Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Order generic 3/8" clevis pin from where?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/29/2014 :  20:05:01  Show Profile
Harken charged me almost $10 for a 3/8" clevis pin. I want to order spares. Anyone have a source for clevis pins?

Edited by - on

PZell
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
548 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  09:25:11  Show Profile
Check various chandleries such as West Marine, Defender, Hamilton Marine to compare. I believe that I found some hard to get stainless parts from these folks at one time http://www.msc-stainless-fasteners.com/ although you probably have to order a packet.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  09:47:08  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Interesting you bring up the subject of finding the right size clevis pin ! The other day, I was just about ready to drop my main and head into the marina when I heard my Ram's Horn fall with a clink onto the cabin deck. The boom to mast hinge is fastened with a Clevis Pin per the Catalina Manual but the previous owner must have had to replace it and he did so with a threaded stud and self-locking nut. Probably from many years of sailing and times when the main is out all the way, that nut interfered with the mast hinge - Worked the nylon in the self-locking nut until the nut fell off. The stud was also bent but still holding the boom. I went to my local West Marine store but they did not have the large diameter Clevis Pin needed for that connection and so I did what the PO must have done and replaced the bent stud with a new stud and self-locking nut. Figured if the old one lasted for so many years, a new stud will also last for many years to come. But......if you get a good source for Clevis Pins, I may order a Clevis Pin as well. Just that a Clevis Pin costs a lot more than a stud and if you have to order the Clevis Pin, then you have a shipping charge as well...and for such a small fastener ! But in the scheme of things, the Clevis Pin is the proper fitting and the cost even if say $15 with shipping, is not a big deal.

Edited by - OLarryR on 07/30/2014 09:48:26
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  10:03:27  Show Profile
Harken sells pins specific for their furlers so they are rather expensive and sold as singles.

Amazon has lots this is an example

Set includes: 3/32" pin-hole: 4 - 3/16 x 1", 4 - 1/4 x 1", 3 - 1/4 x 1-1/4", 4 - 1/4 x 1-1/2", 3 - 1/4 x 1-3/4", 3 - 1/4 x 2", 3 - 1/4 x 2-1/4", 3 - 1/4 x 2-1/2"; 1/8 pin-hole: 3 - 5/16 x 1", 3 - 5/16 x 1-1/4", 4 - 5/16 x 1-1/2", 3 - 5/16 x 1-3/4", 2 - 5/16 x 2", 2 = 5/16 x 2-1/4", 1 - 5/16 x 2-1/2", 2 - 5/16 x 2-3/4; 5/32 pin-hole: 4 - 3/8 x 1, 3 - 3/8 x 1-1/2", 2 - 3/8 x 2", 2 - 1/2 x 1-1/2".

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  11:00:43  Show Profile
I always scratch my head when I see the heavy discounts for sets, whether it be screwdrivers, => 25 count package of fasteners and now clevis pins!

Man! The margin they must have for single units!

Thanks!

FWIW, CD couldn't supply the correct length 3/8" pin for my furler.

Edited by - OJ on 07/30/2014 11:02:11
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  11:13:20  Show Profile
Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/s/stainless%20clevis%20pin?NCNI-5

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  12:33:43  Show Profile
Remember that there is a broad range of stainless steels and only a few are suitable for us. Also be aware that China isn't noted for quality control or even necessarily using the grade that the part claims to be. Critical fittings are not places for parts of uncertain quality.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  17:44:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

Remember that there is a broad range of stainless steels and only a few are suitable for us. Also be aware that China isn't noted for quality control or even necessarily using the grade that the part claims to be. Critical fittings are not places for parts of uncertain quality.

+1! It's a real problem, since even marine chandleries could be getting them from China these days.

I'm concerned about the ones at Home Depot, because the hole looks like it's for a large hitch pin (for attaching fertilizer spreaders to tractors, etc.), and not the small hole that would be preferred for a cotter ring that is typically used for marine fittings.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2014 :  16:52:44  Show Profile
I gave the pin dimensions to Kevin at CD today. He then gave me a CD part number. Instead of putting the pin dimensions on the website they post where the pin is used and on what models. They didn't list my use (stem head fitting) hence all the busy work of collecting and communicating measurements. While I think it is STUUUPID not to list the dimensions, the price was about half of what Harken charges, so I ordered three!

Edited by - OJ on 08/01/2014 16:57:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page