Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Hull cleaning day!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jweikel625
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
59 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/12/2014 :  17:09:00  Show Profile  Visit Jweikel625's Homepage
Today was a beautiful day, so it became a day to work on the outside of the boat. I had that disgusting brown stain from the Bay above the water line. I spent 2 hours scrubbing with compound and soft scrub on the port side before I asked another guy working on his boat what he suggested. He quickly mentioned two options. FRS or MARIKATE SHIPSHAPE On & Off Hull/Bottom Cleaner. I ran over to the marina store and they had the Marikate. I was instructed on how to use it, which is a good thing since it is an acid. Wow what a difference. Cleaned the starboard side in 20 minutes.
Spent the rest of the day polishing the boat. My arms are tired, even with an electric buffer!
Before

After

1980 SK/SR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41307503@N06/,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPDZgkSfCVg

Edited by - on

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2014 :  19:02:10  Show Profile
Very nice!

For the scum line stains, I use toilet bowl cleaner.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jweikel625
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
59 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2014 :  19:04:57  Show Profile  Visit Jweikel625's Homepage
Don, that is certainly less toxic!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2014 :  20:13:53  Show Profile
Jeff,

Quite a transformation!

What product(s) did you use to polish the hull?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2014 :  06:17:37  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">On & Off Hull/Bottom Cleaner.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Yep, Put a little on a sponge and watch it all disappear. Don't get it on copper based bottom paint, It will discolor it.

Edited by - islander on 04/13/2014 06:20:23
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2014 :  08:13:18  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by islander</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">On & Off Hull/Bottom Cleaner.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
...Put a little on a sponge and watch it all disappear . . .<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The sponge or the stains?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2014 :  09:01:29  Show Profile
There's also "naval jelly" (no, not that kind ), which is phosphoric acid that's easy to smear on and wash off. The advantage is Walmart rather than West Marine pricing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

frog0911
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1349 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2014 :  11:49:19  Show Profile
For the green stains the products of choice come from the dollar store and include rubber gloves, a large sponge and a product called "The Works". Put the works on the sponge, wipe it on the dry stain and rinse with water. Been using this stuff for years. Costs about $5.00 for all the items.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jweikel625
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
59 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2014 :  16:30:29  Show Profile  Visit Jweikel625's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OJ</i>
<br />Jeff,

Quite a transformation!

What product(s) did you use to polish the hull?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

3M clean and wax that I had sitting around, needs several coats. It doesn't look as nice as the picture makes it look.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2014 :  16:49:28  Show Profile
Big improvement Jeff. I experimented with various products and power tools over the years and wasn't completely satisfied. Then I came across this thread:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html

Edited by - OJ on 04/13/2014 16:50:52
Go to Top of Page

Jweikel625
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
59 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2014 :  18:11:58  Show Profile  Visit Jweikel625's Homepage
This past weekend was spent scrapping the boat paint off. I was surprised how much and how easy it came off. My thoughts are it did not have a good adhesion, but maybe this is how the paint is. Also grind the gel coat of the external side of the keel trunk about 8" back to glass it closed. Talk to another glass guy who has a boat at the marina. He has fixed three of these in the past. I learned that I took too much glass off, I should have saved the bench pieces, and that I under estimated how structurally the bench is incorporated into the keel trunk. I am such a newbie. In the end it costs more!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2014 :  22:02:32  Show Profile
Nice blog. You might consider a link to the forum for anybody that doesn't know we exist.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2014 :  18:50:07  Show Profile
Remember when we used ZING on our waterlines?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page