Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 DC Marina Boat Fire
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/08/2018 :  10:28:31  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
We have had some excitement at my marina this morning. The local news has been covering a story of 2 boats that caught fire at James Creek Marina during the morning hours before daylight. Both boats apparently destroyed and presently submerged. Believe they are 2 mid-sized cabin cruisers. There have been various local news stations carrying the story and one photo I saw this morning had firefighters entering the secure gate and I could see from the photo that it was the gate to the "B" dock. My boat is on "C" dock and my finger slip is on the other side of "C" dock, not the side closest to "B" dock finger slips. I am not sure exactly which finger slips were involved but the each dock is fairly long. The marina has capacity for approximately 300 boats on "A' thru "E" docks. The "E" dock is an extension of "D" dock running perpendicular to "D" dock. "E" dock separates the marina from the Anacostia River and kind of closes off the marina to all docks except "A" dock which has the fuel pumps on it's outer end. Right now, the Anacostia River is mostly frozen over due to extremely cold weather that moved in about 2weeks ago. Flow agitators within the marina keeps about 30-40% of the docks free of ice.

I may go down to see what's going on at the marina after work, however, we have a warmer temps moving in and precipitation predicted this afternoon. As a result, ice is expected on the roadways and all are encouraged to leave early today. It is just a question of how quickly it warms up to mid-30s and when the precip starts to fall as to if a real ice condition will exist. if I do not get down there today, then maybe tomorrow. I doubt any damage/smoke concerns regarding my boat based on my location on "C" dock finger slips opposite where the fire occurred. Here is a link to one of the news articles. Fire is under investigation - Definitely ignited fuel onboard the vessel(s) but sometimes fires start from unattended heaters (which are not allowed. Not sure if heaters were onboard these vessels:
https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/2-Boats-in-DC-Marina-Catch-Fire-468284463.html

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 01/09/2018 :  10:06:32  Show Profile
Larry, glad your boat wasn't damaged in the fire. I was just there in DC last week, getting my application for Old Dominion Boat Club ready...

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/09/2018 :  10:58:37  Show Profile
Look at the bright side Larry, Maybe it melted some of the ice.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 01/09/2018 :  19:50:28  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I was at the marina after work today. Some of the ice had broken up but that was by the Fire and Rescue boat that responded. The two boats that were destroyed were not near my boat and on B dock versus C dock where my boat is located.

Some sight - Not much was left of either one and what was left was mostly submerged. Given the condition of the boats, submerged, I do not see how they will be able to determine the cause of the fire ....We shall see if an assessment is made.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page