Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Leaking Fresh Water Tank Vent
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Member Avatar

814 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/18/2017 :  16:59:23  Show Profile
I finally found my topsides leak - the fresh water tank vent, which has been disconnected for a couple of years since I removed the fresh water plumbing. When it rains, water drips through this vent.

Should water be able to go through this vent or is it faulty? If this is normal, and you're sailing with saltwater over the bow, how do you prevent saltwater from contaminating your fresh water tank?

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2017 :  18:18:15  Show Profile
The vent although not ideally located on the deck needs to breathe both directions. They are made to minimize water intrusion. If I was looking to actually drink that water and I hope nobody does, I would run the vent hose up inside a stanchion. I call that water potable but not drinkable and is used to rinse off after a swim or rinse the cockpit floor but drink it? No way.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2017 :  21:20:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

...I call that water potable but not drinkable...
Potable means drinkable. I call my fresh water supply "non-potable."

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/18/2017 21:21:24
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2017 :  04:00:23  Show Profile
Lol, Ok so maybe I need a new name for that type of water. It's on the level of pool water or lake water yet it's not grey water that 'Non Potable includes,You can swim in it but you really don't want to drink it. I think that cruisers who do need to drink tank water probably take precautions against contamination with tablets or some sort of purification system.

Edited by - islander on 07/19/2017 04:31:39
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2017 :  06:49:54  Show Profile
I don't use the tank for any purpose so I cleaned it out a few years back and it's dry. Rain water doesn't seem like a problem. It goes a lot of other places but not there. I bought a 5 gallon Coleman water jug for drinking water. I take it home, wash it out and replace the water every two weeks in the summer. For hand washing and such I've got some plastic milk jugs that fit snugly behind the porta potty. Sadly, no matter what I do I can't keep the holding tank water "fresh" and odor free, even for hand washing.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2017 :  08:11:22  Show Profile
My freshwater tank is removed and I plugged the vent. I found the vent on the holding tank was filling the holding tank when it rained. I bought a new one from Catalina direct and added an additional gasket to make it seat a little higher on the deck and it fixed the problem with normal rain amounts...

Whoops... I deleted my back flow check valve suggestion lest somebody gets confused, like me... Yep Islander, it needs to vent both ways ...

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 07/26/2017 03:42:06
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2017 :  08:41:40  Show Profile
Back flow preventer? The tank needs to breathe both ways so it doesn't expand when filled or collapse as you use the water. Raising the vent off the deck sounds like a good option.

Edited by - islander on 07/23/2017 08:43:16
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2017 :  21:33:38  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
I re-routed the water tank overflow to a spout that overhangs the lavy sink. I fill the tank until it overflows at the inlet, but then the level falls as the excess vents into the sink. Prior to routing it to the lavy sink it simply overflowed into the bilges, so it was using the air space under the settee for breathing.

I do use that water for drinking, so it's important to me to prevent contamination. I even clean the deck around the inlet before opening it to fill the tank.

Just another idea for others to consider.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2017 :  21:29:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Lee Panza

I re-routed the water tank overflow to a spout that overhangs the lavy sink. I fill the tank until it overflows at the inlet, but then the level falls as the excess vents into the sink. Prior to routing it to the lavy sink it simply overflowed into the bilges, so it was using the air space under the settee for breathing.

I do use that water for drinking, so it's important to me to prevent contamination. I even clean the deck around the inlet before opening it to fill the tank.

Just another idea for others to consider.

Venting the fresh water tank inside the boat is a great idea. I wonder why they bother with the external vent.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page