Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Modified stern rail, 1989 C25
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/11/2014 :  17:26:25  Show Profile
One thing we miss on our 1989 C25 is the continuous stern rail found on the pre 1989 models. When we acquired our current boat both sides of the stern pulpit were bent inward. After deciding to add a rigid solar panel, I straightened the pulpit (using a come-along) and had a piece of 1" diameter stainless steel tube welded in place. Function over design I suppose.

Edited by - OJ on 08/13/2014 18:33:19

DanM
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
256 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2014 :  08:13:46  Show Profile  Visit DanM's Homepage
In another topic, someone is complaining about the difficulty the continuous rail poses for reaching out to operate and raise/lower the outboard. I'll add to that the difficult acrobatics posed for users of the stern swim ladder.
To each his own, I guess.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glen
Captain

Members Avatar

359 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2014 :  05:23:34  Show Profile
If you look at a thread called “Towing a 36’ boat…” on the “General Sailing Forum” There is a picture showing how I changed the stern rail on my 1979. I cut and moved the center bar, and reattached it at a lower point with stainless framing hardware. This allows us easier access to the swim ladder. (Now I need to figure out how to add a few more steps to that ladder; but that will be a different thread) During the winter the bar is removed, and a mast crutch is installed using that frame hardware. If I can find a picture of the winter setup I will post it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2014 :  09:39:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by glen

. . . Now I need to figure out how to add a few more steps to that ladder . . .

Might be easier to find shorter crew

Clever mod! We kept leaning back forgetting there was no center rail on the newer boat and almost fell overboard

I feel more secure with the center rail.

Edited by - OJ on 08/13/2014 10:28:12
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2014 :  18:02:54  Show Profile
quote:
Now I need to figure out how to add a few more steps to that ladder;

Thats easy. find any folding ladder that is 10" wide. Remove the folding lower step and put it on the ridiculously short Catalina ladder.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glen
Captain

Members Avatar

359 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2014 :  06:21:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

[quote]Now I need to figure out how to add a few more steps to that ladder;

Thats easy. find any folding ladder that is 10" wide. Remove the folding lower step and put it on the ridiculously short Catalina ladder.

Verrrrry nice & thank you for the idea

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2014 :  06:52:36  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
what folding ladder did you use for the lower step?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2014 :  16:19:30  Show Profile
Norestar was the brand name of the ladder but I did this mod a few years ago . I just did a search for the model I used but I can't come up with it so maybe they discontinued it. If they did its a shame because it was the perfect width of 10 in. and wasn't expensive.

Edited by - islander on 08/19/2014 16:22:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page