Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Rainy days & Mondays ...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/18/2018 :  13:37:50  Show Profile
Wow! Not to plagiarize the Carpenters but ...
Here on the East Coast, the month of May has been more like April - rain, showers, fog, mist, mud!!! My lawn is loving it but I haven’t been able to go out on Passage, much less work on her, all month!
Last two weekends were mid 50s and wet, and this weekend looks to be shaping up the same.
Mid-Atlantic has seen flooding in the past few days. It’s this pesky stationary blocking pattern that we’ve seen all winter and spring.
And it’s almost Memorial Day, the unofficial start of summer up north.
This Monday it looks like the sun will finally come out. I’m hoping so, winter’s too long and summer is short.
Let’s hope the weather gods have mercy on us mere mortals!!!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2018 :  15:26:59  Show Profile
Yep,It has been just rotten. Takes the wind out of your sail to coin an old phrase.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2018 :  16:32:46  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
I'm usually in the water by the 1st of May. Not this season. Finally finished the work on Peregrine on the 11th then watched this week get washed out.
Working Monday and Tues but will be on her starting Wed. and don't have to get off till Friday eve.
Better late than never.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2018 :  17:44:35  Show Profile
My yard is now saying they will be able to get me in around the second week of June!!!! The back-up of work because of weather is amazing. Unless you are retired and can work in the one or two mid-week days that have had reasonable weather, we are all well behind the curve for a typical season!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT

Edited by - bigelowp on 05/20/2018 05:42:10
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2018 :  19:19:24  Show Profile
Until about two weeks ago we were having a nice cool spring with just enough rain to keep the lawn watered. The last two weeks the rain stopped, it's been almost completely clear almost everyday. Grass is starting to wither and turn yellowish/brown and the ground is as hard as a rock. Temps have been 10 degrees above normal and it's no more than 10% chance of rain for the next 10 days.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2018 :  12:38:40  Show Profile
We raced in the rain last Wednesday, had a race cancelled due to heavy rain yesterday, and today I got an emergency alert on my cellphone of a flash flood, and it was what we used to call a real frog strangler. Enough already!

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2018 :  16:59:50  Show Profile
When it rains hard here my mom says it's a real trash mover and a gully washer.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2018 :  04:29:01  Show Profile
Yesterday, the rain calmed down toward late afternoon just when I went shopping. As I came out of the store it was raining horizontal! I saw a buddy coming in and he said, “April - when’s it ever going to end?!”
My manager works in Seattle. They’ve had nothing but clear, sunny and warm weather since early April! We must’ve done a flip flop.
I hear it’s going to get nice here this coming week. 70s, dew points in the 40s and 50s, sunny with good winds. Maybe a shower or a spritz here and there, but mostly fine. FINALLY!,

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 05/20/2018 06:22:10
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2018 :  04:36:05  Show Profile
Gully washer,.. My mom was a farm girl growing up in Exeter California and my dad grew up in Colorado so I heard Gully washer quite often.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2018 :  05:54:29  Show Profile
One bright spot with all the rain . . . . I was able to spend a light showery day scrubbing and cleaning all the teak with no competition for the few water spigots at the yard, and with no cars parked under or near Limerick -- in fact no people anywhere in sight. Made fast work of a messy project. But now that's completed I must go back to waiting for that illusive window of opportunity.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2018 :  08:35:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Gully washer,.. My mom was a farm girl growing up in Exeter California and my dad grew up in Colorado so I heard Gully washer quite often.

My mom was a farm girl too.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2018 :  17:35:25  Show Profile
Here’s a few international expressions: http://mentalfloss.com/article/12931/15-international-idioms-describe-heavy-rain
So US regional idioms: http://mentalfloss.com/article/80169/11-imaginative-regional-idioms-describe-heavy-rain

I like “It’s rainin’ devils and pitchforks”.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page