Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 outboard rattle
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

calden
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/28/2018 :  16:24:04  Show Profile
Greetings sailors!
Last year at end of season I bought a Honda 8 to replace a 1986 Evinrude 9. Used it once last year. Upon getting out again yesterday I recalled that at a low rpm (not the lowest) there is a very loud rattling that seems to come from the tiller. Has anyone else noticed this, if so what have you done about it?

Thanks for any ideas.

Carlos

S/V Mazama
1983 FK SR

Edited by - calden on 04/28/2018 16:25:05

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2018 :  04:30:08  Show Profile
My 9.9 did that occasionally. Just above idle but only at a certain RPM so it wasn't all the time. Usually I just changed the engine speed slightly. I think it was the throttle grip that rattled. On mine the throttle grip was held on with one bolt at the tip. You could remove the grip and grease the tiller under the grip and see if that helps.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2018 :  06:54:43  Show Profile
(Edit - I just re-read the post, this is a new engine?)
My Honda 8 does that too. You could check the tiller pivot bolt and tighten it up.

But there may be a slightly more sinister problem: the long shaft that goes from the crank shaft at the engine head to the bottom unit has several bearings and a balance weight to counteract for a slight imbalance. That counterbalance was apparently not set up correctly at the factory.

This will cause any loose parts to vibrate sympathetically, hence, the tiller rattle.

The shaft rides in a set of bearings.

What can happen is if the shaft runs unbalanced for some period of time, that could begin to wear on the bearings.

As the bearings wear, the imbalance will increase.

You might be able to fix the symptom by lining the inside of the grip with foam tape, but if the motor is still under warranty, check to see whether there’s a factory-authorized service facility in your area. They might be able to correct it.

Or you could adjust engine speed ...

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 04/29/2018 07:04:38
Go to Top of Page

calden
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2018 :  11:10:52  Show Profile
Thanks for the responses!

Yes, a new outboard. Yes, I can slightly alter the speed to get rid of it. I found that by slightly pressing the tiller grip down onto the pulpit rail I can stop it - so pretty sure it's the tiller. Voyager, your suggestion makes sense that some part in the tiller is picking up the general vibration. I do have an authorized service facility nearby, where I bought it, but I'd like to see what I can do first. This is no lightweight puppy to be taking off and hauling around. Maybe the marina right across from me is a Honda facility.

thanks again,
Carlos

S/V Mazama
1983 FK SR
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2018 :  14:33:10  Show Profile
I think I remember a vibration like that--the motor Bruce now owns... I probably chalked it up to a harmonic based on the substantial length and weight of the tiller handle--likely something that could be changed to appear at a different RPM, but probably not totally eliminated, especially with a 2-cylinder 4-stroke motor. (A V-6 Honda like mine is smoother. )

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2018 :  05:36:47  Show Profile
I agree with Dave -- when I was young and had powerboats (1960's-70's), all with two stroke engines and all wood, lapstrake construction, when going at certain low RPM's (different for each of the four boats and two outboards I owned over the time period) the entire boat would vibrate/rattle. I was told then that it was a harmonic vibration and if I changed the throttle just slightly it would go away, which it did. Decades later with four stroke engines I get a similar effect with my Tohatsu on Limerick as well as very occasionally with my 115 Yamaha on my Robalo center console. I suppose, theoretically, if you always ran the engine at that vibrating RPM the screws in the engine mount clamp could begin to loosen, but in reality just change RPM slightly and everything smooths out.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2018 :  09:30:49  Show Profile
I've got the M12 inboard diesel.
When that's running, I get all kinds of sympathetic (or simply pathetic) rattles and vibrations.
Like others, a change in engine speed gets rid of it.

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2018 :  12:34:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by SKS

I've got the M12 inboard diesel.
When that's running, I get all kinds of sympathetic (or simply pathetic) rattles and vibrations.
Like others, a change in engine speed gets rid of it.

I've been on friends' boats with inboards (not C25s). At certain RPMs, the entire boat vibrates unpleasantly.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page