Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Documenting repairs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jweikel625
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
59 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/19/2014 :  14:50:21  Show Profile  Visit Jweikel625's Homepage
I decided to start a blog to document my repairs. If interested, please follow along. So far I dropped the keel and exposed the damaged fiberglass in the keel housing and waiting for an estimate on the repairs.
http://bvibum.blogspot.com/
Next will be changing lift cable, putting spacer sleeve around pin. The cleaning up the boat!!!

1980 SK/SR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41307503@N06/,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPDZgkSfCVg

Edited by - on

oldragbaggers
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
47 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2014 :  17:29:23  Show Profile  Visit oldragbaggers's Homepage
Nice blog. I love the way your pictures go into a slide show. I am using Wordpress and having a heck of a time finding a plug in that will do it correctly.

Your boat is in beautiful condition and was obviously very well cared for and upgraded. We have also visited your marina when we were looking for a boat to buy and it's a very nice location. I wish it wasn't such a drive or we would keep a boat there.

Best of luck to you. Maybe our wakes will cross out on the Bay sometimes.

Becky

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2014 :  17:50:08  Show Profile
Are you going to look into kevlar or carbon fiber for the patch on the trunk?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jweikel625
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
59 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2014 :  05:09:54  Show Profile  Visit Jweikel625's Homepage
I am waiting for an estimate and recommendation from a professional. So I will see what he recommends. those materials maybe cost prohibitive.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2014 :  07:27:12  Show Profile
for the small amount of material to repair the trunk, it shouldn't bee too much of a price difference. most of the bill from the professional will be the labor...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2014 :  18:25:53  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Of course, you could build a photo album in the membership area. Gets a lot of attention.

Just another benefit of membership.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jweikel625
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
59 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2014 :  16:45:18  Show Profile  Visit Jweikel625's Homepage
I joined this past week but didn't see my status change yet. I will work on photo album.
Scott, are you suggesting doing the repair myself???

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2014 :  17:19:51  Show Profile
This is a pretty important and structural repair that should be done correctly with no short cuts. I don't recommend this as a DIY repair unless it is something you are positively comfortable doing on your own and have the background to evaluate your own work when done.

What I meant in my previous statement is that the price difference in materials fiberglass vs. another higher strength cloth should not be that much more due to the fact that it doesn't require a whole lot of material. The total bill from the repair man might be fifteen or twenty percent more for the stronger cloth, than if he did it with just E-glass cloth..... when you get a quote for the job, talk to them about both options, if the higher strength option costs way more, then the E-glass option will do just fine, you are not building an ultralight hightech machine...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jweikel625
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
59 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2014 :  17:47:29  Show Profile  Visit Jweikel625's Homepage
Thanks Scott! I will ask. I really hope I hear soon so I have direction!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2014 :  18:42:58  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Jeff, your account has been updated, so your posts now fly that really nice Burgee

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jweikel625
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
59 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2014 :  19:24:50  Show Profile  Visit Jweikel625's Homepage
Thanks Paul!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jweikel625
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
59 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2014 :  19:27:19  Show Profile  Visit Jweikel625's Homepage
I created an Album to show the repairs! That was easy!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2014 :  04:51:03  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
And here's the [url="https://www.catalina-capri-25s.net/cgi-local/MBR_gallery.cgi?Album+2753+169"]link[/url]

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page