Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Trailer or Sail
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mgarner
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/05/2017 :  11:58:40  Show Profile
I just purchased my boat last weekend and it currently resides in Fernandina Beach, FL. in 4-5 months when a slip opens up at my preferred marina here in Charleston I would like to get it moved up here. Just trying to get some thoughts about either having it commercially hauled by trailer (the boat did not come with one) or bringing it up the ICW (245nm) myself and crew. I appreciate any thoughts or input.

Marty Garner
"Midwatch" 1985 C25 4869 TR/FK

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2017 :  13:29:20  Show Profile
If you have the time to make the trip by water, and if you have a reliable motor, by all means do it. It will be an adventure that you'll not regret. You could do it leisurely at 25 miles per day, in ten days, stopping in time to relax, freshen up, and enjoy dinner in a nice restaurant.

A bimini would be very helpful by providing shade. On a long sail, I wear long sleeved shirts and long pants for sun protection, and a tilly hat. Then you only need sunscreen on your face, neck and ears, and perhaps the back of your hands.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2017 :  16:07:13  Show Profile
Keep in mind that most sailboats that have a destination end up mostly motoring unless you get lucky with the wind and wind direction. I second the very reliable motor.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2017 :  07:41:23  Show Profile
Wow, Just realized that your new to you boat is directly in the path of Irma

Go to Top of Page

mgarner
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2017 :  11:10:29  Show Profile
Yes it is, thank goodness for insurance that went into affect on Sept 1st.

Marty Garner

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2017 :  14:29:42  Show Profile
Much of the ICW makes motoring necessary--finding and staying in the channel is often challenging enough without worrying about points of sail, and the boat and barge traffic in general isn't amenable to tacking or giving way to people who do it when everyone is trying to stay in the "movable" channel.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2017 :  14:54:54  Show Profile
Marty, Take photos of the boat including all the prep for the insurance Co. Sometimes you have to show them that you took precautions. Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

mgarner
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2017 :  07:55:23  Show Profile
I will, thanks for the suggestion.

Marty Garner

Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2017 :  08:09:58  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Much of the ICW makes motoring necessary

some of it might come under the narrow channel rule.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/10/2017 :  11:09:43  Show Profile
Wonder how many people wished they had trailers during Harvey and now Irma?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/10/2017 :  17:54:30  Show Profile
Ya, some friends of mine stored their C-30 at home on a trailer--had it professionally hauled to them. A winter storm took a tree down, and......

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2017 :  06:49:10  Show Profile
Marty,
Now that the storm has mainly passed, have you heard how she looks? I hope all is well.

There are definite pluses and minuses to traveling in the ICW. The good news is that for many segments you get to choose whether to go inside or outside. Inside, you'll mostly be motorsailing, but if you choose to go outside, you can sail. Things to consider outside are:
> what are conditions like in the inlet?
> what are wind and sea conditions like outside on the Atlantic?
> how far to the next port or marina?
> what does the weather forecast say?

Inlets facing the ocean can be very tricky depending on tidal currents versus wind. Last week I was sailing with a friend and wind versus current made wave conditions about 2-3X worse in the inlet than on either side.

The good news is you can decide en route.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

mgarner
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2017 :  11:07:38  Show Profile
I am still up in Charleston and the boat is in Florida. My brother-in-law lived about five minuted from the boat but has not been able to get over there since Saturday. They have lost power and have trees and power lines down, so it might be awhile till he can get over there.

I want to thank all for the trip suggestions and the well wishes< i will let you know how she fared.

Marty Garner

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2017 :  12:33:26  Show Profile
After Sandy it took 4 days to clear the roads up to my Marina. With out power meant no traffic lights so every intersection was a free for all. I fully expected that the boat was going to be in a pile of other boats. To my surprise there it was sitting in her slip just as I had left her. Happiest day of my life. The only damage was to flooding of the buildings and 4 boats that had been hauled and had fallen of their stands. Storm Surge had jumped the bulkheads and flooded the area so the stands sunk in the dirt. The marina crew kept the docks from jumping over the poles thruout the storm. My hats off to those guys. Crossing my fingers that you have the same luck.

Edited by - islander on 09/11/2017 14:20:21
Go to Top of Page

mgarner
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2017 :  06:19:20  Show Profile
Just wanted to let everyone know, my brother-in-law and his wife are fine, they lost power for three days and the boat survived without a scratch.

Marty Garner

Go to Top of Page

oldengineer1949
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
75 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2017 :  09:05:39  Show Profile
Whoa, awesome! Prayers for those not so fortunate as you.

Al and Bernadette, "Pualani Nui", '82 C25 SR/SK, homeport MCB Quantico
Go to Top of Page

Good Times
1st Mate

Members Avatar

45 Posts

Response Posted - 09/14/2017 :  05:50:38  Show Profile
Glad your boat is ok. The folks across the river in St Mary's were not so lucky:
http://www.ajc.com/news/local/marys-irma-sinks-boats-and-docks-sending-styrofoam-into-roads/gJagxaXINsquAwjlZLYSMO/

I live part time in St.Simons, up the ICW from Fernandina Beach and have traveled this part of the ICW several times as well as the outside route.
You must have good charts, the GA section of the ICW has several known trouble spots regarding shoaling and other hazards; shoals also extend to the outside away from the coast for several miles in parts; they all can be dealt with if known. May I suggest the active captain app or the cruisersnet.net website to read up on those.

several sections are an easy day trip on the outside apart, weather permitting of course. Fernandina Beach/St Mary's to St.Simons is one of them, both have excellent, deep, well marked channels and you can practically hug the coast (you still need charts there)

Hilton Head to Charlston is a similar short 'hop'; St Simons to Savannah / Hilton Head would be a longer stretch on the outside, longer than a day sail for sure; do not consider using any of the other inlets, they require local knowledge and with IRMA re-arranging things on and off shore I'd be double careful.

with a new boat and new (to me) engine I would be hesitant to do this trip without the towing insurance from either boat-US or tow-boat (prevalent in that area); I would look around your area or in F.B for a trailer to borrow and haul it up I-95.
Good Luck, whatever you choose.

Andy Kohler

C25 #6012 TR WK
traditional layout

16ft Hobie Cat
23.5 Hunter
Go to Top of Page

mgarner
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Response Posted - 09/14/2017 :  13:04:10  Show Profile
Good Times,

Thanks for the info. I do have tow insurance through BoatUS.

Does anyone know of a trailer for a FK that can be rented in the SC,GA, Northern FL area?

Marty Garner

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/14/2017 :  13:42:36  Show Profile
You could talk to some boat dealers down there about possible rides from haulers that have delivered boats to them. Any kind of revenue on the return might be preferable to a "deadhead."

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Good Times
1st Mate

Members Avatar

45 Posts

Response Posted - 09/14/2017 :  18:47:33  Show Profile
contact Dunbar Yachts in St.Simons (912) 638-8573 they are the Catalina dealer for GA and SC, they may know of a hauler.
or
walk the marinas in your area, look for a C25 or similar and start chatting- not all owners are members here; there are trailers out there; the 'fin-keel' part is the tough one.

Andy Kohler

C25 #6012 TR WK
traditional layout

16ft Hobie Cat
23.5 Hunter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page