Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Engine Mount and Power Tilt
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kper
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/16/2014 :  07:33:49  Show Profile
I currently have a 1986 9.9 two cycle Sea Horse and was considering changing my motor mount since it has no spring or hydraulic assist and my shoulders aren't what they used to be. The admiral has given approval to purchase a 4 stroke with electric start and possibly a power tilt feature to get the prop out of the water without having to heave up on the mount but I'm concerned about clearance issues.

Would folks mind sharing what your using to keep your props dry without separating your shoulders?

Thanks!

Edited by - on

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2014 :  07:49:30  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
my honda power tilt is great. no strain at all on my index finger :) plenty of clearance when tilted. I still have to lift the mount to clear all the way on port tacks, but the four spring lift works fine.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2014 :  08:14:43  Show Profile
I may start looking at the spring lifts. The only power tilt I found locally was a Mercury @ $3400. Bass Pro carries Nissan but said the only power tilt they sold was Merc. I may have to talk to another employee.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2014 :  10:04:10  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Kyle,
I installed a Garelick mount on my boat a few years back when I got a new Tohatsu outboard. It doesn't have power lift, and I will admit it's a bit of a pain to lift it myself, but Rita (who's 5' & 120lbs) can do it with some coaching.

Here the article I wrote up about it: [url="http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=17458&SearchTerms=mount,tohatsu"]Installing a Garelick outboard bracket.[/url] Even though it's a different boat it might give you some insight into what you're trying to do.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2014 :  10:52:25  Show Profile
Once my spring-loaded bracket (Fulton) was in the up position, I only needed to tilt the 108 lb. Honda 8 XLS one notch to get the skeg out of the water--not hard to do without power tilt. Today, I'd probably choose the Garhauer 4-spring bracket (available from CD) for easy lifting, long travel, and good clearance from the transom. I would probably skip the power tilt, although I loved my electric starter. (I'm currently 69 and getting weaker by the month... )

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/16/2014 10:56:59
Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2014 :  15:59:52  Show Profile
Go to technical tips and look at installing spring booster. I installed one several years ago. It sure helped me out.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2014 :  20:59:22  Show Profile
Lifting is the issue. My XLS doesn't clear the water without tilting, but the pivot point is fairly close to the center of mass. My pneumatic assisted lift was designed for 15hp 2 cycles. Lifting is getting tougher each year (so is lifting the pop top). I'm starting to think about a 2:1 block set or new bracket for the motor and a lift kit for the top.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2014 :  21:50:24  Show Profile
The four spring CD mount with the 15hp Honda extra long with power tilt works well for me. A spare vang with snaps is along for asist if needed.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2014 :  04:43:46  Show Profile
A lot here for new sailors to take in and dissect.

If I can add a starter to my 9.9 I may stay with it and decide on a new mount. Of course I tend to over analyze things before I decide... It's no surprise it too us a year to find the "right" boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2014 :  05:38:34  Show Profile
Only a year? I'd call that impulsive!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2014 :  06:12:13  Show Profile
Get the 9.8 Tohatsu XLS (25" shaft) with electric start (93lbs.) and the 3 or 4 spring motor mount from CD. Three spring should be sufficient, with the 4 spring you may have to push the motor down to lock it in. You won't regret it. Motor is easy to tilt up. Should not need power tilt.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2014 :  07:43:38  Show Profile
Because I do extended cruising 4-5 weeks with lots of motoring the power tilt helps a lot. The weight issue is always a discussion so decision of class rules for racing and cost plus age intering the list. I have all the extras with a 15hp thanks to dealer offer after ordering a 9.9 Honda with just extra long lower unit. Age is my factor as I turn 76 today and have a lot more cruises in my bucket.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2014 :  10:26:58  Show Profile
Go Jim!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2014 :  13:22:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sweetcraft

Age is my factor as I turn 76 today...

<font color="blue">H</font id="blue"><font color="red">a</font id="red"><font color="green">p</font id="green"><font color="teal">p</font id="teal"><font color="red">y</font id="red"> <font color="green">B</font id="green"><font color="purple">i</font id="purple"><font color="orange">r</font id="orange"><font color="blue">t</font id="blue"><font color="limegreen">h</font id="limegreen"><font color="green">d</font id="green"><font color="purple">a</font id="purple"><font color="blue">y</font id="blue">!!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2014 :  21:02:46  Show Profile
Thanks, the kids do worry but I wear the inflatable with a harness.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  08:55:25  Show Profile
Happy birthday Jim.

I agree with David 100%. I have the same setup except for the motor. (mine is the Mercury 9.9 Big Foot) The tilt is handy.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page