Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Lifeline Placement
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andbarger
Deckhand

Member Avatar

24 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/19/2014 :  13:37:02  Show Profile
I was thinking about moving the forward end of my lifelines back to the first stanchion on the bow rail (the aft stanchion). My thought is that they will be more use full a bit higher up and not at my ankles when at the bow. I should be able to adjust where attach so it will not affect the sail while tacking. My plan would be to use the item below. Also I have been having trouble with my furler not wanting to unfurl or furl all the way.I have tried adjusting the angle of the line, adding tension and it spools in, and even moved the exit of the line to the center opening and added a block. So my questions to all you out there.....
1. Has anyone done this with there lifelines before?
2. Can anyone see any issues with my plan?
3. Why won't my sail furl?

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/c-sherman-johnson--pulpit-anchor--114785

Edited by - on

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2014 :  14:41:07  Show Profile
Can't speak to the curler issue but I would just call in to question a few things regarding the relocation of the lifelines.. 1) Will your sail's foot clear the lifeline 2)when you raise them up to where they might be actually useful, will it clear then?

I honestly think they would need to be the full height to be useful and at that point, you would have to take soo much out of the sail it would be crazy. Were it a larger boat, these kind of things would work. My honest opinion... Do what makes you happy, but you won't see me following suit.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2014 :  18:36:56  Show Profile
So, went sailing tonight... I have a piece of spliced amsteel to raise my jib and it actually would clear the life lines if they were like you said. So still probably not gonna do it, but it's feasible... Beautiful evening btw.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

andbarger
Deckhand

Members Avatar

24 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2014 :  07:24:54  Show Profile
I think if I relocate it just below the foot of the sail that I should not have any problems.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2014 :  11:00:24  Show Profile
do you race? if not, go ahead and do it! If your goal is to make your boat as safe and easy to sail for anyone on board it might be the way to go. And then raise the foot and the clew too. you will be able to see better, tack better, and the bow will be safer without that much of a speed penalty. You don't have to raise the foot much..... I think the pulpit anchor you chose will work perfectly. Just make sure you always have the lifeline gates near the cockpit attached or the rear most station will have too much force put on it and will bend when you lean on the lifelines in the bow. Show us pictures when you have it all done! You will have to shorten the lifelines and you might want to pay a rigger to do that for you just to make sure they are done correctly and don't compromise the strength of them.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2014 :  11:08:29  Show Profile
Tell us more about your furler. what kind is it? it looks like in your photo that the furler drum is there....but no headstay foil. it almost looks like you have a hank on sail attached to the furler drum, and I am not sure how that would work. Anyway, tell us more about your furler and we will be able to troubleshoot it for you,some close up photos of the drum and furling line might help.
Cheers,
Scott

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

andbarger
Deckhand

Members Avatar

24 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2014 :  12:26:05  Show Profile
Scott,
The furler I have is a Harken small boat furler and with a hoistable furling swivel I can use my hank on sails. (see Harken parts 207, 208,465) The system is made for small crusing boats, the only down side I can't reef the sail, it's all in or all out. But for the crusing I do it's not a problem. I installed the system last year (first season with the boat)and did not have any troubles, but this year with no changes to the rig or sail i have had nothing but problems. Now I know someone is thinking "haylard twisting around the forestay" but with my hoistable swivel it's not a problem because it spins independently of the forestay. What I did last week but was unable to sail due to weather was moved the line so it exits the drum in the front opening and have addend a block on a long shackle to try and get it at 90 degrees from the forestay. The pic below is from last season and had the same set up this year. I was also going to try adding more back tension as I unroll the sail.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2014 :  13:00:48  Show Profile
Woa, does that spin the forestay as well??

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

andbarger
Deckhand

Members Avatar

24 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2014 :  13:39:01  Show Profile
Yes it spins the forestay, the upper swivle attaches to the masthead and spins. The forestay goes through a hole in the hoistable swivle with the head of the sail on the bottom shackle and the haylard on the top shackle. This system is made for trailing sailboats up to 25'. I didn't have to have the sails recut and I can use any of my 3 hank on sails with the system. I have only ever sailed the 110 with it. The entire system only runs about $500 so it was about 1/2 the cost of a true reefing furler system. And this system might not work for everyone but I like it....when it works!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

davidbloodworth
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
78 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2014 :  09:17:57  Show Profile
My lifelines are attached just below the bend in the pulpit and I have never had any trouble with my jib. I have a line attached to the bottom of one of my jibs so it clears fairly easily. My larger jib has a bend it in where it goes over the lifeline but it still works. I have never looked to see if I could add a line on it to get it over the lifeline.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2014 :  09:46:44  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
andbarger, my roller reefing also has a swivel up top that spins independently of the foil. has ball bearings and everything things worked great until 2 weeks ago when it started hanging up. of course it was halyard wrap. just enough friction to cause it. I had forgotten to put on the pennant this year. after i added that, raising the swivel to the top, no more issues. smooth as silk. it doesn't take much halyard (a foot on mine) to hang it up and cause a wrap. when you let the tension off to take a look it unwraps, so you never see it. have someone else furl while you watch with binoculars from the fordeck.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page