Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mast Slot Opening
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Last Fling 71
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/20/2014 :  07:31:27  Show Profile
Thanks to all the previous great comments, I am ready to raise my boom 12" on the mast, for cockpit headroom. My mainsail has been altered by a Pensacola sail shop and I have the gooseneck slider from CD. But the slider and boom stops won't fit into the mast slot opening. I seem to have 3 choices: grind the opening slot wider, tilt the mast forward and slip everything in from the bottom of the mast or stay with the fixed boom and move it up 12". Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Edited by - on

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2014 :  08:19:58  Show Profile
Are you sure you bought the correct gooseneck for the C25? It looks like the correct one is designated Part # E1694 Or, perhaps they sent you the wrong one.

Before you do any major surgery on your mast, I'd suggest you contact Catalina Direct and ask them why it doesn't fit the mast slot. It should.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2014 :  10:22:11  Show Profile
Take some shots of your slot opening and gooseneck and show us what you are having problems with.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Last Fling 71
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2014 :  12:46:57  Show Profile
Some added info (may or may not be pertinent). I have a 1989 Cat 25 TR.
The slider that CD sent me looks exactly like Steve's picture. The opening slot (it is only large enough to get my mainsail slugs into) on my mast is only ground larger on the starboard side of the mast, not on both. The boat is 2hrs away from me, so pictures will take several days to post. The one sail stop that is in the slot looks to be the exact size as the stops I just bought and the slider slot diameter.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2014 :  13:45:03  Show Profile
My 87 fixed boom sail slug slot is also only cut on one side and is very short. If the problem is that your slot is not long enough to insert the new slider or is not cut on both sides you can cut the slot longer and on both sides to be able to insert the gooseneck. No two Cat 25's have identical cuts and since yours was a fixed gooseneck there wasn't any reason for Catalina to cut a longer slot. It only had to be long enough for the slugs.

Edited by - islander on 08/20/2014 13:48:32
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2014 :  14:29:52  Show Profile
Hi Robert, we have the same mast and same issue. Every year we raise the mast and realize we didn't place the gooseneck, sail stop and pop-top latch into the mast slot. Then we undo the backstay, attach a block and tackle, undo the rear lowers, undo the furler and tilt the mast forward and insert the hardware.

This year we inserted a sail stop underneath the pop-top latch . . . so the gooseneck, sail stop #1, the pop top latch and sail stop #2 will stay on the mast - even during the off season.

Tilting the mast forward is easy, getting teased by the dock neighbors - well!

Not sure I would make the gate larger if it isn't absolutely necessary.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Last Fling 71
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2014 :  15:40:55  Show Profile
Thanks to Islander & OJ for your comments & incite.
Both have confirmed my earlier thoughts.
Every day I learn something new about my boat & Catalina.

Last Fling 71
Cat 25 TR, #5896

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page