Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Unfinished topics
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/12/2016 :  16:03:23  Show Profile
Maybe its me or maybe I'm not alone but it kinda annoys me when people start a topic, ask many questions, Get many opinions and advice, Posted photos etc. then just abandon the thread. They never finish up by letting us know what they ended up doing or the results. Its like reading a book with the last page missing. It also kinda screws up someone searching the archives because they don't know what advise worked and what didn't.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3368 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2016 :  04:46:30  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Perhaps, as an experiment, select a few postings that you would really like to find out how an individual resolved an issue; made a selection; completed a project; see a photo and then reply back to the originator making the request via their posting thread or use their posting to send the originator a personal EMail with your request.

I think some are fishing for answers but may not actually be undertaking the action for some time. Then when they do take action, their original posting is very old. They may/may not start a new posting showing what they accomplished.

I recall eons ago (> 1 yr), I posted about potentially covering up my exterior teak (companionway boards, grab rails, trim) with Sunbrella to minimize deterioration of the wood finish. I was sharing/looking for some suggestions. That posting died out a long time ago. But now, I am starting to move forward on this project and I believe I reported that a couple of months or so ago and indicated it would be a slow moving project and sailing, etc would take priority over it. I wrote that posting thinking about the one I started over a year ago. Anyway, when I get to a major milestone, I will probably provide an update but they will be slow in coming. My progress has so far been on covering up the companionway boards - Sunbrella cut to fit, most snaps installed but a few to go. I bought wood finish stripper and now considering what I will finish the wood with...teak oil, sealer, varnish or Cetol. The reason going forward with this project is the realization that my tiller has the original varnish finish and looks great over 95% of it's surface ! How is that possible ? My tiller has always had a Sunbrella sleeve covering it when I am done for the day. The Sunbrella minimizes the finish deterioration from rain and UV rays. Anyway....I am getting carried away from your original posting.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 05/13/2016 04:52:37
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2016 :  05:05:54  Show Profile
Haha, this is great! I can definitely agree that it benefits everyone to follow up on how things turned out.

I try to always do that (Im still waiting on my v-berth cushions), but a lot of projects take on exaggerated timelines for one reason or another. Old threads regularly pop up with updates that close them out.

On the other hand, many people pop in here with a question, receive extremely helpful advice, experience and photos then leave without considering giving back (in the form of resolutions).

Now that I think about it, this place is kind of like a call center. "Is there anything else we can help you with today? Thank you for choosing CC25IA, where we value your business".

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2016 :  07:33:16  Show Profile
I think it's nice even to just acknowledge responses to a question--even if it doesn't lead to specific or immediate action. Sometimes we're left to wonder if the originator even read our responses or found any useful.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2016 :  07:18:30  Show Profile
I agree: we do not help our fellow members with a problem if the final decision/results are not posted. Chief

COMPASS ROSE C250WK
Tall Mast, Wing keel
PORT CHIEF, Bodega Bay Ca.
IE,EE,FCC lic #1890
Go to Top of Page

offshoreaccount
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2016 :  20:10:18  Show Profile
I love it more when the question is unanswered and followed up by OP responding "never mind, figured it out."

Offshore Account, 1977 Hull #243. SR, SK
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2016 :  04:57:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by offshoreaccount

I love it more when the question is unanswered and followed up by OP responding "never mind, figured it out."

That's usually the topic that everyone is waiting for either the search function to work or someone else to take it.

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2016 :  05:06:00  Show Profile
quote:

I hate to see any question go unanswered. When someone comes here for help or ideas, they should get it.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

offshoreaccount
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2016 :  17:57:00  Show Profile
Even better, when people a) get chastised for "not using the search, or b) Get yelled at for bumping a thread that is old. You just can't win sometimes.

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2016 :  18:30:46  Show Profile
quote:

Even better, when people a) get chastised for "not using the search, or b) Get yelled at for bumping a thread that is old. You just can't win sometimes.
(a) I'm one who occasionally suggests the Search feature to new participants--it is a valuable tool. But I don't recall seeing any "chastising". (b) When has somebody been "yelled at" for reviving an old thread? Sometimes adding a comment or information is more useful than starting a new one that is disconnected from the previous discussion. I guess some of us (like me) need to be more sensitive... But anyone who feels abused here had better stay away from Sailing Anarchy! (...and a most other web forums!)

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/16/2016 18:33:47
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3368 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2016 :  03:09:16  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
The Search tool is of great benefit and I use it and also recommend it as well for others to use it. As far as "chastising" those to use it, I do not recall myself or anyone posting a comment in a way that that would "chastise" someone to use it. All I can think of is perhaps it's that thing about emails and postings that can sometimes seem impersonal at times but not necessarily meant to be.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

offshoreaccount
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2016 :  10:28:43  Show Profile
Seems like my point was misunderstood. Those are nearly universal reactions on any forum I've ever been a part of. I am not address8ng anyone in particular, and am not particularly offended when I receive those responses. I search extensively, and just find it a funny response. Even funnier is when you are searching through old threads and can only find responses telling the OP to search.

Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2016 :  19:18:23  Show Profile

One way or the other, can anyone put a price on the value of accumulated information this forum has and is representing. For us (de-two-of-us) the value is priceless and is expressed in confidence of tackling any kind of project, in monetary value when selling and buying our boats, in security that someone has ideas, suggestions, comments to deal with past or present situations, in improving our boats abilities to accommodate a wide spectrum of usage, in the satisfaction that with the forum's input many projects have been and are completed successfully, in promoting many long lasting friendships and not least of all to extend the life-span of our sailboats far into the future.

So feel free to be cynical, annoying, short, long winded, repetitious, over or under stated, with or without conclusion, we like it all...

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2016 :  07:14:57  Show Profile
Yup--when I advertised my C-25 for sale, I added in the list of features something like this: "The finest community of owners on the Web: http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum ."

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2016 :  06:25:07  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
I'd rather be with you guys that the finest people in the world!

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2016 :  11:04:06  Show Profile
It is always a pleasure to see what is asked... and answered here.

I learned to sail from a C25 skipper who learned by the seat of his pants. Since joining the Association and taking part in the Forum, I have learned about:
- Anchoring safely
- Reducing sail
- Use of a gennaker
- Rules of the road
- Which guidebooks to use for seamanship
- Which guidebooks to use for sailboat repairs
- Which guidebooks and websites to use for other sailing venues
- Care and maintenance of standing rigging, running rigging, fiberglass, teak, electrical circuits, lights, plumbing, and others.

Last Saturday night I anchored out in a cove on the Magothy River (off the Chesapeake Bay) in 15-20 knot winds with gusts to 25 or so. I was well informed about my anchor, my rode, and the scope needed. I confirmed the good holding by checking for anchor drag on the GPS. I had a nice peaceful sleep in my sleeping bag.

I consider this the best kind of social networking! Thanks to everyone.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3368 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2016 :  03:43:53  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
John......and you forgot to mention that the social networking also extends to face-to-face. You thru your postings and interface with others have taken the next step in getting together to sail with others on this Forum besides me. But I enjoyed the 2-3 times we were able to meet and sail on each others Cat25s. I still recall when you turned over the tiller to me on the way back to the Magothy and I then had to negotiate those crab pots like a ski slalom course !

Dave - You have become one of the Forum's resident reference of all boat related info and also a Port Captain for those coming to or passing thru Mystic, Conn. I enjoyed the dinners we had the 1-2 times I was up in that area for work related reasons and also that time when my wife and I were headed to Plymouth, Mass and stopped by and you generously provided the Mystic Harbor tour onboard your boat complete with tour narrative.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2016 :  05:17:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

John......and you forgot to mention that the social networking also extends to face-to-face.

After talking on here with Steve Milby, ended up joining him for Wednesday night races on a Jeanneau 42 and now have been sailing Wednesday races with him for 2 seasons and have also jumped on his Cal 25 for a Friday night race and hopefully more. Steve, it's been great and I'm grateful for being able to join you and the others for great experiences and stories. It's been a pleasure. Also, you've got to come down for a sail on our boat sometime soon!

I've got the forum to thank for a lot of things.

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2016 :  22:27:31  Show Profile
I've had the good fortune to find this forum when I went looking for a keelboat and found Passage (that's a longish story I can go into elsewhere), but in the past two week I've met three fellow C25 Sailors. I always recommend this forum if they have any questions at all about their boats. One had a question about their Yamaha 9.9 outboard, another was wondering about my furler. My advice was, "Check the C25 forum"

But I also agree with Islander. If you've gotten the good advice you sought by coming here, please acknowledge it with a paragraph at least! Posting photos can be a wee bit challenging to the uninitiated. Just let us know.

Edited by - Voyager on 05/21/2016 22:30:54
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page