Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Non-Skid Stain
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rlrobian
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/05/2018 :  03:08:57  Show Profile
Folks I need some help/advice. My 78 Catalina 25 is showing red in the forward non-skid sections of the deck. I've repeatedly tried scrubbing with no effect. Is this a primer showing through? I thought it might have been coming from the stain in one of the line? It is only in the non-skid and it seems to be getting larger. It is in both the starboard and port non-skid areas. The boat has only sailed in fresh water. This has been going on for years gradually getting worse.
Thanks
RL - Free Spirit

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2018 :  04:05:46  Show Profile
Yea its definitely underneath. I guess maybe worn away gel coat or something. Will need to put a coating over that. Though pictures would be helpful.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053

Edited by - DavidBuoy on 06/05/2018 04:06:16
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2018 :  04:42:08  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
mine is light grey and starting to show tan. I guess PO had painted it. looks like repaint is in the works for this summer.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2018 :  08:30:03  Show Profile
I too have a brown bleed through from worn gel coat showing under my tan non skid which is pretty worn. While I hate to paint, I am considering applying Kiwigrip on the nonskid. Any thoughts?

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2018 :  11:26:27  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
i thought about kiwi grip. it forms ridges using the special roller. i wonder how that would work over the molded in non-skid.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2018 :  12:32:44  Show Profile
Most boat repair people find a section of nonskid that still has “tooth” and they make a mold of the nonskid using plaster of Paris. Once you have a mold, you can use it to replace the gelcoat and use the mold to print the gelcoat. Or you could just repaint with two part polyurethane paint.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2018 :  14:35:31  Show Profile
Over A year now and my kiwi grip is holding up great. The pressure you use on the roller dictates how rough and tall the peaks will be. Be mindful of this in area where you may rest an arm on like in the cockpit. It also does not seal a deck make sure you have the deck watertight and a good primer under the kiwi grip. The primer is optional from what I read but I did it just to give the kiwi a good base. Great stuff.
Go to Top of Page

rlrobian
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2018 :  18:14:45  Show Profile
Guys thanks for all the help and suggestions. I just talked to Catalina Direct and they confirmed your diagnosis. The Gel coat is wearing off and the primer, red was a color used during my production year, is showing through and I will need to re-coat the non-skid area. Their suggestion is the Kiwi Grip, so it looks like I will be applying it in a couple of weeks.
Thanks again,
RL

Edited by - rlrobian on 06/05/2018 18:17:26
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page