Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Out board mount
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

panhead1948
Captain

Member Avatar

345 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/02/2016 :  14:05:43  Show Profile
What length lower unit is everyone running and what holes in the mount are they using? I presently have a Honda wit 23 inch lower unit and the bracket is in the second hole from the bottom.

MrKawfey
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2016 :  15:16:14  Show Profile
Are you referring to the holes where the motor mount is bolted to the transom? I just looked a picture from my boat and there are 3 holes for the upper bolt and 3 for the lower bolt. I am using the middle one and I have a 25" lower unit.

Chris
Sacandaga Lake, NY
1984 C25 SRSK
"Les's Moor"
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2016 :  16:11:58  Show Profile
Well for starters Honda shaft lengths are Short=15" Long=20" XLong=25". I would guess because the true length tend to run long you have a Long shaft(20") like I do. An extra long would be preferred but the long is what came with the boat. My bolts that hold the mount to the transom are in the middle hole of the three holes available for each bolt. I usually run the motor in the lowest setting. In this setting it rarely ever pops out of the water. I will also add that it has never been swamped in the 6yrs that I owned the boat nor did it ever happen to the PO. You can see the bolts in this photo if it helps. PS Those are my added springs to make my 2 springer work like a 3 springer.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2016 :  18:57:46  Show Profile
Scott I checked my owners manual for my 86 Honda and the lower unit is 22.5 inches
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2016 :  20:45:03  Show Profile
15" (S), 20"(L), and 25"(XL) is the "transom height" recommended by Honda for planing boats. Of course, the C-25 is not that... Honda's shaft lengths (top of the mount to the anti-ventilation plate) run about 2.5" longer than the "transom height", so the plate is under the surface on plane in a powerboat. On a 25' sailboat in waters where the boat can be expected to pitch through chop, it's good to have the plate at least 3" below the static waterline. My XL was about 5", while my original L was barely even, and would raise the cooling intake out of the water if I was on the foredeck with the motor running. Deeper is better. I never saw a situation that came close to having either motor "pooped" by a following wave, and they're designed to survive that. I'd put the bracket where the anti-ventilation plate is at least 3" below the static waterline. And for a future purchase (like I made), I'd go extra-long.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page