Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Setting up a trailer for a C25 SK
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LakeFall
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/25/2017 :  09:17:04  Show Profile
I just bought a boat from one of the guys here on the forum. I found a like-new trailer several months ago that was made for another brand of 25' swing keel. How should I go about re-rigging this trailer? Can it be done with the trailer in the water and boat floating over it? If so, can someone with a trailered SK give me the dimension from the center of the two axles to the bow stop? That would at least help me get the right weight distribution. Could I also get the dimension from the center of the axles to the keel support crossmember? I suppose I could pay a yard to do this but where is the fun in that?!

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2017 :  10:09:22  Show Profile
On my C-25 fin keel trailer, the swing keel came to rest on top of the rear axle, so I would think that on a swing keel trailer, where the boat is lower to the frame but in a similar position front-to-back, it might be a few inches farther back. Bear in mind, however, that the keel does flair out slightly at the bottom, so more of the keel's weight will be at or behind the rear axle, so you do not want it to be too far back. Check the photo galleries for pictures of a swing keel on the trailer.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2017 :  10:12:52  Show Profile
I have no answers for you--just want to make sure you're aware (as you probably are) that the keel should be lowered onto the support after the boat is loaded onto the trailer. The hull should never be supported by the swing keel. So the keel support should be positioned so as the boat is loaded, the raised keel doesn't contact it. Just checking--this can be "life-or-death" for a swing-keeler.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/25/2017 10:17:01
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2017 :  10:31:40  Show Profile
You did not mention whether the trailer has rollers or bunks. That might make a difference. In another picture that I saw in the gallery, the front of the swing keel was about a foot in front of the forward axle. You need to remember also that the keel weighs about 1,500 lbs.
Make sure the bow is snug into the bow stop and the keel is at least 3" above the keel support board before you start to lower it.
I had pads on my trailer and found it necessary to secure the middle of a 3/8" x 50' line to the winch stand, run each half back to the genoa winches and winch them very tight to keep the boat from sliding backward as we came out of the water. It did help and took some of the load off of the bow eye.
Good luck with your project.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

LakeFall
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2017 :  10:40:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dmpilc

You did not mention whether the trailer has rollers or bunks. That might make a difference. In another picture that I saw in the gallery, the front of the swing keel was about a foot in front of the forward axle. You need to remember also that the keel weighs about 1,500 lbs.
Make sure the bow is snug into the bow stop and the keel is at least 3" above the keel support board before you start to lower it.
I had pads on my trailer and found it necessary to secure the middle of a 3/8" x 50' line to the winch stand, run each half back to the genoa winches and winch them very tight to keep the boat from sliding backward as we came out of the water. It did help and took some of the load off of the bow eye.
Good luck with your project.

It is a bunk trailer. Im not sure what the "curve" of the bunks should be. I guess the higher the bunk the better (to keep weight of hull off keel).
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2017 :  11:07:21  Show Profile
My trailer was made by Loadmaster for a C25. I measure 157 inches from the bow eye to the center of front axle. I don't rely on the bow eye to hold the boat. I use a 2 inch strap across the bow and rear to hold the boat and stiffen the trailer. Tows very well. I trailer it from Michigan to Cape Coral, Fl. every year. Float on bunks and keel drops about an inch after loaded. Wish it was little more but works as is. Hope this helps.

Wes

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

LakeFall
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2017 :  11:38:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by WesAllen

My trailer was made by Loadmaster for a C25. I measure 157 inches from the bow eye to the center of front axle. I don't rely on the bow eye to hold the boat. I use a 2 inch strap across the bow and rear to hold the boat and stiffen the trailer. Tows very well. I trailer it from Michigan to Cape Coral, Fl. every year. Float on bunks and keel drops about an inch after loaded. Wish it was little more but works as is. Hope this helps.

Wes

This is extremely helpful, thank you. Would you also be able to tell me the dimension behind the center of the axles to the end of the bunk? I have 64" and not sure if that is enough support.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2017 :  12:37:42  Show Profile
Best way is to have the boat in slings. Then the boat can be lowered or lifted as needed to make your adjustments to the bunks etc. Avoids headaches and costly mistakes.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2017 :  19:45:05  Show Profile

I will try and get a picture with some measurements for you.

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2017 :  12:49:05  Show Profile
The crossmember support was immediately aft of the rear axle on my old trailer. A variety of other trailer pics are in my Pearl's Bits and Pieces album, but no dimensions.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 10/26/2017 12:55:35
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2017 :  12:28:00  Show Profile
Here are some pics of my bunks. Just tell me where to measure.

Click to View Full Sized Image

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 11/10/2017 :  18:25:32  Show Profile
I know this is slightly different, but I bought a what ever trailer for my fin keel .. it was highly adjustable and i made it work. It took a lot of trips in and out of the ramp with micro adjustments and great success. It is heavily marked for future use. Available for future use.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page