Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Deck Flex
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jduck00
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/25/2013 :  08:44:39  Show Profile
Hello Fellows

Im running my halyards back to the cockpit and have a question on deck flex.

I don't have a fancy mast plate. My doesn't have any holes to install pulleys on. So, I'm putting a couple of these on the deck to attach the pulleys to. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CFNQ1BC/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got the one for the main installed. I put it centered with the mast about 3" towards the bow. When I drilled through the core it felt solid enough, but I could tell the inner deck had delaminated. I put the screws through with fender washers on the bottom side. It all pulled together nicely.

I ran a rope through it and guess I probably pulled up with a 100lbs of for or so. The deck didn't pop, but did flex up about an 1/8". I'm thinking I might have core problems. I wouldn't expect the deck to flex so much.

I have some stainless stock left and thought about putting a 3" x 6" backing plate down instead of the fender washers.

I guess getting to the question, is that part of the deck strong enough to attach deck fittings to?

Thanks

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850

Edited by - on

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2013 :  09:46:08  Show Profile
Too late now, but I'd have strongly recommended getting the [url="http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1406&ParentCat=37"]deck plate[/url] (with the holes) that goes under the mast step--available from Catalina Direct. With that, you don't add so many holes in the deck (except for the other hardware), and the entire rig holds the plate down.

The "delamination" you speak of is probably a relativey normal void between the deck core and the inner liner, which is a separate molding. I found as much as 1/4", maybe more, in some areas. When you drilled through the core, how did it feel and what residue did you see on the drill bit?

This potential flexing is another good reason to drill a larger hole, fill with thickened epoxy, and then re-drill through the middle of the epoxy for the size of the bolt. That protects the core from water intrusion, and creates a "compression sleeve" between the hardware and the backer (washer or whatever). Some people use penetrating epoxy inside the hole before adding the thickened stuff, to further protect the wood. The upward flexing also is trying to break the seal on whatever you used to bed the eyepad--another reason the deck plate is the recommended solution.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/25/2013 09:56:51
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2013 :  12:08:06  Show Profile
I was trying to get away with not pulling the deck plate up. That and the ropes will work out better if I get the pulleys out from the mast a bit. I'm running both halyards down the same side of the boat. I don't have the mast plate to size it up with, but it looks like the electrical connector and vang hardware would probably be in the way given my routing.

The separation at the inner liner was minimal. Not really a void, but I could feel it deflect under the drill after I got through the core.

The flexing isn't just at the spot. I took a good stance from side to side, ~30", and then pulled up with a good deal of force. Maybe more than 100lbs. The whole top deflects. Its hard to gauge from my perspective, but it doesn't deflect more than 1/8" at the most. I put more force on it than I ever have the halyard. I stepped around the same area and can't feel any week points.

I know that things in a boat flex and bend so that doesn't concern me so much if that is the norm for that area.

So if I don't break down and go with the mast plate, I guess the next steps are drilling out the hole a bit more and fill in any void between it and the core. Do that and add a larger backing plate.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2013 :  14:55:33  Show Profile
Pearl came with deck mounted hardware, but the plate under the mast is really the way to go. Putting fewer holes in the boat is always a good thing. I go with what I've got because it works and the money for a bunch of new blocks can go toward other things.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2013 :  16:05:45  Show Profile
Think about the forces. A deck plate makes the halyard tension simply compress the mast against itself because the plate is under the mast. I have always thought deck mounted turning blocks for halyards are a very bad idea AND they put holes in your boat. When I have a hole I wish was not there I simply put a bolt through it and call it good. You have the chance to use your new holes as a way to inject some git rot to fix the flex. Then get a plate. I bought mine directly from Garhauer with no holes so I could drill my own to match the pattern on my mast step, those holes vary at least year to year if not boat to boat. It is a great excuse to buy a drill press.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2013 :  17:39:36  Show Profile
Yep. Went ahead and ordered the plate. I figure I can make the lines work somehow. Its too cold for Git Rot, but I'll put that on the list for spring. I have sufficient butyl tape on the fitting for now.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page