Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Selling - break up the boat and race sails?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Heartbeat
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/17/2014 :  14:08:29  Show Profile
So I have Heartbeat up for sale again.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/4574041515.html

I am considering breaking up the boat and the race sails. Does this seam like a good idea? I figure I could sell the sails for $2500 or so and knock that off the boat price. Good Idea? Bad?

The race sails:

Race: Kevlar 155, 145 dacron #2, 110 7oz dacron #3.
Main: dacron, 2 full battens, loose foot with a large leach, but meets class rules.
Max size spinnaker - red!
Large race sails always rolled.

TIA.

Matt

Edited by - on

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2014 :  14:57:59  Show Profile
Do you have a pair of serviceable Dacron cruising sails? If so, offer the boat with them at the apparent market price for the model and year. Your market for a C-25 is unlikely to include racers who would appreciate the value of your racing sails, or who intend to race at all. Laminated sails and a large roach can be a pain for people who just want to go day-sailing.

I'd list the racing sails separately--including here in the Swap Meet--we likely have a few prospects for them.

If you don't have the cruising sails, look around for some, including here. Somebody might even want to trade (with some cash).

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/17/2014 15:05:23
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2014 :  19:33:52  Show Profile
What are you buying?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Heartbeat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2014 :  20:06:43  Show Profile
quote:
Do you have a pair of serviceable Dacron cruising sails?

Yup. Main, 110, old 135, and a kite. With the slick bottom we have, I have seen 7 knots with main & 110 reaching. I have done 6 knots just me and the kids (7 and 10.)

quote:
Originally posted by pastmember

What are you buying?

Not sure. The Admiral (spouse) won't let me look until we have a deal on the table.

Ideally a J/70. Bayview has fleet U20s I have taught classes in, so will probably use them for the interim. I have a friend with an F27 that tells me speed tales I cannot believe, and it would trailer behind my minivan. Maybe a (power) runabout for a while. Who knows?

Matt

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Heartbeat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2014 :  20:13:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Laminated sails and a large roach can be a pain for people who just want to go day-sailing.

You can say that again. The kevlar 155 is fantastic when it is up. On the rare times I have had it up, it just gobbles up gusts with no stretch. You can feel the acceleration. Folding and rolling it is tough - bring friends.

Matt

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2014 :  21:35:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Heartbeat

quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Laminated sails and a large roach can be a pain for people who just want to go day-sailing.
You can say that again. The kevlar 155 is fantastic when it is up. On the rare times I have had it up, it just gobbles up gusts with no stretch. You can feel the acceleration. Folding and rolling it is tough - bring friends.

...with work gloves.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2014 :  07:00:25  Show Profile
Two time national champion with dacron... and friends, this boat is locked in and everything is relaxed, just humm'n in Kansas air.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2014 :  10:18:38  Show Profile
If you adjust for the tipped camera, that boat is heeled to at least 50 degrees--what I would call overpowered. I'm betting a reef, a smaller headsail, and getting that big guy in blue over to windward would be faster.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

AtEase
Deckhand

Members Avatar

23 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2014 :  09:02:54  Show Profile
In your write up you mention it "tows at 80+." If you mean MPH and you have standard ST trailer tires, they are speed rated to 65. If that's the case, I'd amend the ad to eliminate the 80 MPH comment.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Heartbeat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2014 :  08:39:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by AtEase

In your write up you mention it "tows at 80+." If you mean MPH and you have standard ST trailer tires, they are speed rated to 65. If that's the case, I'd amend the ad to eliminate the 80 MPH comment.

Yeah, I guess I better remove that. (Now complete.) I didn't realize the tires were only rated to 65. What is up with that?!? When I moved the boat from Florida to Michigan, we were rolling ~75 the whole way.

Matt

Edited by - Heartbeat on 08/11/2014 09:21:31
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2014 :  02:58:08  Show Profile
AtEase,
You may not be aware of this. I just learned it a couple of years ago.

I have three trailers with ST load range D tires on them inflated to 65 PSI. When you get load range D the 65 MPH max speed does not apply. That said, most ST tires in the 205 size range are load range C and have the 65 MPH speed limit. Finding 205-R15 load range D tires can be difficult. I have set the cruse control at 75 pulling an 8000 pound travel trailer as well as the boat for hundreds of miles.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page