Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 9.8 Tohatsu does electric start = alternator?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmczzz
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
92 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/26/2017 :  13:45:25  Show Profile
I bought a used 2012 9.8 Tohatsu with electric start to replace my 6 HP Tohatsu. I leaped before I looked. Does the electric start also mean it has some type of alternator / magneto to recharge the battery?
If not how do I tell if it has battery recharge capibility?
There are only two wires coming from the motor, one red one black.
How do I hook it to a battery switch? I have a seperate house battery. Is it possible to charge both batteries? (if the motor has charging capacity).
thanks, jmczzz

1978 C25 SK SR # 808

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2017 :  13:59:46  Show Profile
Yes, if there's electric start, there's an alternator (6 amp on the Tohatsu). The same wires work both ways (in opposite directions to start and to charge).

You want a 1-All-2-OFF rotary switch, which will have a diagram for what to hook to where. If you want to save battery #1 for house duty, turn to 2 to start the motor and then to ALL while it's running, so it's charging both. (Yes, you can do that as long as you don't turn the dial through OFF, which can harm the charging system.) Then, if you want to save #2 for starting while using the house battery, switch to 1. But given that you have a pull starter in case you run low on both batteries, I'd say you can leave the switch on ALL for all purposes, and OFF when you're not using the boat.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

jmczzz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
92 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2017 :  14:18:46  Show Profile
thank you. I did get a rotory switch as you describe and a 50 amp circult breaker that mounts on the house positive battery post. Do I need an additional circult breaker on the crank battery.
thanks for the quick response. jmc

1978 C25 SK SR # 808

Edited by - jmczzz on 08/26/2017 15:18:22
Go to Top of Page

jmczzz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
92 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2017 :  14:23:16  Show Profile
the switch instructions say red goes to the switch common post. switch bat 1 to pos bat 1,switch bat 2 to pos bat 2. so does the black connect to a common ground with both neg post on both batteries?
thanks. jmc

1978 C25 SK SR # 808

Edited by - jmczzz on 08/26/2017 15:16:22
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2017 :  15:26:17  Show Profile
Congrats on the engine. Electric start is nice.
Each battery should have its own fuse.
You've chosen an electromechanical circuit breaker which seems equivalent to a fuse, but since it's in a marine environment, is subject to corrosion and failure such that it may not open and cut power in the case of a short circuit.
Fuses are more reliable than circuit breakers since there are no mechanical parts to rust.
Typically on a boat, all negative wires are connected together without a switch. Some people refer to a negative "ground", but it's not grounded, just common.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

jmczzz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
92 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2017 :  15:36:26  Show Profile
thanks for that info. I got the motor hooked up and pushed the button and varoom it started right up. how nice! the votage at the battery was 12.42 before starting after 13.41 so all seems well to me. thanks for the help you guys. jmc

1978 C25 SK SR # 808
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2017 :  06:48:57  Show Profile
I have the same engine (07) and it works great and is dependable. As it's used you should check the carb to make sure it does not have gunk build up. As I use mine so infrequently (<75 hrs over 10 years) that has been the only issue I have had. It starts easily -- pull rope or electric. As Tohatsu dealers are not as plentiful, any Mercury dealer can handle service/parts as the Merc & Nissan are built by Tohatsu

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

jmczzz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
92 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2017 :  07:23:27  Show Profile
I'm pleased with mine. 25" shaft, 4 blade high thrust prop, compression just a few lbs from new spec. checked out and serviced by one of the best mechanics i've known. ITG Marine Dickerson TENN 37055 615-375-1837,Steve. just east of the Tenn River.
thanks jmc

1978 C25 SK SR # 808
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2017 :  10:59:07  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
In any conversation about a switch between the battery(ies) and the motor/alternator, it should be pointed out that disconnecting or connecting the motor/alternator from/to the battery while the motor is running might damage the rectifier diodes. A lot has been written on other boards about this. Some people claim that they do, or have done it, without damage, but the consensus is that it's not a good thing to do. As I read it, there can be a spike applied to the diodes that can fry them. I have a hunch that this may be obsolete advice, and that present-day units might have overload protection built into them, but the issue still seems to generate (no pun intended) strong advice to avoid doing this. Just a word of caution.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2017 :  11:28:57  Show Profile
Agreed on not disconnecting while running--no point in risking damage to the charging circuit. The rotary switch will only do that in the OFF position. Switching between 1, Both, and 2 supposedly keeps a continuous connection with the motor--each new connection is made before the prior one is broken.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

jmczzz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
92 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2017 :  11:57:16  Show Profile
thanks to all respondents. This Forum and the people on it have really been helpful to rescue me from this and many other questions.
thank you Sailors, jmc

1978 C25 SK SR # 808
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page