Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Keel Winch brake
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

twinws
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/26/2017 :  10:23:11  Show Profile  Visit twinws's Homepage
The keel winch brake quit working today. Previously when bringing the keel up there was a clicking noise. Now no noise and no brake, the cable is being pulled down by the weight of the keel. To keep the keel from falling we have the handle wedge in by the stairs, not an ideal sailing configuration.

Is there a way to turn the brake back on? I didn't see any levers.

Thank you,
Warren

Life is simple, just add water!

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2017 :  17:14:36  Show Profile
Replace the winch. Somebody, probably Past Member, posted the Fulton winch part number a long time ago or CD might have it. I'll see if I can find it.

edit
Nope, search results don't display for me. They haven't for several years, two OS's, and a new computer. Blocking popups, ads and cookies is off and I gave up any real interest if fixing it after several additional weeks of intermittent interventions after upgrading to OSX El Capitan. It still doesn't work on my computer with Sierra, Safari 10.1.2 on a MB Pro 13", I7 2.5 Ghz, 16 G ram if anyone has a suggestion.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 08/26/2017 17:35:50
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2017 :  18:26:39  Show Profile
Here you go.
https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/558_108/keel-winch-c-25.cfm

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

twinws
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2017 :  16:00:47  Show Profile  Visit twinws's Homepage
Thank you. Is the company Fulton? This has happened on a different Cat-25 I owned and someone told me to turn the handle certain way and the clicking brake was switched back on.

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2017 :  04:28:38  Show Profile
Yes it's a Fulton. If you go to the link I gave you for the winch, Down at the bottom click on Keel winch instructions. More info there with numbers you can call. If you don't hear any clicking my guess is the Ratchet Pawl is stuck or broken and is not engaging the gear teeth.The clutches could be stuck also. In those instructions they show how to lubricate the winch. If this has never been done then I would guess that rust or corrosion is the problem.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 08/28/2017 05:54:31
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2017 :  10:35:46  Show Profile
I just replaced the winch. It takes about 2 hours. Do yourself the favor and also replace the lifting cable if you haven't done that in a few years, as well as the turning ball, and the rubber hose and hose clamps. Your signature doesn't indicate the age of your boat, but all this is regular maintenance for us swingers...Of course, you'll need to haul the boat.

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

twinws
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2017 :  18:26:56  Show Profile  Visit twinws's Homepage
We just replaced the cable. There was submerged debris in the channel and the keel hit it. The weight of the keel swinging back popped the cable.So the cable is new. Thank you for your help I post results.

Best,
Warren

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page