Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Tall Rig Bimini
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kennyge
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/31/2014 :  08:34:36  Show Profile
Last year I installed a bimini on my tall rig and in order to sail with it up I slid the boom up about a foot on the mast and just put a loose reef on the main.

My question is, how about having a foot taken off the top of the main sail by my sailmaker? I see lots of other boats out there with "flat top" mains. I think I would rather loose a square foot or less of sail off the top rather than loosing 10 sq ft off the bottom.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kennyg
1985 C25 TR/FK
AHOY VEY! - Hull # 4952
Out of Bayside, Queens,NY

Edited by - on

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2014 :  09:39:23  Show Profile
You'd need to lose the backstay to put a flat-top main on a Catalina 25. That would mean re-engineering the whole rig.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kennyge
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2014 :  12:40:43  Show Profile
I thought of that but when I look up there, it seems like there might be enough room if I just had 1 foot cut off.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2014 :  13:16:06  Show Profile
It wouldn't work for the reason Alex said, but there are a number of ways that it has been done.

You could buy a new or used Capri 25 mainsail, which is one foot shorter than a C25 tall rig mainsail.

You could have a sailmaker shorten your mainsail by one foot.

You could have a sailmaker add a short reef one foot above the foot of the sail. I favor this approach, because you wouldn't alter your mainsail in a way that would prevent you from using it as originally designed, if you chose to do so. It's nice to have that extra sail area on those light air days. That's when the extra sail area makes the most difference.

Any of these methods would require that you raise the boom one foot. I'm not sure when Catalina started producing the C25 with an attached boom. I think the 1985 boat still had a sliding boom. If the boom is attached, then you would have to modify it to allow it to slide up.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kennyge
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2014 :  13:57:59  Show Profile
Yes, the boom does slide up the mast on my 85 which gives me a lot of flexibility.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2014 :  14:17:13  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kennyge</i>
<br />I thought of that but when I look up there, it seems like there might be enough room if I just had 1 foot cut off.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The sail on my C25 tall rig without a huge roach still caught on the backstay. I don't think you could cut a foot off the top and not have it catch.

However you can check by measuring down one foot along the luff and getting the distance to the leech. Make a temporary "batten" out of cardboard in that length and tape it to the sail at the head. See if it catches.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kennyge
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2014 :  15:00:27  Show Profile
Thanks Alex, that's a great idea and I will check it out.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2014 :  05:51:46  Show Profile
The fellow I sold my TR to switched to a Capri 25 main and likes it a lot. Allows for a bit taller bimini.
I actually prefer the 1 ft high extra reef point option. Like Steve said, that way you still have the full sail available.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page