Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Honda outboard problems
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frejoh
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
116 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/10/2016 :  21:20:19  Show Profile
Off and on problems with our 8hp outboard have gotten more frequent. Starts OK, but will cut off at idle speed (as we approach the dock!) or will run very rough, with no power, and a rhythmic, shaking note. (Hard to articulate that last part.)
Any suggestions, besides call a mechanic? Motor is 14 years old, but not a lot of hours on it.

Fred Johnson
250 WK #669

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2016 :  04:50:56  Show Profile
The first and simplest thing I always check is the fuel hose. Look for any tiny crack or split in the hose, especially where there's a hose clamp. I'm always suspicious of the crimped-on hose clamps. Also replace a cracked squeeze bulb. Sometimes the connectors go bad too. If the connector is leaking, replace it. Anything that breaks the siphon between the fuel tank and engine can cause similar symptoms. If you find any cracks at a connection, you can cut off an inch or two of hose to see if that solves the problem. If so, replace the hose.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2016 :  06:36:23  Show Profile
What Steve says could be one of many possibilities. When having engine problems you first have to determine if it's an electrical problem or a fuel problem. Without us actually seeing the motor and preforming a few simple tests we can only guess at what's wrong. You can try cleaning the carb,Checking fuel hoses and cleaning the fuel tank and filter if you have one. For the electrical try pulling a plug wire off when the engine is running rough to see if it changes how it runs. You could have an intermittent no spark on one of the cylinders. You can also wiggle the wireing harness and see if anything changes. These are just some first steps in determining the problem but only cost you some time.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2016 :  07:53:49  Show Profile
I had a similar problem, found a bad spark plug. Thought it was was fuel related but new fuel line, bulb and new fuel didn't fix it. I changed plugs and problem solved.

1998 250WK #331
CILCIA
Steve
Pensacola, FL
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2016 :  10:02:54  Show Profile
Does it seem to run normally at cruising speed, and cut out only when you slow to idle? Besides all that's mentioned above, that could be some microscopic debris in the idle jet of the carb--the smaller of the two jets. But the fuel line and fittings are also strong possibilities, especially if they're of the same vintage as the motor. The slightest leak can cause air to be sucked into the line, even if you don't see gasoline leaking out of it.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/11/2016 10:03:42
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2016 :  11:31:53  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Does it seem to run normally at cruising speed, and cut out only when you slow to idle? Besides all that's mentioned above, that could be some microscopic debris in the idle jet of the carb--the smaller of the two jets. But the fuel line and fittings are also strong possibilities, especially if they're of the same vintage as the motor. The slightest leak can cause air to be sucked into the line, even if you don't see gasoline leaking out of it.

I've experienced this exact problem (running at speed, stumbling at idle). In one case it turned out to be the lines, in the other (which I've had multiple incidents of), there was debris in the low speed jet of the carburetor. This is on a 2008 Tohatsu 9.8, but it's a likely problem in your Honda. I've gotten so good at removing the carburetor, I can do it in about 10 minutes now, and a full (field expedient) cleaning can be done in about 40 minutes, including the removal and reinstall. I'm not sure this is a skill you want to cultivate, but I'm confident I could do this hanging on the hook if I had to (never have, knock wood).

In the first instance I eventually replaced the entire fuel delivery system from the tank through a fuel/water separator, filters, hoses, squeeze bulb, everything. I've switched over to 100% alcohol free gas, and between the two, that seems to have cleared it up.

As an example of the benefits of 100% alcohol free gas, I just pulled my home generator out for it's yearly service. Typically I arm wrestle with trying to pull start it until I get tired of that, and then pull, clean, gap, and reinstall the spark plug, when it'll usually start after a few pulls. This year (after switching to 100% alcohol free gas last year), it started on the first pull. No fiddling, no cleaning, no nothing. I just filled the tank all the way to the top, put it bad in it's spot in the garage, and it's ready to go for the inevitable power outage(s) we'll get this winter. The last time I started the generator was on New Year's Day this year. I was so surprised that it started right up that I had to go tell Rita about it.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page