Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mast support
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bouy
1st Mate

Member Avatar

33 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/27/2016 :  14:59:23  Show Profile
Looking for any ideas for mast support to allow a cover to be placed over the mast and allow working space and protection while working on the deck. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Beginning long overdue work on this 1980 Catalina s/sk. Thanks

81 sksr #1733

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2016 :  15:36:20  Show Profile
Where do you want to be protected, and what do you want to be protected from? Will you be working in the cockpit or on the foredeck? Do you just want shade from the sun, or do you want to keep rain off your work area?

If you only want shade, you can drape a tarp over the boom to shade the area aft of the mast. If you want to shade the foredeck, and, if your mast has a padeye for a spinnaker or whisker pole, then you can rig one end of a 2X4 to the padeye, and lash the other end to the forestay, and then drape a tarp over it. You can use a long pole, such as a telescoping paint roller pole, to hold the tarp's sides out, so you can have air circulation under the tarp. You could do the same to hold out the tarp over the boom.

edit: Ah, I misunderstood. You want to take down the mast and elevate it on some kind of supports, and then cover it. You could build an A-frame to support it at the stern and a similar device at the bow, but I think you might consider leaving the mast up, and rigging covers as I suggested above.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 06/27/2016 17:21:51
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2016 :  19:45:46  Show Profile
X brace (or A frame) fore and aft, vertical 4x4 in mast tabernacle

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 06/27/2016 19:47:20
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2016 :  03:12:44  Show Profile
I built a frame out of PVC pipe and used a silver tarp from Tractor Supply to work under. Boat was on trailer at home which is in a heavily wooded area that helped with protection from wind. It worked OK and lasted the two months I needed to get the work done.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.

Edited by - hewebb on 06/28/2016 03:16:41
Go to Top of Page

MrKawfey
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2016 :  12:00:53  Show Profile
A word of caution: the first winter we had our boat we tarped it like you are looking to do. The snow piled on the tarp and bent the mast until it rested on the cabin top. It didn't take much snow to cause this. The mast had a pretty good permanent bend in it next spring. I was able to flip it over and use a big ratchet strap to reverse the bend. I was surprised how little weight was needed to deflect the mast when only supported on the ends. Now we use a pvc pipe frame.

Chris
Sacandaga Lake, NY
1984 C25 SRSK
"Les's Moor"

Edited by - MrKawfey on 06/28/2016 12:01:39
Go to Top of Page

Jan Briede
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2016 :  12:06:34  Show Profile
Whatever you do watch out for birds wanting to nest in your mast. I had a pair of starlings move into my mast when it was laid up and finally the only way I could get the nest out and rewire the mast was by putting a leaf blower on one side of the mast and blowing it out. It still took some air pressure!

Jan Briede
Beagle
1979 TR #1242 FK
L-Dinette
Yorktown, VA
Blog -- http://vanomad.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2016 :  12:50:36  Show Profile
Yes, definitely cover the open foot. i have 2 2x4's spaced screwed together to fit the tabernacle. I actually have 2 of them, one for supporting during transport with the mast on the fore and aft pulpits and a longer one for working underneath. I have had no problems with snow induced bend using the tabernacle support

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page