Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Trailer equalizer not equal
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jduck00
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/15/2014 :  11:32:02  Show Profile
Hey Fellows

I posted this over in iboats as well. Any thoughts?

I have a problematic tandem axle trailer. Below is a picture of the empty trailer. With the boat on the trailer the suspension is the same. The leading edge of the equalizer is only about an 1" off the ground with the boat on it. The boat is a Catalina 25' swing keel. I think boat comes in around the 5,500 lb mark.

The boat and trailer sat for years so I'm not ignoring the fact that the springs probably need to be replaced. I took some measurements and the distance on the hangers is off. Center to center from the front hanger to the equalizer pivot bolt is 29.5". From the center to the rear is 29". Both sides are the same. Has anyone seen this before? Is there a reason the distances would be different?

With the boat on the trailer, it is fairly balanced with probably 300-400 lbs on the tongue. It pulls well, but I've only taken to the lake and back once. I'm about to haul it 1400 miles and need to get the trailer up to it. This is the first tandem axle trailer that has given me problems like this.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850

Edited by - on

sdpinaz
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
193 Posts

Response Posted - 03/15/2014 :  17:00:31  Show Profile
It has done this because there are brakes only on the front axle. when you apply the brakes it pushes that one axle rearward and throws the equalizer out of balance. You could get a jack out and jack the equalizer's leading edge until it is level again and see how long it stays that way. With fresh and properly spec'd springs it should bounce back as soon as you stop applying brakes, but as the springs and the pivot bolt bushings wear, you will get some variation like this. I would not worry too much about it though and it should not hurt anything, except the pivot bolts and their bushing will wear prematurely, just keep your eye on them. Leaf springs are designed for moving, not stopping! I think in this simple design it is a design flaw to have the load bearing springs also acting as the longitudinal, lateral, and torque control of the axles as well. But as long as you do not run into any clearance issues, which you shouldn't since they are so close to the tires, then you should be OK.
Cheers,
Scott

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 03/15/2014 :  17:01:24  Show Profile
Have you tried jacking it up and using a pry bar to get it back the way it should be. Almost looks like the front hanger/spring went over center and it cannot get back in balance.

When you set the boat on it the geometry in it's present condition is such that it just makes the problem worse instead of correcting itself.

Is it a Magic Tilt trailer? Looks very similar to mine except for the spring situation.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2014 :  05:58:19  Show Profile
Not sure what would cause that unless the pivot points are seizing from rust and it takes a load to overcome that. I had to drip oil on one some to get them to loosen up on a trailer once. I would remove the bolts and check to see if they are rusted badly. I looked at some on a boat trailer that were rusted nearly half way through in the middle. Also check the axel for interior rust. I had an axel break because it was rusted from the inside. Trailer was 6 years old. Also, the brakes on a double axel trailer are normally on the rear axel when not on both. Not sure what that would do except maybe induce some sway when breaking.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2014 :  08:24:26  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
FYI, when we had the trailer serviced a year ago, we added discs to the 2nd axle.

We found out that Florida (like many other states) law requires breaks on both axles on a trailer with our load. (C250WB)

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

AtEase
Deckhand

Members Avatar

23 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2014 :  13:59:16  Show Profile
FYI, 300 to 400 pounds is not enough tongue weight. The standard is 10% of the gross weight...the boat's 5,500# plus the trailer's weight times 10%.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2014 :  19:00:35  Show Profile
I'm in the process of rebuilding the trailer. So far new springs, shackles, and equalizer. The springs were a 1/2" longer than they were supposed to be. Got into the brakes, and I don't think they ever worked. The shoes are basically new and the drum surface rusted. Should have it all back together this week. Haul out is Saturday. Can't do much on the tongue weight. It is what it is without moving a whole lot of stuff.

I thought about adding a second set of brakes, but I'm already over budget on the trailer. I've got a permanent AR tag, so maybe I wont have to register it in FL. If I do, I'll deal with the 2nd axle then. At least it has the bracket for brakes. Shouldn't be too hard to add them if I have to.

I'm hoping the new springs and hardware get it fixed. If not, I'll play with the shackle strap lenghts until it equalizes out.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2014 :  19:29:58  Show Profile
Trailering magazine for RVers tested a variety of tow and vehicle combos 2 years ago to look at tongue weight since the old 7.5-10% has somehow transitioned to 10-15%. The found that 10% was the most required and almost all combinations were perfectly fine at 7.5%. The test is in towing. A package that is stable at 7.5% will not be better at 10%.

Edited by - Dave5041 on 04/06/2014 19:31:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page