Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Anchor Locker Weatherstripping??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/09/2017 :  07:49:06  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
Hi all.

I got my boat about a month ago and have been slowly going through fixing and improving things.

The anchor locker latch was missing, so I replaced it the other day. While I was replacing it I noticed a possible cause for why the old latch disappeared - the anchor locker does not sit flush with the deck! The only thing holding it flush with the deck is the latch itself, otherwise it would sink about 3/16" or so below the deck. So if you step on the locker you put a ton of strain on that latch.

I noticed the locker has a layer of thick weatherstripping that MAY relieve some of the stress on the latch, but what's the point of weatherstripping a locker that's not made to be waterproof? Mildew has been growing on the underside of the lid of the locker and I suspect it's because the weatherstripping is preventing adequate airflow to dry out the compartment. The drain hole is clear and drains fine, but the anchor rode can hold some moisture.

What do y'all think? Remove the weatherstripping and add a shim around the lip of the locker to keep the pressure of the latch when you step on it?

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2017 :  10:50:21  Show Profile
Mine sits the same as yours. I do not have any weather stripping. I also don't have the latch. I do have the ring part of the latch still attached to the cover that I tied a small short piece of line to it with a knot in the end. Grab the knot to open the locker. With the latch gone the cover sits down slightly below the deck but is supported and you can stand on it. To me it works that way and wasn't worth messing around with. I think if you try to make it level you might be opening up a can of worms.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 05/09/2017 10:57:59
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2017 :  11:31:23  Show Profile
I removed the weather stripping and put 4 rubber bumpers stops (from Home Depot) so that the cover will conform to the deck better, especially when it gets walked on. I put them closer to center of the opening(not port and starboard) thus holding the shape that looks right to me. I think that it dries faster now also. It looks better when latched now.

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

Phredde
Navigator

Members Avatar

125 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2017 :  14:18:19  Show Profile
Mine is the same way. I learned that by stepping on the hatch one too many times and it broke the latch. I got a replacement latch from CD, replaced the weather stripping to help even it out, and now I try to avoid any weight on the hatch. But that bumper idea sounds better.

Phredde
Catalina 25
San Francisco
Go to Top of Page

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2017 :  08:40:18  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
Thanks y'all.

I think I'm going to remove the weatherstripping and add the bumpers recommended by WesAllen. I also probably will not leave the latch locked in case someone steps right by the latch.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2017 :  11:11:27  Show Profile
I don't see any purpose other than an attempt to keep bugs from making a home in the locker for weatherstripping. It's an area where you want air circulation.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page