Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Racing Forum
 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peregrine
Admiral

Member Avatar

830 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/02/2016 :  13:33:18  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
Sad news from the Clipper Round The World Yacht Race.
Sarah Young, a British amateur sailor has died after being swept overboard by a wave while competing in the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/01/british-amateur-sailor-dies-in-clipper-round-the-world-yacht-rac/

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/03/2016 :  08:55:34  Show Profile
Saw that... She didn't clip in for some reason. That's two fatalities on that boat, which I saw had an all-amateur crew. From the conditions reported, it was probably lucky they found her at all.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/03/2016 08:56:59
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 04/03/2016 :  17:57:32  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Saw that... She didn't clip in for some reason. That's two fatalities on that boat, which I saw had an all-amateur crew. From the conditions reported, it was probably lucky they found her at all.

Wow! That's cold.
Ever race in big seas?

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/03/2016 :  19:40:59  Show Profile
I know very well people who have and do--for example in the Sydney-Hobart, the Trans-Atlantic, etc. They have rules--especially for night and storm conditions. We don't know what went wrong here, but something did. Hopefully a lesson will emerge. But no rules will absolutely prevent something like this on a racing sled out there in the North Pacific or the Southern Ocean--it's one reason most of us don't do that, or climb K2, or hike to the South Pole.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/03/2016 20:02:06
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 04/03/2016 :  20:18:10  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
"I know very well people who have and do"
So...
The answer is NO you don't know anything about racing in serious seas.
Those of of us who have raced in serious seas and winds do not clip in at all times. This may be dangerous but alot of work has to be done on deck without restrictions. At night, of course but in daylight in the cockpit. Rarely.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2016 :  05:12:57  Show Profile
I race frequently in wild conditions at night as well as in daylight, and in distance races as well as round-the-buoys. A well managed boat has SOPs. Among those SOPs for a distance race are, you clip in in rough weather, you clip in at night, you clip in when on deck alone. IMO, the best skippers enforce those SOPs. Most racers make some exceptions. You don't always clip on in mild conditions in daylight, especially while you're in the cockpit. I wear an inflatable pfd with harness, and have a whistle and strobe light attached, to help rescuers find me. She violated one or more of those SOPs and it cost her her life. At least two waves broke heavily into the cockpit and she wasn't clipped in. Recklessness is not a point of pride.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page