer can offer specific examples of the blocking at 3points.

Stowing the mast for trailering should support both ends (pulpits) and the center. We used a coffee can and a towel to get the height right, though I was using that for winter storage, not bouncing down the road. A search on the site can likely bring up examples if not directly into this post.

As for the block, the actual weight is not huge, while leverage is a much larger component. I have heard of gin poles buckling, but never a block failure.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

tweeet65
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2014 :  09:06:02  Show Profile
Ok I am convinced! Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
AD, do you need more info re the A- frame?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2014 :  20:19:36  Show Profile
Note on supporting the mast on the bow pulpit and stern rail. You might want to get some hot-water pipe foam insulation to put between the 1" SS rail and the mast. You could also use a towel, but any way you do this, it would prevent scratching.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2014 :  15:33:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pastmember

Speechless.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

tweeet65
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2014 :  08:13:06  Show Profile
In terms of supporting, I notched a 2x4 to fit on the pulpit whith a carpeted"V" in the middle to cradle mast. I also love those " swim noodles" for padding on the rear pulpit. They are also great for padding if you lean back while sailing. Just cut to desired length and slit.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2014 :  14:06:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tweeet65

. . . In terms of supporting, I notched a 2x4 to fit on the pulpit whith a carpeted"V" in the middle to cradle mast . . .

I also have a vertical post in the mast step.

Good luck!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jan Briede
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2014 :  06:49:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Note on supporting the mast on the bow pulpit and stern rail. You might want to get some hot-water pipe foam insulation to put between the 1" SS rail and the mast. You could also use a towel, but any way you do this, it would prevent scratching.

I made a small plywood platform that I fastened to the bow pulpit. I figured that would spread the weight of the mast somewhat. Actually very much like what OJ did in his pictures

Edited by - Jan Briede on 10/02/2014 06:51:52
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2014 :  07:28:06  Show Profile
FWIW, the bow pulpit support has no connecting hardware. The stern pulpit has two u-bolts with wing nuts. Center post in tabernacle uses stock bolt. Simple, effective, quick.

Edited by - OJ on 10/02/2014 07:29:18
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2014 :  07:38:18  Show Profile
Pictures of the mast support at the pulpits are great. Thanks....<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2014 :  10:23:36  Show Profile
Great mast supports. We do similar on the bow pulpit , using 2x4's and bungee them to the pulpit along with a line over the mast secured to the jib snap shackle at the bow as a backup. For a mid-mast support at the mast step, some use a block of 4x4 with a V in the top and a hole in the bottom for the mast bolt. I made one using PVC pipe that works well: a 3" elbow at the bottom with a hole drilled through the side of it for the mast bolt, 2 1/2" vertical piece cut to fit, and another elbow at the top with the long section cut lengthwise to form a curved tray in which to lay the mast. works great.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2014 :  20:00:55  Show Profile
Hi Sailor Jerry... By using your e-mail address (I presume) as your ID, you've made it ripe for picking by spam-bot harvesters. I suggest you ask our [url="http://catalina-capri-25s.org/officers.asp"]Webmaster Paul [/url]to change your ID to something innocuous. We are set up so your registered address is hidden--messages can be sent to you without the sender knowing what it is.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/02/2014 20:20:48
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page