Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Question about the head
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sublime
1st Mate

Member Avatar

27 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/02/2018 :  12:08:19  Show Profile
I have a head that goes to a tank. It's a new to me boat and is in the water. I don't trust the seacocks and will replace them this winter season. But I'm wondering if I could pour some water into the head and then pump it to the tank so we could still use it without potentially sinking the boat?

This is a '77 cat 25.

***This post is made of recycled electrons

Edited by - Sublime on 07/02/2018 12:09:24

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2018 :  12:48:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sublime

But I'm wondering if I could pour some water into the head and then pump it to the tank...

Your blackwater tank has no seacock connection through the hull. It has an inlet from the head, a pump out hose to a deckplate and a vent line to the deck.

The seacock is somewhere forward (just at the aft end of the v-berth near the hull centerline in my '85). This feeds the head and drains the forward sink. If it's leaking, you'd be able to see it.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

RichardG
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2018 :  13:05:34  Show Profile
Yes, unless the tank is full. In fact, I plumbed water from my fresh water tank to a small pump and tube that just goes over the edge of the bowl. This has basically removed all odor issues with my head system. I've found that essentially all head odor issues result from dying/rotting organisms from sea water, not sewage.

RichardG 81 FK/SR #2657
Terminal Island, CA

Edited by - RichardG on 07/02/2018 13:18:12
Go to Top of Page

Sublime
1st Mate

Members Avatar

27 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2018 :  13:29:01  Show Profile
how much water does the head need?

I just want to skip the inlet for water until I can make sure nothing that can sink the boat is going to leak.

Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2018 :  13:37:52  Show Profile
You could do exactly what you propose. Perhaps keep a gallon jug near the head and pour as needed. I don’t think it would take much. (A quart???)

However, I agree with above statements that, rather than avoid the seacock and plumbing, go ahead and open the valve while you are at the boat. Check it for leaks a minute or two later. Then an hour later. Then before you leave for the day. If it doesn’t leak, it doesn’t leak and you are all set. If it does leak somewhere, you will know what to replace...and could likely do so anytime, rather than waiting for the seacock replacement job.

Before you leave the boat, close all seacocks. That is standard procedure on all boats, not just because you are concerned about this boat.

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2018 :  14:07:34  Show Profile
Honestly your boat is a 77 and could have the original volcano seacocks. This boat is new to you so without knowing any history I wouldn't touch them until the boat is out of the water where you can safely try to open them or replace them if they are the volcano type. let a sleeping dog lie as they say. Trying to open them while in the water is just a huge risk. What is the back up plan if the whole seacock comes out in your hand and water is gushing in? Why is it closed?? when was the last time it was open?? Is it closed for a reason ?? Too many unknowns in my opinion. Carry some water in gallon containers and flush that way.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 07/02/2018 14:10:22
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2018 :  18:00:35  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
I agree with Scott, don't mess with an old seacock (or worse, gate valve) which you don't know the condition of while in the water. (Unless you're already in the slings for a haulout.)

See if this anecdote doesn't make your skin crawl. I bought my 1979 Catalina 25 in the water in Miami. I left my girlfriend aboard to tidy up while I went to pick up a spare motor for the trip home to Port Canaveral. When I got back, she had a twisted off gate valve handle in her hand, asking of this was important. *face palm w/clenched teeth*

-- Leon Sisson

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2018 :  18:06:37  Show Profile
Regarding checking seacock in water I agree that you should wait until o the hard and then check/inspect/replace. Regarding fresh water to operate the head, one of the projects on my to do list is to rejuvenate the head. I would like to have a fresh water system to avid smells that salt water will create in the holding tank. Has anyone installed such a system? The approach Richard has taken may be the ticket, but I was considering using my fresh water tank for the head and not using it for the galley rather using jug water for cleaning/drinking.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2018 :  19:28:07  Show Profile
Gallon jug of water will be more than enough for a few flushes. When I got my boat it always smelled. Finally got tired of it, pumped the tank and have used fresh water since and it has NEVER smelled since.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2018 :  22:44:51  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
Re: "I would like to have a fresh water system to avoid smells that salt water will create in the holding tank. Has anyone installed such a system"

In my Catalina 25, I have pressure water. The head sink drain and head raw water intake share the same thru-hull using a T-fitting atop the seacock. With the seacock open, the head flushes with whatever the boat is floating in. With the seacock closed, the head flushes using water from the sink drain. So, wash hands, then flush with that same water. Or, just run water in the sink to flush with. On trips, leave the seacock open until the last day. The last couple flushes with fresh water rinse out the head hoses.

My rigid 16 gallon holding tank under the V-berth has two 1" vent hoses to thru-hulls high in the topsides near the bow, which provides a cross flow of air through the holding tank.

-- Leon Sisson

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

Sublime
1st Mate

Members Avatar

27 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2018 :  15:36:49  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander
let a sleeping dog lie as they say.

Exactly why I'm not touching them. They aren't leaking now *touch wood* and the previous owner said they never used the head so I'm replacing them over winter and won't even breathe on them until then lol.

Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2018 :  17:19:37  Show Profile
I don't have a pressurized system, but a few pumps of the whale gusher at the sink and the head flushes just fine. Sometimes a few extra pumps is needed, but always less than a quart.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2018 :  05:53:07  Show Profile
*Wow!* I’m really loving my porta potty right now. I recently figured out how to use the local pump out adapter at the gas dock to clean it out. No brainer! Thank you one more time Dave Stinkpotter!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page