Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 V berth changes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Katitude

Member Avatar

USA
31 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/14/2014 :  09:48:07  Show Profile  Visit Katitude's Homepage
I'm looking to open up the v berth. Does anyone know what purpose the panels provide between the berth and the head? Is it purely cosmetic? Or doesn't provide some type of structural support? Same question for the panels between the head and the cabin area?

"I'm the Captain.. that's why"
1980 Catalina 25 SR #1743
Sailng in San Francisco Bay

Edited by - on

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2014 :  10:22:04  Show Profile
The chainplates attach to the builkhead between the cabin and head area. The other set isn't "structural" but does provide rigidity to the hull and deck undoubtedly. There are articles on this site about removing the froward set, and sleeping over the head.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2014 :  10:47:52  Show Profile
At 8' of beam and with the lay up schedule in the deck and hull I question the compressibility of the hull even with all bulk heads removed. The main bulkheads of course serve well as a way to tie the chainplates to the hull liner but I think a person could take those plate, rotate them 90* and put them to the topsides and take all the bulkheads out. I have hauled lots of boats out at our lake with our crane and the straps we use do nothing to a Catalina 25. Other boat hulls will creak a bit but the C 25 never makes a sound.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2014 :  03:32:25  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
At some time earlier, I was also considering a mod to open up the VBerth area. But I put that out of my mind some years back. My thought was that maybe I would not completely remove the forward panels but perhaps modify the panel so that it fully connected topsides as it does now but then trimmed with sort of a concave curve from the topsides to cut down perhaps half of the panel base on each side. That way, the panel was still sort of there but would partially open up the main areaway to the VBerth. The base would then be about half the size at the base on each side effectively widening the areaway to the VBerth approximatey 50% over the existing arrangement. What that benefits...well I had not figured that out fully but thought was that a person(s) would have more room length-wise in the center of the VBerth area over what is existing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2014 :  04:10:18  Show Profile
A quick search turned up this:

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true& TOPIC_ID=25506& SearchTerms=berth

ETA: Also found this one, Click on Doubled's album to see photos:

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true& TOPIC_ID=18900& SearchTerms=berth

ETA2: If I were to do a project like this, I would remove the original bulkheads, cut new replacements and then modify those. That way the original configuration could be reinstalled if need be.

Edited by - Davy J on 04/15/2014 04:32:05
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2014 :  07:26:24  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OLarryR</i>
<br />At some time earlier, I was also considering a mod to open up the VBerth area... The base would then be about half the size at the base on each side effectively widening the areaway to the VBerth approximatey 50% over the existing arrangement...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">What about the compression post that keeps the mast from crushing the cabintop? That's effectively the port-side door frame.

Knowing what I do now (which is debatable), if I were looking for a C-25 and saw one with parts of the main bulkhead (between the salon and the head) missing, I'd probably walk away. That is a designed structural component for the rig and mast. The head/v-berth bulkhead, on the other hand, shouldn't be an issue, unless you want to be able to take a 3 AM leak without doing it in front of your partner's face. One exception might be the "head knocker" between the two sides of the main bulkhead, carrying the accordion door track. I seriously considered removing it--there are some much more scalp-friendly solutions for that door.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page