Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Coast Guard Documentation
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RAG Sailor
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
144 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/08/2014 :  12:33:39  Show Profile
Has anyone every gotten USCG documentation for their Catalina 25? I'm planning on moving my boat from a marina in MS to TN (all of 3 miles). I'll have to reregister it for TN and pay additional sales tax! By getting it documented I've been informed that I would avoid having to register it in TN.

Good to be back at sea!

Edited by - on

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2014 :  14:14:01  Show Profile
I doubt many C25s are documented. I also think it might be more complicated than just documenting the boat.

Florida has a lot of out-of-state boats cruising the waters and it's still a complicated issue here. You can read some of the discussion here:

http://cruisersnet.net/important-florida-boat-registration-questions-answered/

What I took away from that article is that even if the boat is documented, you can only stay in FL for a certain time limit before they require you to register the boat in FL. However, it looks like that if you can prove you paid sales tax elsewhere you don't have to pay it here.

I have no idea how any of that will work in TN.... They probably don't have lot of experience with USCG documentation either...

The advice in this response is worth exactly what you paid for it......

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2014 :  14:56:44  Show Profile
Documenting a boat only relieves an owner of the need to <u>register</u> the boat under state law. It doesn't relieve the owner of the <u>liability to pay sales or use taxes that are due</u>. <u>Documentation</u> is a <u>federal</u> system for establishing the <u>ownership</u> of boats, and the existence of liens against boats. <u>Registration</u> is a <u>state</u> system for establishing the <u>ownership</u> of boats, and the existence of liens against boats. Neither of them has anything to do with taxation. Whenever anyone takes a boat (or car or motorcycle, etc.) into another state for an extended period of time, he should take with him documentary proof of the amount of state sales tax that he paid when he bought the boat. He'll ordinarily get credit for the amount of taxes he paid at the time of purchase, but, if the tax rate in the new state is higher than in the old state, he will pay the difference.

Don't kid yourself about the states' sophistication in collecting these taxes. They all attend seminars, and are fairly knowledgeable. To my way of thinking, it's cheaper to pay the tax than to pay the cost of getting your boat out of impound, and then pay the tax too.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2014 :  17:24:26  Show Profile
Ohio based documented vessels must still be registered in Ohio, but they aren't issued OH numbers. I don't know about TN.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2014 :  18:11:44  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Milby</i>
<br />Documenting a boat only relieves an owner of the need to <u>register</u> the boat under state law.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Not in Connecticut. It only means the boat doesn't wear the state numbers (which might confuse some people)--but it had better have the state registration aboard. Sales tax is waived if paid in another state. I'd be very careful where you get your advice--I've heard a lot from people who don't know or who know about the wrong state. Check with TN.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jhorner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
26 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2014 :  18:31:19  Show Profile
Are you moving it to Pickwick? I had a Cat 22 there back in the 80's.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

RAG Sailor
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
144 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2014 :  07:01:00  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jhorner</i>
<br />Are you moving it to Pickwick? I had a Cat 22 there back in the 80's.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Sure am. The boat was purchased while at Grand Harbor in Iuka. Pickwick had a waitlist and I just got in. It's the best place for sailboats.

Thank you all for your responses. To those of you who warned me about getting wrong information, don't worry, I don't fire first and then aim. That is why I posted the question. I know that I can get more reliable info from the forum and wait till I have a consensus.

Edited by - RAG Sailor on 04/09/2014 07:05:21
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2014 :  19:50:20  Show Profile
Just checked, and a number of states specifically state that you are required to submit to boarding and inspection by state officers. TN requires registration of documented vessels, but doesn't say anything specifically about boarding and inspection on their website. I'm not really sure what you gain by documenting other than not having numbers on your bow.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2014 :  07:21:40  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave5041</i>
<br />Just checked, and a number of states specifically state that you are required to submit to boarding and inspection by state officers. TN requires registration of documented vessels, but doesn't say anything specifically about boarding and inspection on their website...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Heh-heh... Try refusing them and see where that gets you.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page