Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Compelling the Impeller
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Member Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/08/2017 :  11:06:52  Show Profile
Fired up the outboard earlier this winter to move from the ramp to the marina and had no indicator stream. Fortunately, opening the throttle bit produced a steady stream and I went to the marina. I ordered an impeller kit (impeller, woodruff key, and rubber connector to the indicator stream tube for $67!) since they don't stock many parts for smaller outboards in this area.
Hoisting the motor off in the slip isn't difficult with an appropriate sling. But somehow, when I pivoted the motor forward to return to an upright position it tilted forward all the way to the fully up, locked position. It hits the transom before that point and I've never been able to reach that position before. Firmly against the transom, i couldn't tilt it and there was to much pressure to manually release the spring. Let me just say that hoisting a nearly horizontal motor of the mount about as much fun as jabbing a pencil into your eye. I did succeed with the help of a burly dock mate and and a half hour of struggle.
Changing the impeller was as easy as advertised. The the motor was on and secured 5 minutes after reassembly, prompting my dock mate to note: "Well, that looked pretty easy."

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2017 :  11:23:53  Show Profile
Sounds like how a typical boat project goes. The teltail can get easily clogged with salt deposits or debris leading you to believe that the impeller failed. I have to clean mine a few times a season with a paper clip inserted in the hole but you can't go wrong with replacing the impeller if it's been awhile.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 03/08/2017 11:27:21
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2017 :  11:30:21  Show Profile
What Scott said. I learned the expensive way, out sailing and time to come in, started the Honda and no stream, shut it down and called for a tow as I couldn't sail into the slip. I found that if I used a paperclip sized wire to probe the small discharge hole I got the water flowing well. I now keep one handy. However it is a good idea to change the impeller during scheduled maintenance.

1998 250WK #331
CILCIA
Steve
Pensacola, FL
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2017 :  17:34:14  Show Profile
Mine was missing one vane and several had cracks, pretty much diagnostic. I have never had a clogged tube. I have to presume the the broken vane was pulverized by the other vanes possibly leading to their damage since there was no debris in the housing and the indicator tube is larger than the cooling pathway.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5239 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2017 :  20:24:08  Show Profile
I believe that impellers die from several causes. If sand gets into the pump, it can wear down the rubber and the steel guides on either side. If the engine doesn't completely drain out fresh water and if the water freezes at the edge of the season, the ice can wreck the impeller. Any time you run the impeller dry, you destroy it. As the impeller ages, it'll disintegrate.
They are made to die - planned obsolescence.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2017 :  17:07:38  Show Profile
The most amazing part is what Mercury charges for a replacement for a wear item.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 03/15/2017 :  16:04:39  Show Profile
Link to an excellent, photo heavy post on changing the impeller:

How to/ Impeller Change ( very pic heavy) - www.ifish.net.pdf

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page