Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Thru Hull Sensor Questions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Captmorgan
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/30/2018 :  17:19:00  Show Profile
I have a thru hull sensor. It is for an SR Mariner depth sensor

It hasnt worked and Im wanting to replace it. I know I could go with an in hull sensor but If I go thru hull I get better bottom features and such, and the hole is already there.

Boats on land, I unscrewed the sensor locking nut and it came out easy. Its 1 5/8 Inch in diamter and as a slot in the bottom so it doesn't rotate.

Question: Can I find a current sensor that will fit this. I was looking at a Simrad or Garmin.(Simrad GO7 XSE or Garmin echoMAP CHIRP 93sv I can take it out and reinstall the thru hull but are these sort of standard. can I get one to fit. iy would be easier

I attached pics

"The Gal-Way" 1985 SR/SK Barnegat Bay, NJ

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2018 :  17:25:34  Show Profile
Although the SR Mariner line was discontinued by the manufacturer, they continue to sell inventory on hand. You could find a direct replacement here: https://srinstruments.com/mariner-parts. They are also very helpful in finding the right parts if you call.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 04/30/2018 17:27:15
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2018 :  19:02:20  Show Profile
I assume you're talking about a fish finder since you mentioned bottom features. I think you need to take your sensor and its measurements and go shopping. Don't focus on a brand as much as features you want and your chances of finding what you want will be better. Transducers are similar and often interchangeable, but replacing a very old one with a current model might be difficult. All of the major brands are reliable products with variations in feature sets. I used a to hull on my last boat and had perfectly acceptable bottom, fish, weed, and structure images.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 04/30/2018 19:05:50
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2018 :  19:20:42  Show Profile
Funny thing, my paddlewheel throughull sensor comes with a plug that takes the place of the sensor if I want to clean off the shell. The plug is hollow. It occurred to me that if I could mount a depth sensor inside this plug, the ultrasonic signals would not need to pass through a thick hull bottom. I wonder whether that could work??

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2018 :  19:44:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Funny thing, my paddlewheel throughull sensor comes with a plug that takes the place of the sensor if I want to clean off the shell. The plug is hollow. It occurred to me that if I could mount a depth sensor inside this plug, the ultrasonic signals would not need to pass through a thick hull bottom. I wonder whether that could work??

Sounds like many people get the in hull to work through the fiberglass. I think Im just going to pull it and put in a new one.

Sounds like yours would be easy to try

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

john.adlam
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2018 :  20:55:48  Show Profile
Can anyone recommend a current model that works well through the hull? I recently bought a boat that doesn't have any depth instrument and I'd like to avoid putting a hole in the hull.

John Adlam
1981 C25 "Valley Girl" #2500 SR/WK
1982 C25 "No Stress Express" #3218 SR/SK

Boise, Idaho
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2018 :  04:02:38  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
As was mentioned in an earlier posting, SR Instruments still sells replacement parts and services/reconditions the old meters. I did just that with my SR Mariner knotmeter - It was expensive but like new re-conditioning and supplied with a new transducer. I suspect they provide same service for their fishfinders. If all you need is the transducer, that may not be all that expensive and they probably have the exact same one as what you presently own. I believe SR Instruments is located in Hauppauge , Long Island.

One of the issues with just buying a new transducer from another mfr is that the connecting pins may be different for each mfr. So, take that into consideration if just searching for a compatible transducer.

I have a Humminbird fishfinder that came with an in-hull transducer. I have had it for over 10 years and it works flawlessly. The only difference mentioned in the instruction manual between the in-hull and a thru-hull transducer was that the thru hull could detect depths down to 1000 ft, whereas, the in-hull, shooting the signal thru solid fiberglass could detect depths down to 400 ft. Since it is now over 10 years old, the fishfinder model numbers have changed frequently thru the years and so I can't recommend it since it is not an available model number any longer. The thing is that many of these mfrs bundle their fishfinders with a specific transducer (ie. a Transom mount or thru-hull mount transducer). An in-hull transducer usually has a wide bottom to it which helps in mounting it - I used a glob of a toilet bowl wax ring mtl and that has worked for over 10 years and is so easy to remove if ever it becomes necessary.

If you cannot find a fishfinder that specifically indicates that the transducer can be used for mounting in the hull, recommend call the manufacturer or more than one. Reason being that if you buy a fishfinder that comes with a different style transducer than what you want, you then have to buy from that mfr, one of the accessory transducers to the style you want. if you call the mfr directly, they may be able to point you to a fishfinder model that comes with an in-hull transducer or may be able to custom bundle your order to include the transducer style you want without having to pay the full addl cost of another transducer.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 05/01/2018 04:08:33
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2018 :  05:50:10  Show Profile
John, my Hawkeye D10D depth finder came with a transducer that will shoot through the hull.
See: https://www.leisurepro.com/p-hwkd10/hawkeye-by-norcross-d10d-digital-depth-sounder
The really nice thing about the readout is that I was able to fit it inside the original depth finder metal housing.
I didn’t have to cut a new hole or patch the old one.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

john.adlam
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2018 :  10:00:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

John, my Hawkeye D10D depth finder came with a transducer that will shoot through the hull.
See: https://www.leisurepro.com/p-hwkd10/hawkeye-by-norcross-d10d-digital-depth-sounder
The really nice thing about the readout is that I was able to fit it inside the original depth finder metal housing.
I didn’t have to cut a new hole or patch the old one.

Thanks Bruce. I was looking at the hawkeye. It would definitely make for a clean install, but I'm kind of leaning towards something that has integrated GPS/bottom contour info. I had an older hummingbird unit in my last boat (C22) that used the toilet wax method to shoot through the hull. The contour data worked really well. I wonder if the newer Hummingbird 410210-1 HELIX 5 would work in the same type of installation.

John Adlam
1981 C25 "Valley Girl" #2500 SR/WK
1982 C25 "No Stress Express" #3218 SR/SK

Boise, Idaho
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2018 :  15:52:40  Show Profile
I think its too hard to find a fit. I bought a new seal to put the old one back. I bought a garmin chartplotter today and just bought the 600 W transmount and will install it the crappy way everyone is doing. Toilet wax ring ( get the joke on crappy). I bought a chartplotter I could add too. I can add radar and wind speed etc but will just start with sonar. It was on sale this month for 599

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmin--gpsmap-741xs-multifunction-display-with-u-s-coastal-and-inland-charts-transducer-sold-separately--14014237?mrkgcl=481&mrkgadid=3090701048&cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC%2520-%2520Vendors-_-14014237&product_id=14014237&adpos=1o2&creative=108421554244&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAjwoKDXBRAAEiwA4xnqv0ve3Pa9vWhlbMOhu0mniY6xg-f_Vmn__yRoMdFeAkGxYByOAFK-5hoCy1cQAvD_BwE

Thanks for the advice

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

hbushey
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
29 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2018 :  15:56:49  Show Profile
I got lucky when I went to replace the Standard Horizon knotmeter on my boat. I upgraded the SH instruments with ones from Garmin, which included an Airmar 3 in 1 transducer which reads depth, speed, and temperature. I noticed the cable on the old knotmeter said “Airmar” and saw the the epoxied in transducer tube was very similar to the replacement. Thought “what the heck” and tried inserting the new transducer into the tube. Perfect fit! Saved me from having to grind out the old tube and glass in a new one. Confirmed the compatibility with info from Airmar. Made me pretty happy.

Crossing my fingers for you that SI carries the replacement parts!

Heather and Scott
“Respite”
1989 C-25 TR/WK
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2018 :  18:54:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hbushey

I got lucky when I went to replace the Standard Horizon knotmeter on my boat. I upgraded the SH instruments with ones from Garmin, which included an Airmar 3 in 1 transducer which reads depth, speed, and temperature. I noticed the cable on the old knotmeter said “Airmar” and saw the the epoxied in transducer tube was very similar to the replacement. Thought “what the heck” and tried inserting the new transducer into the tube. Perfect fit! Saved me from having to grind out the old tube and glass in a new one. Confirmed the compatibility with info from Airmar. Made me pretty happy.

Crossing my fingers for you that SI carries the replacement parts!

yeah I know they are winding down. I bought two. they will be here friday.5 bucks

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2018 :  13:44:32  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
Call me paranoid or superstitious, but I prefer to minimize holes in the boat below the waterline when I can. (That swing keel cable arrangement creeps me out enough as it is.)

In my Cat25 I have an ancient fishfinder type depth sonar which I installed many years ago with its transom-type transducer mounted shoot-thru-hull style immersed in water contained in a large PVC cleanout fitting sealed to the inside of the hull under the V-berth. That has worked well, with its 1,200 ft advertised range reduced to 800 ft, bottom structure and fishes displayed.

I recently went through the whole research and selection process again for my latest sailboat. I ended up getting a Lowrance Hook 7 GPS chartplotter/fishfinder with shoot-thru-hull transducer, custom bundled by a cooperative vendor. I was amused to see that the shoot-thru-hull transducer kit worked much like my previous PVC jury rig, cylindrical liquid container sealed to hull, transducer suspended from its lid.

I'm still too early in the familiarization and checkout process to offer a strong opinion of the Hook 7, other than to say these things sure have changed since my previous one!

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2018 :  03:15:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by john.adlam

Can anyone recommend a current model that works well through the hull? I recently bought a boat that doesn't have any depth instrument and I'd like to avoid putting a hole in the hull.

Bravo.

One thing, when installing the in hull, just make sure that you mount it in an area where the fiberglass is solid, and does not have a core of any kind, either wood or foam. You can stick the sensor on with 4200, just so long as there isn't any air gaps in the sealant.

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2018 :  04:44:50  Show Profile
Are there any guidelines to know where the bottom is solid vs cored? Just tap it with a screwdriver handle or something?
I ask because while my depth gauge works mostly, it sometimes goes blank over soft muddy bottoms in bays and harbors.
I used the crappy wax ring method to seat it as well.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 05/03/2018 04:47:50
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page