Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Photobucket Sucks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2017 :  06:54:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TakeFive

I have literally thousands of photos embedded in message board postings created over the last ~10 years. Like many of you, I used Photobucket for this service. They openly encouraged doing it.

Now every one of those posts is BROKEN thanks to Photobucket.

So it's time for a giant "FU" to Photobucket. I apologize that my many photographed posts are now ruined, littering your message boards. But I'll never have time to go back and edit all of them.

That is what happened to me when Apple shut down their hosting, ALL of my pictures disappeared. The pittance of photos I have uploaded here do not fix all the broken links. Irksome.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2017 :  04:14:30  Show Profile
Well they finally got around to me too..........

Over ten years of posts on the Association Forum with hundreds of pictures of repairs, upgrades and places we've sailed to, gone........

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay

Edited by - Davy J on 07/13/2017 04:15:17
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2017 :  07:38:53  Show Profile
Did Photobucket give you any advanced notice--like a notice of a change in the Terms of Service, highlighting the limit on access? I wonder if the FTC or FCC should hear that Photobucket has lured customers into storing valuable information where they can use it, and then without advanced notice, locked it up with a ransom note?? How different is this from the "ransom-ware" scourge?

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2017 :  07:52:05  Show Profile
My links broke on June 28. I immediately looked up the terms of use, and they had changed that day.

On July 11 I received an email from them with the subject "Some features on your account will be disabled." The whole message was written in future tense, as if they were giving me advance notice. But the message came two weeks AFTER they replaced all my photos with their ransom note avatar.

No way Photobucket is going to survive this. Who would pay $400, up-front, for a service that looks like it will disappear into the trash heap of failed dot-coms?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2017 :  08:15:06  Show Profile
quote:
No way Photobucket is going to survive this. Who would pay $400, up-front, for a service that looks like it will disappear into the trash heap of failed dot-coms?

There is no way they survive this. On many of the other forums I visit, most people are switching to imgur, flickr or other hosts. With all the informative forums out there that have photos and information linked to PB, this disaster will make the history books......

Off to change my signature profile to get rid of their ransom pics....

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2017 :  08:23:35  Show Profile
For $5/month, they would survive and create a nice revenue stream. For $400 a year, NO WAY, especially when they want it all up front to unlock the hostages photos.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2017 :  08:32:23  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
do we have shell access on our site? if we can get the photos off photobucket and host them in a directory locally; it would be trivial to write a url rewrite rule. this is of course if the webserver supports it. or even write a script to change all linstances of photobucket to http://catalina-capri-25s.org/photobucket.

will photobucket let you retrieve your photos?

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2017 :  08:45:44  Show Profile
quote:
will photobucket let you retrieve your photos?

I haven't tried to download any of my photos yet, but what I've been reading is that so many people are trying to do that, that the site is slower than molasses...

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2017 :  05:12:28  Show Profile
As soon as I saw something about this I immediately went to the site and I couldn't find any photos until I dug around using some links and found them. I downloaded everything. It did take a while. I'm thinking after some disputing that they will return to somewhat normal use. We'll see.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2017 :  14:34:50  Show Profile
Not to place expectations but I wonder if our webmaster can suggest a solution. He created an awesome photo hosting site which many commercial companies would love... What I've read in the posts so far is that PB is not allowing other sites to fetch a picture using a weblink. Does that also mean that individuals cannot download their own photos to their PC or a storage location, then post a subset collection on the C25 Forum's picture pages? I'm not suggesting that people post all their unrelated photos from forever ago here, but just their Catalina/Capri 25/250 related materials...

For those who are PB customers, is there a customer service page or blog you can post to?, or has it been completely swamped by unhappy customers?

I checked on Glassdoor.com about internal employee ratings on working there and I found the following quote: "...leadership was always chasing direction or idea on what we were to focus on. Felt like we produced a bunch of half baked ideas because management would continually change mid stream and add new functionality or change directions all together. Because of this it felt like we were two steps behind our competition, which is frustrating...."

Maybe this is one of those ill-conceived brilliant ideas?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2017 :  03:54:17  Show Profile
Going forward people could just use the forum photo gallery. However the problem is past posts. This thread I created showing the removal and replacement of the portlights and the method I used to hold them in place:

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=23031

To fix it, I would have to edit every photo in the thread.....

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page