Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Removing outboard while on a mooring
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Huey4jam
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/26/2018 :  10:12:51  Show Profile
Hi All. I'm new to this forum and would appreciate some advice. How do I remove my 8hp long shaft mercury from my C25 (1983 with motor mount on Starboard side) while at a mooring? It's not convenient to bring the boat to a dock, so I was thinking of doing something with the topping lift or main halyard or main sheet block, but the challenge that I foresee is that the end of the boom is so far forward that the lifting force would be at about a 45 degree angle.....has anyone ever made some sort of davit setup or cantilevered brace to solve this problem? I'd appreciate any and all advice. I'm tired of my boat yard charging me for this operation!

Hugh Jamieson

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2018 :  13:03:33  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
I have not done this, but here's what I have in mind and it's possible with one person:

1. Attach the topping lift/main halyard to the end of the boom, wrap the topping lift line around the halyard winch and cleat it off.

2. Lash a 2x4 or similar beam to the boom such that the end of the beam is located directly above the motor using one of the sheets.

3. Attach a block to the end of the beam and run a line through it and tie it around the motor(would make sure the line passes through the hand loop).

4. Pull on the line to lift up on the motor and take the weight off of the motor mount and then secure the line to one of the mast cleats.

5. Loosen the clamps holding the motor to the mount.

6. Use the halyard winch with the topping lift to raise the motor up over the rear pushpit until it swings over the cockpit.

7. Lower the motor into your arms :-)

Or lower it into a dinghy or whatever.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette

Edited by - HerdOfTurtles on 06/26/2018 13:06:36
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2018 :  13:03:36  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
Hugh,

Once off the motor mount, where are you trying to transfer the outboard to?

The few times I've installed or removed the 10hp 4-stroke long shaft outboard on the port side of my Catalina 25, I've just muscled it on or off, with a safety tether in case I drop it. I back my boat into a slip with tall pilings, so my safety line is closer to vertical than a line to the masthead would be.

At an old time marina where I worked, we had a rotating boom crane which pivoted around a tall piling, the nearly horizontal arm raised and lowered by a tackle to a synchronized rotating anchor point at the top of the piling. We used it for reaching into cabin cruisers to remove and install inboard V-8 engines.

Here are a few links which might give you some ideas:

http://www.pbo.co.uk/practical-projects/outboard-engine-hoist-19209

https://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=41

https://garhauermarine.com/ProductSpecs.cfm?pid=594

https://www.custommarineproducts.com/outboard-motor-lift-crane.html

http://myboatsgear.com/2017/01/07/outboard-lift/

https://www.defender.com/pdf/Davits-Motor-Lift-Instructions.pdf

http://davit.com/remcranes.html

http://www.allboatproducts.com/Davits-for-Dinghies/Engine-Cargo-Cranes/nova-lift-multi-use-crane.html

Also search pinterest.com and of course youtube.com.

I'd like a safer, easier, more convenient way to handle my motor too.

-- Leon Sisson

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

Huey4jam
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2018 :  13:39:52  Show Profile
Thank you so much for these carefully thought out and researched replies! It is much appreciated!

@Leon I'd love to buy something like the purpose built hoists in the links, but can't justify the expense for something that I really don't do that often - just when repairs are necessary. I'm transferring the motor from a 10' inflatable to the C25 or visa versa, at the mooring. Unfortunately it wont be practical to back the C25 on to the dock, which would be ideal.

@heardofturtles I love the idea of extending the boom! Thanks for that. I might modify a bit as follows:
Attach topping lift to end of boom and cleat off.
Lash my long wooden oar to the boom to extend the end above the outboard
Run the end of the main halyard through a loop of rope or block at the end of the oar, directly over the outboard, so that any downward force pulls down on the main halyard, which will have some give, and pushes the oar laterally back toward the boom, but not down, which will probably break it
Attach my mainsheet block to the end of the halyard and the outboard
Haul the outboard up off it's mount and gently lower back down into my 10' inflatable in the water aft
Save $200 by doing it myself!

Thoughts? Will it still bend the oar down or will the downward force go down through the block and just push the oar back? Maybe I can also attach a rope from the backstay to somewhere along the oars length to reenforce the setup?

Hugh

Hugh Jamieson
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2018 :  17:01:42  Show Profile
Hugh - I just pulled my 9.9 Mercury long shaft Big Foot off while on my mooring last week.

The actual lift took just a few seconds, the prep took 15 minutes to get everything set just right. I did not want to drop the motor overboard.

I borrowed a dingy, a inflatable one with a wood slat floor. A soft floor dingy would make the job more difficult. I put two jacket style life jackets on the dingy side next to the motor to protect the dingy side from being punctured by the skeg/propeller.

I tied the dingy close and tight to the Catalina using forward and stern rope to keep the dingy as secure as possible.. Tied a rope to the motor and had my 10 year old run the rope around the railing a few times, his job was to catch the motor if we dropped it, kinda like you do with rock climbing.

Had my 12 year old in the dingy, I lifted from the Catalina. Lifted up, then over standing upright on the dingy on the life jackets, 12 year old guided the bottom end. Then I came down to the dingy and we both laid the motor on the correct side for its oil crank case. Then we lifted down to the dingy floor.

It’s wasnt hard, the pre- planning and prep/practice just before so we all knew our roles helped a lot.

Erik

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

Huey4jam
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2018 :  08:13:35  Show Profile
Thanks for that Erik. Maybe I'm over thinking this a bit.....I can have my wife (AKA "The Admiral") down in the dink (we have an RIB so not worried about the bottom) and she can balance the motor while I come down to help lay it down. I'll give it a try and let you know how I fare

Hugh Jamieson
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2018 :  10:55:42  Show Profile
Just an idea but you could make a bridal around the motor head then tie the bridal to a 4-5ft 2x4 above the motor. One person in the boat and another in the dingy. You both then have a handle, The 2 ends of the 2x4 to lift the motor off and into the dingy. You can make a bridal out of line similar to the Davis motor caddy below.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 06/27/2018 11:07:12
Go to Top of Page

hbushey
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
29 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2018 :  21:35:36  Show Profile
The previous owner of our boat included a Forespar motor hoist in the purchase. It’s worth it’s weight in gold.

Heather and Scott
“Respite”
1989 C-25 TR/WK
Go to Top of Page

Huey4jam
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2018 :  05:57:54  Show Profile
Thanks Islander. I just ordered one of those bridals on Amazon

Hugh Jamieson
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2018 :  06:49:17  Show Profile
Hugh, I had the Davis motor caddy back when I had a power boat. I had it on a Yamaha 8hp so I could lift the motor with one hand like a suitcase off the boats swim platform and onto my inflatable. Made it very easy. That was a 2cycle short shaft so I would say your motor will be a little heavier but The caddy gives you a solid handle on top to grab the motor. Outboards just aren't easy to get a good grip on.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2018 :  10:59:09  Show Profile
I prefer lifting my 104 lb Honda 9.9hp motor directly onto the corner of the finger slip and the dock, during a high, high tide, since my marina has fixed docks.

However, in the past, I made a temporary derrick in the cockpit. I used a ~9 foot long aluminum Sunfish mast secured to a pine board in the corner of the cockpit against the bulkhead and opposite the motor. At the far end over the motor I attached the main sheet block and tackle down to a bridle on the motor. Lift was provided by the main halyard (with the boom vang rig also in line). I tied two lines loosely to port and starboard to keep the motor from swinging uncontrollably overboard.

This setup was strong and stable enough for lifting the motor and moving it to the dock for service. You could replace the aluminum tube with a 2x4 with holes drilled.

p.s., I found the Sunfish mast on the shore of Eastern Nick Island Wildlife Sanctuary, where it had apparently washed ashore years after a capsize that lost the mast of the little sailboat! I also use it as the handle of my home-made oar (carved 8 foot 2x6 board) that can drive the C-25 at 1.0 knots on still water. It's my propulsion of last resort.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2018 :  14:05:31  Show Profile
I haven't done this exact thing--just similar at a dock... But here's what I'd look at doing from a dinghy (which might be easier given its position relative to the motor):

1. Recruit another pair of hands.
2. Raise the outboard bracket and tilt the motor up.
3. Lash the inflatable's bow and stern tightly to the two stern cleats, port side against the transom ("working end" of the dinghy inside of the motor).
4. Lower the bracket at least partially so it extends over the dinghy.
5. Tie a safety line from the handle above the clamps to the stern rail base, long enough to keep the power head from getting doused if something goes wrong.
6. With the helper standing outside of the outboard (in the bow of the dinghy) and holding the outboard's lower unit, slide it off the bracket toward the boat's center-line and lay it down (on the correct side if a 4-stroke).
7. As I lower the motor, have the helper untie the safety line from the stern rail.

Life jackets as dinghy protection is a good idea. It doesn't sound like there's much for the helper to do, but who knows--I just might have overlooked something! One person alone in a situation like this can get into a very difficult position that wasn't predicted...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/29/2018 14:06:43
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page