Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Looking forward to seeing how this turns out
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

britinusa
Web Editor

Member Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/24/2014 :  19:08:49  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
[url="https://www.catalina-capri-25s.net/cgi-local/MBR_gallery.cgi?Album+2784+189"]The beginnings of a Project[/url]

Paul

Edited by - on

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2014 :  20:12:05  Show Profile
JDII?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2014 :  21:44:47  Show Profile
My immediate thought was: soap. Lot's of soap.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2014 :  05:15:38  Show Profile
quote:
My immediate thought was: soap. Lot's of soap.

Yea and maybe a Hazmat suit...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

davidbloodworth
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
78 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2014 :  07:54:25  Show Profile
It amazes me how many boats look that way in the marina where my boat is. It looks like they need to be put out of their misery.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jan Briede
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2014 :  09:10:19  Show Profile
looks like the way mine looked four years ago. Mine still cannot win a beauty contest, but it sails and I continue to work on it. Little steps, but once it is safe to sail, take some time to enjoy it!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

worane
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Australia
36 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  18:50:39  Show Profile
Wow! My type of purchase. So much satisfaction in everything you do to it. Well done on the find.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  20:53:35  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Couple of hours with a pressure washer will probably work wonders. At least on the outside. The sails look like they're in great condition.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  05:24:47  Show Profile
Recess looked a lot like that when we bought her. An hour with a pressure washer did wonders. The bottom, when we hauled her out took another 1.5 hours of pressure washing to start the bottom job.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Reality
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  05:34:37  Show Profile
Haven't really had a plan for getting her into shape until now. The hull and deck have been scrubbed and what a difference. When I get back to the boat the next steps are, dive and scrape the bottom (+2 years in the water equates to pretty heavy barnacle), un-step the mast and take that home to begin going through it. For sure: all rope halyards, possibly internal, new anchor light, wind vane, wiring, steaming and deck lights new... With the rigging down I'll be able to get some work done on the deck. Get the old paint off, re-bed everything, possibly paint if the gel coat can't be saved.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Reality
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  09:49:22  Show Profile
So I was looking through the forum for information on a bimini...another one of the projects in the very near future. It's brutally hot down here. Then I start researching book height from the cockpit sole... I think I have a tall rig now looking through members photos. The boom height is only a few inches over the pop top when it is raised. I don't know if I'm excited about that. Looks like I could have lots more headroom in the cockpit if it was standard...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  10:44:02  Show Profile
There are a number of ways you can deal with it. Remember, the standard rig boom is one foot higher than the tall rig boom. Therefore, if you can <u>raise</u> the tall rig boom by one foot, then you can have a bimini that is just as high as on a standard rig. Some people cut a foot off their mainsail and raise the boom, and some buy either a standard rig mainsail or a mainsail from a Capri 25 and use them. But, IMO, the cheapest and easiest way to raise your boom is to have a sailmaker install reef points one foot above the boom. Then, you can tuck in that reef, and raise the boom one foot. You'll have a good sail shape and a functional bimini, and if you want as much sail area as possible, to race the boat, or sail it in light air, you can lower your bimini, shake out the reef, and you'll have it.

Edited by - Steve Milby on 07/31/2014 10:45:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page