Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Sliding cushons
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/27/2016 :  17:57:25  Show Profile
Does anyone have a good way of keeping the cockpit cushions from sliding off the seats when heeled over. Even with me sitting on it it still wants to slide off and Im constantly lifting my butt to push them back. The cushions are the standard Catalina vinyl one piece.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

offshoreaccount
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2016 :  21:33:58  Show Profile
Gripper fabric on the bottom?

Offshore Account, 1977 Hull #243. SR, SK
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2016 :  10:36:26  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Scott,

Have you tried or considered velcro with two sided tape ? You can get it in several sizes and cut it into whatever shape suits your needs. Just be sure the surfaces are clean and dry. Good luck.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5234 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2016 :  06:31:54  Show Profile
Rug backing works like a charm. It's usually a white (or color) foam waffle material you put underneath throw rugs to prevent them slipping on hardwood floors. You can glue it underneath with rubber cement or not. They pick up dirt after awhile so it may be easier to keep it loose so you can either wash it or replace it.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2016 :  07:00:56  Show Profile
I've never heard of a workable solution. All the usual methods are undesirable, either because we don't want to drill holes in the boat, or glue stuff to the cushions, or because the materials can't tolerate the weather long. The best solution is to only bring out the cushions in moderate winds, never in strong, gusty winds. When they fall off the seats, they become a tripping hazard, and you can't move around the cockpit freely to work the boat.

A reasonable alternative is to give each person a throwable pfd cushion to sit on. Then each person can control his or her own cushion, instead of having to deal with one that's six feet long. If a small one falls onto the floor, at least you can step over it, something that you really can't do with one that's 6 feet long.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5234 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2016 :  08:59:03  Show Profile
I don't agree. Throwable pfds are not kind to our arses especially after a few hours' sail.
I have cushions that were "toppers" from either Igloo or Coleman coolers, so the vinyl material "sticks" to the bench seats (and also sticks to my legs). I also have two West-Marine "Go Anywhere" seats. These are quite comfortable as they provide back support, but will absolutely slide around if they don't have gripped stuff or the cushions underneath.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2016 :  09:29:00  Show Profile
My po had put two small eye hooks one forward and one aft just above the seat top on the coming wall. I never knew why so I removed them but never got around to filling in the holes. I am now thinking that he might have had webbing straps that went from the hook, Around the cushion and back to the hook in a loop. This sounds like it would work without having to glue anything to the cushions.Cushions aren't cheep so I don't potentially want to ruin them. I think I'm going to put the hooks back and get some adjustable Bimini straps and see if that works.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page