Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Catalina 25 for sale
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Singer
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
5 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/31/2017 :  10:17:51  Show Profile
Need some info from members. I have to sell my Catalina and I'm looking for the best place to advertise ie Craigs list ebay etc. Any feedback would be appreciated.

John Singer #3651

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2017 :  17:40:01  Show Profile
You might put your message in the General area for better exposure.

I sold my C250 in less than a week on Annapolis Craigslist. I'm 2+ hours away from Annapolis, and much closer to Philadelphia, but Annapolis has a lot more sailors. The guy drove up from Baltimore, and sailed the boat 2 days to get her back home. But he knew it was a great boat, so it was worth it to him.

Wherever you are located, I suggest you pick a Craigslist region close to a heavy sailing area. Craigslist has bots that prevent cross-posting into multiple regions.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2017 :  18:38:56  Show Profile
Sailing Texas is where you want to list it. They list sailboats from all over the country.

http://www.sailingtexas.com/

Mine will be listed there in a month or so.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 02/01/2017 18:40:02
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2017 :  21:13:37  Show Profile
The Swap Meet here worked for me--my C-25 sold about 36 hours after I listed it here, because somebody saw it and called somebody else, who contacted me the next day. We met at the boat the morning after, and they wrote me a check on the spot. But SailingTexas is well known, and only looks for a contribution when you sell. Craigslist has worked for many, but tends give you a more geographically limited market.

Best of luck! (Mine, indeed, was luck.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2017 :  21:55:40  Show Profile
To provide some additional detail for my prior post, I took actually took an "all of the above" approach in selling Take Five, listing here in Swap Meet, and on Annapolis.CraigsList, SailingTexas, SailboatListings.com, Sailnet boat sellers' forum, and a paid ad in SpinSheet magazine.

Craigslist yielded two calls within 24 hours. The first caller said he couldn't visit until the weekend. The second caller came the next day and put a deposit on the spot, then sailed her away a few days later (on a Friday, before the weekend). The first caller did call back again after the boat was gone. I got 3 or 4 additional calls and text messages from interested Craigslist buyers over the few days that I was holding the deposit. I was very surprised at the speed of the response. I think that the Annapolis connection was very beneficial for Craigslist.

I got the first inquiry through SailboatListings shortly after the boat sold. I had forgotten to take the ad down.

I don't think I got any inquiries from Sailing Texas. I had forgotten to take that one down too, so it was up for about 2 weeks before I reported it as sold.

SpinSheet refunded my $25 because they had not gone to press.

My revised answer is as follows: There is no reason not to list your boat with all of these sites. You can re-use the text and pictures.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 02/02/2017 21:57:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page