Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Swap Meet
 Catalina 25 Pastic Crib Boards
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/28/2017 :  09:00:11  Show Profile
So I am having trouble finding the plastic Crib boards for a C25. Also, when looking at Catalina Direct, they have different versions. My old crib boards are broken, and I don't want to spent $500 for teak ones. Has anyone figured this out?

Peter Powers
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2017 :  11:55:15  Show Profile
Hi Peter,

Do you have all of the pieces of your crib boards? If so, you might consider getting a professional woodworker to glue them together, and then you can refinish them yourself.

I did that many years ago. I don't remember what it cost, but it was very reasonable. I found an old photo I took when I brought my boat home. Take a look at my companionway ... 'pretty sad ...

I couldn't find a photo of my crib boards installed, but I did find this one. You can tell they cleaned up pretty well ...

I'm not sure where you might be able to buy plastic crib boards. I do know that a lot of the crib boards have varying dimensions, so you would likely need to do some careful measuring of your old crib boards, and/or the companionway dimensions to get them to fit right.

'Hope you get them fixed/replaced ... good luck!

Buzz Maring

~~Freya~~
C-25 SK/SR #68
Lake Dallas, TX
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2017 :  14:21:29  Show Profile
Thanks Buzz.

Peter Powers
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2017 :  18:01:09  Show Profile
Not sure how handy you are with woodworking, but the crib boards are very simply made. Each one consists of two boards that butt one another, and two tongue and groove edges. Instead tongue and groove, you could just overlap the edge pieces. You'd probably need 16-18 board feet of teak or mahogany, 8" wide and about 5/4" thick. You could also use red oak if you weren't picky. Or you can find a carpenter to construct it.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2017 :  06:46:26  Show Profile
I made my new crib boards for a material called PLASTEAK. They look good and are maintenance free
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2017 :  12:59:48  Show Profile

I had some 1/4 inch lexan left from my window project. It works for me I have plenty of room to store it in the boat underway. I don't have any heavy weather concerns where I sail.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2017 :  14:15:32  Show Profile
Ooh, I like that smoked Lexan. Gives it a little more modern look while still providing privacy and light. I'm guessing it's one piece.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 04/01/2017 :  10:40:33  Show Profile
When I first got my boat one of the crib boards looked like yours. I was about to replace them but in a last ditch effort I decided to go to a local guy who did furniture restoration and boat cabinetry. For $50.00 he rebuilt the problematic crib board and it looked (and still looks) like new. Just saying that you may be able to restore what you have for less money.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2017 :  19:47:47  Show Profile
I can give you dimensions in a couple of days if you want. I made them for my last boat, takes no time at all and can be as 1, 2, or 3 pieces

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2017 :  04:07:23  Show Profile
Thanks Dave but my boards are in excellent condition but if I ever had to replace them I would go that route. I think the size of the boards changed through the years also.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

offshoreaccount
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2017 :  07:22:37  Show Profile
There are 4 different sizes used, so definitely measure and don't rely on someone else's dimensions. I'm in the process of replacing mine, and made a set out of cheap ply first.

Offshore Account, 1977 Hull #243. SR, SK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page