Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Cape Coral to Key West now with pictures
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WesAllen
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/16/2013 :  09:31:25  Show Profile
I finally did it after three years of planning and trying. A friend and I just completed the trip yesterday after leaving Cape Coral 9 days ago (4 nights in Key West Bight Marina). The boat handled everything just fine. Storage with the C25 is the biggest obstacle. Overall it was a trip of a lifetime.

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI

Edited by - WesAllen on 04/30/2014 21:16:12

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2013 :  09:37:12  Show Profile
Congratulations, Now you know we expect more information than that. We expect pictures, video, ships log.......

Sailed straight through? Stops along the coast? Duval crawl?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2013 :  19:30:16  Show Profile
Alas I didn't take enough pictures but I did take a lot of notes. We left Cape Coral about 10 AM (I'm not known to be an early riser). After motoring to Sanibel Bridge we set the sails. It was pretty windy so I lowered the main and reefed the genoa. Even then we were making 6 ti 7.5 mph. Hit Naples City Marina at 4:30 PM.
Next Morning we left Naples heading for Everglades City. Very little wind so we motored until rounding what ever the area is called below Marco Island. We also found that the water at low tide is pretty shallow in that area (stuck on sand bars several times in a learning spree). Sailed then on to Everglades City. By the time we neared Everglades City we noticed the rudder not responding very well and felt loose. Upon inspection saw that 2 of the 3 bolts on the lower gudgeon were missing (I believe because of the grounding on the sand bars). To take the strain of we switch to motoring again. Made Everglades City at 11 PM.
Fixed the rudder bolts and refilled fuel tanks at Everglades Isle Marina and headed out Indian Key pass. After an hour and a half we made the Gulf again and saw that at 12:30 PM it was to late to start for Key West. Gunk holed for the night. Woke up at 2 AM and headed out. Great sail to Key West arriving about 6 PM.
Stayed at the Key West Bight Marina for 4 nights and returned same route. I could go on and on about the things we would do different next time. Maybe next year in fact.
Had a great time and it is not to much of a trip for a C25 in my opinion.
P.S. Duval is a whole different topic.

Edited by - WesAllen on 04/16/2013 19:31:53
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2013 :  10:27:15  Show Profile
That's fantastic... what a great trip.

Cheers!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dgilmer
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2014 :  11:48:46  Show Profile
Wes is off on his second trip to Key West. He left this past Thursday (10 Apr 14) morning and I received a text Sunday morning that he'd arrived Saturday (12 Apr 14)evening safe and sound but some heavier seas than expected.

I hope we hear more of this year's trip soon

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2014 :  14:05:55  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Hope he took a camera or smart phone this time!

Arrr, the stories he'll tell! Gather round me hearties!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2014 :  19:58:39  Show Profile
Time to get with the Mainsheet Editor.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dgilmer
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2014 :  06:09:29  Show Profile
Weather...we all love it, we all hate it. Alas Wes had to leave his boat "Breaking Wind" in Key West and fetch his trailer from Cape Coral. The return weather was going to be a bit dodgy. But He can fill you all in on the details (ask him about his sojourn to La-Te-Da and a new way to remove eye glasses).

However, in the spirit of friendly teasing, Wes now owns the new handle of "One Way Wes". Bestowed upon him from his raucous Cape Coral Mates.

Cheers to One Way Wes

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2014 :  06:37:54  Show Profile
I have been wondering how the return trip would go. That whole next week, man, the weather in the Gulf of Mexico was crap. High northerly winds, storms, clouds. Of course this week has been great.....

At least he had the option to go get the trailer.

I would have been stuck down there, ruining my liver for a whole nother week.....

Edited by - Davy J on 04/25/2014 06:42:25
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2014 :  07:09:54  Show Profile
can't wait to hear from OWW

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2014 :  20:32:12  Show Profile
OK, I can sometimes get the hint. I have uploaded some pictures from my ONE WAY trip to Key West. It was an adventure this year that was so much different than last year. Very good to excellent weather last year and marginal at best this year.
We left Cape Coral with robust winds all the way to Marco Island. Dropped the hook at Marco for the night and woke up to pretty good winds the next morning. From there it went down hill.
After heading south and clearing the shallow waters past Marco Island we proceeded to head southeast to Shark River. The wind changed directions and increased right out of the southeast. Waves crashing the bow with lots of spray made for a wet cold ride from then on.
Made Shark River after dark but there were many boats anchored there which made it easier to find (lots of anchor lights). Got up early and headed for Key West (still dark so no pics of Shark River).
With following seas we thought that this was going to be a piece of cake but after a few hours the wind picked up and so did the size of the waves (4 to 5 foot).
It was like riding a roller coaster for the next 7 or 8 hours. The boat handle the waves ok but it was very tiresome trying to keep on coarse.
Great time in Key West as expected. The winds changed and came from the north northwest after that. We delayed a couple extra days hoping for better, but it didn't happen. I called home and talked the rear admiral (wife) and she said get the trailer and get my A%& back home.
Hence the One Way Wes coined by Don.
But now I can safely say that I can try again. That's why I have a trailer for my boat.

Try link below.
[url="https://www.catalina-capri-25s.net/cgi-local/MBR_gallery.cgi?Album+2172+175"]
<b>Cape Coral to Key West</b>[/url]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2014 :  07:19:19  Show Profile
That looks like Fun... Nice boat!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

cat25
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
140 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2014 :  08:18:01  Show Profile
Wes is your boat a tall rig? If so how tall is your bimini? Thanks ken 1990 tall rig wk. Great pictures. I hope to plan a trip from stamford ct to block island.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2014 :  12:52:40  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
@WesAllen: Very nice boat and great trip report! Envy

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2014 :  11:21:04  Show Profile
Ken, mine is a standard rig. The bimini was from a different boat that I cut the bow (legs) to length so that they will clear my boom by 2 inches when the sail is up. Seems to work pretty good. I did run a piece of railing from the rear bow to the nearest stanchion that really improved the stability when unhooking the rear tie down strap at the dock. Sorry I can't give you a measurement because it is now back in the barn waiting for Michigan weather to get a whole lot better than it is now.

Wes

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

cat25
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
140 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2014 :  14:56:42  Show Profile
Thanks for the information on the bimini.I have a tall rig and a bimini would be nice. Might ohop a foot off the mainsail for the extra height. Thanks Ken.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page