Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Way To Go...DC Harbor Police
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/21/2017 :  09:20:14  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I sail a lot and anyone that does sees all kinds of courtesy and the reverse while boating. Both by motorboats and sailboats. Motorboats that do not give right of way to sailboats and sailboats that seem to think that they have right of way over large commercial sightseeing boats.

I was on a typical day sail last Saturday on the upper Potomac River. I was sailing and on a tack to enter the Washington Channel/Anacostia River to go back to my Marina. There was some boat traffic in the Potomac River as I was heading in and I was already past the channel markers about to come round the corner around Hains Point. A motorboat was coming North, speeding parallel with the Potomac River channel markers but was outside the markers closer to Hains Point and if I did not alter my course, he would have come close to my starboard side or...worse. But seeing this eventuality and he not turning his wheel just 2" to get back into the channel and avoid me, I changed my tack to run south and parallel to the channel markers. Okay...not a big deal but I was already thinking if the DC Harbor Police or the USCG had seen this, they would probably have pulled him over...or at least that i what I would like to think would happen.
Most times, no issues on the water - Everyone just having a good time and safely !

So, I then enter the Anacostia River and soon going to head into the wind and take down my main sail. However, as I am heading to my marina and eventually going to sail just past it, I am heading closer to the marina side of the Anacostia River. One of those deck/pontoon boats comes speeding along the Anacostia heading toward the Potomac. he is very close to the Marina rather than more into the center of the river and he is on a course that will intersect mine as I am heading closer to my marina. So, he is not only speeding along in a no wake zone (white markers) but very close to the marina and I am already past the entry to my marina which is where I was going to continue to sail so that I would take my sail down way past the entry. But he is coming upon me fast and not slowing - he's talking to about 5 others on his boat as he is creating waves. I alter my course, (second time again for same reason) going parallel with the Anacostia. He passes me , no problem, since I altered course and he proceeds to speed pass the marina. Then I hear the DC Harbor Police and they are speaking to him with their bull horn. Not sure what was said but they boarded him. I took down my sail, and with motor on, entered my marina. he was still tied to the DC Harbor Police boat. I figure for that long a time, he was probably getting a ticket for speeding in a no wake zone or failure to yield to a sailboat or maybe for both reasons !!

I normally see the USCG board boats but this was one of the rare times I saw the DC Harbor Police pull someone alongside.

I am heading down to Norfolk, VA on a business trip, but I will try and check in when I can. Glad I was able to get out for a sail on Saturday !

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2017 :  03:41:45  Show Profile
Yep...ignorant boat operators, there are plenty of them. Glad the waterborne police pulled one over, would like to see more of that sometimes.

I agree Larry, it's usually normally easier on your boat and wallet to tack, jib, or alter course than peruse your right of way privileges.

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page